cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow bar recommendations

avan
Explorer
Explorer
This question is for those who have used more than one brand of tow bar or have done deep pro/cons investigation of various brands.

I’ve FT for 18 yrs and flat towed four of those years. I used a Blue Ox setup with their auto stop feature. I found it very easy to use but have never had experience with any other brand. The only negative I found was that when traveling, it was not worth the effort for me to remove those 6-8” connection ‘prongs’ that stuck out the fron of the toad. They were ugly, I always worried what might happen if someone backed into one in a parking lot since they w ere the forward most protrusion. And My shins got whacked more than once when I forgot they were there.

So after having been living and cruising on my boat fulltime, I’m now selling it in favor of going back on the road. So I need to buy a suitable 4 down toad and set it up for towing and hence my looking for advice from those who can make first hand comparisons and recommendations for set up. I liked the auto stop which I think is similar to something Roadmaster offers. I once had and out of frustration thru in the campground trash the Brake Buddy system.

Your thoughts and why please.
www.putt10.net
8 REPLIES 8

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Demco
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank all. This forum has improved in the past few years. Post requesting info on tow bars with 5.5 responses on point and only 1/2 post telling me what tow vehicle to buy! ??
www.putt10.net

Ponderosa
Explorer
Explorer
I've settled on a blue ox base plate for my Colorado with a Ready Brute Elite towbar. It is the best all around setup I have found and I would recommend you go this direction. I did my own install of everything. I just leave my prongs mounted on the truck. They don't rust or loose their shine where I live.
2015 Thor Windsport 32N

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The newer Blue Ox base plates with the twist and snap pin receivers are real nice. But you have to remove them. If you leave them in like some people do with a trailer hitch they will rust in place.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the newer options I replaced an older roadmaster setup with new because I could eliminate pins and crossbars on a Jeep I have, now it’s the wire, safety chain and tow bar and two twist lock knuckles to pull out and I’m done, I use rubber plugs to fill the holes
Winnebago Access 24V

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I just removed my "prongs". problem solved. not as ugly as some other types of hookup.
bumpy

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a Jeep Wrangler for the toad, Ready Brute Elite tow bar and brake combo, and a Roadmaster Falcon2 EZ5 base plate. Easy, foolproof, and no power requirements by the Jeep when being towed.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I use a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar, that has an integrated mechanical auxiliary braking system, coupled to a Blue Ox base plate. It only takes a moment to pull on the captive pins and twist to remove the "horns" when I disconnect. I insert a pair of rubber plugs to keep out dirt and debris. Over the years I have worked with Roadmaster and Demco base plates and still find the Blue Ox "horns" the simplest to remove and replace.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate