Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tow Vehicle Advice For Newbie
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle Advice For Newbie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of high quality advice here, hopefully the OP will realize that. It makes no sense to go w less than a 250/2500 and a 350/3500 is about the same money as a 250 anyway.

busterja21

Elizabeth CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should check used f250's. Near me I see several 2017 CC 4x4 gassers xl's and xlt's with 30-40k miles for listed for around $30k.

2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

RVdreaming2020

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of awesome replies. Thanks all! So I've been looking around for f250's. I'm not sure I;; be able to stretch my budget up that far. In my area it's looking like the used ones fall in 37k range. I was already stretching a bit to spend 30k. I'll keep looking around to see what I can find.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

If I was waking into a 7,000 lb trailer and didn’t already have a TV I would opt for a 3/4 ton truck. The 7,000 lb dry trailer will be 8,000-8,500 lbs. loaded.

That being said, if you can find a F-150 with 1700-2,000 lbs of payload and the 5.0 Coyote (the 3.5 EcoBoost is a fine engine, and I would not be afraid of it at all) and 3:55 sir better axle ratios you should be okay.

JMHO based on experience.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Said it was 7000 loaded. And as you said, would be fine with a 5.0, and 3.73. That is what I have, and it does GREAT. Problem is. they are few and far between. Most 150s now come with high MPG gearing, and low GVWRs. I looked at every new F150 on my dealers lot last trip, and the highest GVWR I could find was a 7050lb. There was not one 3.73 on the lot. And the only 3.55 came with a EcoBoost. The rest were all 3.35, 3.15, and higher. They wanted to trade.
I told them they didn't have a truck on the lot as good as mine.
BYW. i was there for a oil change

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another question is where do you plan on towing. Being from eastern NC myself, I've made several trips to the NC mountains with a 1500 Chevy (5.3) pulling a 28' Bunkhouse (6000#). That's border line in my opinion. That combo in the flat areas going to Myrtle Beach is fine. When I took a cross country trip I up-sized to an F-250. My current TT is a 26' (couples trailer now that kids are out of the house) that weighs 5500#. I pull it with a F-150 3.5EB (long wheel base). I would not go any bigger than that for a long trip on a half ton truck. Agree with others, find the camper first. Also think you should be headed to looking in the 3/4 ton area. I've had them all (Chevy, Ford and Ram) and they are all good. Stay away from a few bad apples (Ford 6.0 for example).
A few more thoughts:
Long wheel base (Crew with 6.5' bed) tends to lessen the sway and will carry your motor cycles better, but can be a pain in the a$$ to park in some urban areas.
Gas vs diesel, it's always easier to pull into a truck stop and get diesel than to pull up at a station a fight for a good spot at the gas pumps.
Larger tanks - Ram and Ford can be found with 35+/- gallon tanks in a half ton, helps in the previous issue.
Watch the payload, with growing kids, your payload will increase (as will the need for room in the back seat). Another 3/4+ ton benefit.

Good Luck

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVdreaming2020 wrote:

Lots of awesome replies. Thanks all! So I've been looking around for f250's. I'm not sure I;; be able to stretch my budget up that far. In my area it's looking like the used ones fall in 37k range. I was already stretching a bit to spend 30k. I'll keep looking around to see what I can find.

That's high if you're looking at gas powered trucks with the mileage you put in your original post. Try looking for a little lower trim levels. I would think you'd get a good deal right now but then again some industries are booming right now despite all of what's happening, maybe including used trucks. I haven't been following it so I don't know. I do think you're very wise to look for an HD model over a half ton for your stated uses. I daily drive my diesel truck and it's perfectly comfortable and I prefer the way it drives compared to a half ton.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RVdreaming2020

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packpe89 wrote:

Stay away from a few bad apples (Ford 6.0 for example).

What makes the ford 6.0 a bad apple?

I found this one. Its 6k over my budget though.

https://www.carmax.com/car/18638151

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Don’t violate the rule! Buy or select the travel trailer first. Match an appropriate tow vehicle to the trailer.

That's not a rule, silly...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6.0 Diesel from the 2003 to 2007 or so.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVdreaming2020 wrote:

packpe89 wrote:

Stay away from a few bad apples (Ford 6.0 for example).

What makes the ford 6.0 a bad apple?

I found this one. Its 6k over my budget though.

https://www.carmax.com/car/18638151

The truck in the link is a 6.2 gas. Looks like a really nice, clean low mileage plain-Janeish truck. The older 6.0 diesel is inexpensive (to buy), readily available engine with a great snarly sound and is a strong puller. I wish my stock 7.3 pulled like one. However, they are also a ticking time bomb of a money pit and probably the least reliable truck diesel engine out there. Do a little Google research and steer clear of them unless you like to spend time under the hood (or with the cab removed). [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle Advice For Newbie
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.