cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coach battery replacement

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to replace the coach batteries. Do not do enough boondocking to justify AGM or lithium. Regular lead acid is fine. Suggestions on which brand seems the best appreciated. Might as well do the chassis battery as well. Gasser with Ford V-10. Suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
For the chassis battery I would go with Walmart. If it fails Walmart stores are everywhere.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not going to suggest a brand.. I will say mine are DEKA G-20's (GC-2 class 6 volt by 230 amp hours make one 12 volt 230 amp hour battery when put in series and then we start paralleling) I had Interstates in the past.. Why did I switch.. What the store carried.. Both are good. Trojan's have a very good rep as well..

Before you do anythign get either two SMALL cans of spray paint (Hobby stores have small cans) or nail polish .. one red and one black.

Now the wires that go from a battery to who knows where (not to another battery) Of the battery terminal is POSITIVE spray or paint 'em red

If Negative black>

Let dry
Take pictures clearly showing hookup

Note 2: Traditionally red is positive in automotive and electronics and black negative but in the wonderful wacky world of RV's. "Tradition" is a word in the dictionary.. For the house is wired by ELECTRICIANS and they use a different color code. Thus paint first. disconnect a day later to let paint dry

And if more than one wire (other than battery to battery jumpers) on a terminal use a twist tie, zip lock or other means to join them so one does not get lost

Start by disconnecting the NEGATIVE than any jumpers lastly the POSITIVE and insulate those (even if all you do is wrap a shop cloth around 'em) just to be safe.. Reconenct in reverse order.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam's Club Dural Cells in my coach. House has a pair of GC2's that will keep the 10 cu ft residential fridge going all night while the V10 starts easily on a group 65 size battery.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Duracell at Sams. GC2..About $90/ea..Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Best "bang for the buck" is Interstate at Costco or Duracell at Sams.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been happy with the Walmart DC-29
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
I switched to AGM when my 8 year old Interstate 6 Volt batteries died. If i didn't want more capacity and needing to relocate the battery bank inside the MH, I would have definitely went back to the Interstates. I never had to add water in the first 7 years of use and only started to having to add water the last few months of their life.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine at AutoWise, biggest deep cycle they had. They brought them out and installed them for me, no charge.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I went the AGM route for the chassis battery, and I have found it to be robust going weeks without recharge. I did replace old group 31 lead-acid batteries with group 29 from O'Reilly's and have found them to work well. HTH
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief