cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HITCH QUESTION?????

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
what would be the advantages and disadvantages of using either a 5th wheel hitch or a goose neck hitch for towing a 5th wheel??? Or is it just personal preference??? thanks
7 REPLIES 7

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I would not adapt a 5th wheel over to a gooseneck. That extends the length of the 5'ers hitch and puts too much stress on it. Many people have done this though.
The gooseneck has much much more articulation, but must be lined up perfect before dropping the trailer on it.
I personally would want a factory gooseneck if I could choose.
With campers you are almost always stuck with only a 5'er option.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses and info... think when I am ready will stay with the 5th wheel hitch... thanks again...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What the advantages of a 5th wheel I can not tell you for I've only driven one once and it was a SEMI truck.. And many many years ago (like the 1970s) I know there must be some advantage but I do not know what it is. Will let otehrs cover that.

But there is also a "Disadvantage" in that you have that big 5th wheel gear sitting in the truck unless you remove it when not towing Takes up a whole lot of 'Floor Space' in the bed.

With a goosneck you have only the round ball and that may even retract so you have the full bed open for use when not towing and half of it when you are.

One caution however I've seen two gooseneck systems.. one is the Goose Box (I think it's by reese hitch but not sure) I have seen pictures and this is a good system to my eye.

The other is a king pin converter basically a long pipe that screws on over the king pin and has a ball hitch on the lower end.. . Now I've seen this one up close and bent all to hadies when the driver spiked the brakes (Actully it was the pin box that was bent) I would strongly recommend against it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many frame manufacturers won't warranty with gooseneck pinbox.

Buy whatever B&W that fits your needs, carry on!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Has been debated for years here. Only real downsides mentioned is that it may void your warranty on a new trailer, it may be harder see the ball to hitch up, and the need for safety chains in many states since it is a ball type hitch. And hooking up the safety chains can be a little difficult for a shorter person. But most people who use them seem to really like them.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Try this post.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
I SURELY SEE A LOT MORE 5TH WHEEL HITCHES BEING USED, IS THERE A REASON WHY???