cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TIres, looking for long wearing, all weather load range E

Dennisokey
Explorer
Explorer
What is anyone using for tires. It seems that I go through tires at about 25k. I keep vehicle aligned and tires rotated regularly, air at 80 PSI on rear tires. Trailer weight is 14k. No irregular tire wear. 80% highway driving, 20% highway towing. I just don't seem to get good tire wear. Any ideas?
54 REPLIES 54

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced the POS OEM Firestone AT that came on my `18 Ram 2500 with 32K miles. Went with Cooper ATP for $187 at Discount Tire. I drive about 33K miles a year so no matter what brand I go with, the're gonna be replaced fairly often.

Couldn't justify spending $250-300 more for a set with a lesser treadlife warranty.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
autorot8 wrote:
I just went with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. These do come with a 60k mile warranty.

I put them on my truck 5 or so years ago and they are wearing really well. They will age out before they mileage out.

They perform well in rain/snow.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
I took my Firestone ATs off at 29K(drive around the block and see less tread), the Michelin's Defenders have about 37K on them and are about half worn out.

Seemz ya getz whatz ya payz fer!!!

X2, my oem Firestone HTs were the worst tires I've ever owned. Shot at 24K miles. Great marketing; I'll never buy a Firestone product

It has far less to do with brand and far more to do with the sub standard spec tires that that auto mfgs purchase by the millions to shoe new vehicles with.
Typically only low volumeโ€specialtyโ€ vehicles get real tires, most models get a cheaper version of a โ€œpopularโ€ tire model.

I was at my local Discount Tire today and asked the same question to the salesman. He confirmed that unless you have a high end model like a Denali or something similar, then the Brand X tire that comes on the truck as OEM vs the Brand X tire that you buy at the store are NOT the exact same tires.

He did go on to say that the tires Michelin that are on the Ford's OEM 3/4 & 1T are the same ones that are sold as retail, so if you didn't like OEM, then you're not gonna like the store bought ones expecting a better tire.

I've had this theory for quite a while. I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks this. I buy new vehicles quite often and rarely get past 24,000 miles out of anything. I do drive more aggressive and thought that may be it, but my wife's cars do the same.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

jolvi
Explorer
Explorer
Had a set of Big O AT made and same as Cooper AT3 nade by Cooper lasted probably 50,000 miles they still had plenty of tread and never had an issue. My complaint was that I wanted somethng that was quiet and they were for about 10,000 miles then they started the AT rumble and whine. They were wearing even but just noisy. Have put on a set of Continental Terrain Contact load range E. They are extremely quiet and work great in rain, no snow yet but they are MS rated we shall see. My mileage went up about 2 miles per gallon with them on there. This is a 1/2 ton pickup just in case that matters to anyone.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennisokey wrote:
What is anyone using for tires. It seems that I go through tires at about 25k. I keep vehicle aligned and tires rotated regularly, air at 80 PSI on rear tires. Trailer weight is 14k. No irregular tire wear. 80% highway driving, 20% highway towing. I just don't seem to get good tire wear. Any ideas?
I have and recommend top line Goodyear.
Wrangler All-Terrain with Kevlar

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
I took my Firestone ATs off at 29K(drive around the block and see less tread), the Michelin's Defenders have about 37K on them and are about half worn out.

X2, my oem Firestone HTs were the worst tires I've ever owned. Shot at 24K miles. Great marketing; I'll never buy a Firestone product

It has far less to do with brand and far more to do with the sub standard spec tires that that auto mfgs purchase by the millions to shoe new vehicles with.
Typically only low volumeโ€specialtyโ€ vehicles get real tires, most models get a cheaper version of a โ€œpopularโ€ tire model.

I was at my local Discount Tire today and asked the same question to the salesman. He confirmed that unless you have a high end model like a Denali or something similar, then the Brand X tire that comes on the truck as OEM vs the Brand X tire that you buy at the store are NOT the exact same tires.

He did go on to say that the tires Michelin that are on the Ford's OEM 3/4 & 1T are the same ones that are sold as retail, so if you didn't like OEM, then you're not gonna like the store bought ones expecting a better tire.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had good luck with BF Goodrich all terrains KO. Think last time I got around 60,000/
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ron3rd wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
I swapped out my factory Michelinโ€™s last summer as the weโ€™re getting down to around 5/32 and really didnโ€™t provide wet weather performance anymore. I went with General Grabber ATX in the factory size and have been extremely happy to date. They are very good in the snow and rain, as for wear itโ€™s harder to tell as Iโ€™ve only got around 15000kmโ€™s on them currently but they have only worn down to 14/32 to date - should be a 60000-70000km tire.

Well i hope your Generals last longer than the OE's on my 11 DRW did. At 25k they only had 1/3 tread left and had a big tread separation on a front tire.

Itโ€™s the newest revamp of their Grabber line, I agree that the **** that got put on as OEM over the last several years wasnโ€™t much good but everything Iโ€™ve read and now experienced with the latest batch of new General products has been positive. Normally I run Michelinโ€™s but decided on a change because of all the positive reviews and tests, plus these tires were nearly 600$ less for the set than another pair of the Michelin AT2โ€™s so I figured why not.

I run Defender MS on my wifeโ€™s Explorer during the summer and also Pilot Super Sports on the Shelby so Iโ€™m quite familiar with the quality and performance.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cummins2014 wrote:
ppine wrote:
Toyo, Cooper, Bridgestone
I have gotten 60,000 miles from Toyos on an F-350 doing a lot of towing.
I run my rear tires mostly around 60 psi.
I don't normally rotate tires at all.

I wish I would see 60K on my Toyo AT2's , fair amount of towing on my Ram 3500. I will be happy if I see 45K. rotated every 5K. They are run at 80 psi when towing the fifth wheel ,and 45 when solo.

Not sure what brand next, but it won't be Toyo, may try a set of Coopers

You are dreaming if you think you'll get much if any more than that out of a real AT tread tire, especially towing or hauling heavy even 50% of the time.
But like everything else, ones definition of when a tire is "done" varies. Driving habits, terrain, climate etc all vary.
However Toyo ATII and Cooper AT3 are a couple of the top performers. Along with the Goodyear AT with Kevlar mentioned above.
Also, if rotating every 5k, you might be doing your tires a dis service. Should be no need to rotate that frequently in most conditions (heavy Mountian driving excepted maybe) and how are you rotating? Just blindly rotating X pattern or just blindly dropping truck at the shop to have someone move the tires around?
If you learn to read the tires wear pattern and its differnet for different vehicles and conditions, and rotate to the optimal position to correct or maximize tread wear, it'll help.

One other tire worth mentioning, even though it's a MT tire and an unlikely candidate at that, is Firestone MT. Bought a set about 5 years ago, for winter tires. Was the cheapest non cheapo brand on Amazon that day, lol. Had them siped, inner tread blocks only. Then left them on year round. Truck mostly hauls camper and tows. Guessing they have around 35k miles or so on them and they are wearing awesome. Still 2/3 tread left and wearing beautifully. They might be the longest lasting tires all things considered I've ever had.
Guessing they're a very hard compound tire, but the siping allows them to have great traction as well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Toyo, Cooper, Bridgestone
I have gotten 60,000 miles from Toyos on an F-350 doing a lot of towing.
I run my rear tires mostly around 60 psi.
I don't normally rotate tires at all.

I wish I would see 60K on my Toyo AT2's , fair amount of towing on my Ram 3500. I will be happy if I see 45K. rotated every 5K. They are run at 80 psi when towing the fifth wheel ,and 45 when solo.

Not sure what brand next, but it won't be Toyo, may try a set of Coopers

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
alexleblanc wrote:
I swapped out my factory Michelinโ€™s last summer as the weโ€™re getting down to around 5/32 and really didnโ€™t provide wet weather performance anymore. I went with General Grabber ATX in the factory size and have been extremely happy to date. They are very good in the snow and rain, as for wear itโ€™s harder to tell as Iโ€™ve only got around 15000kmโ€™s on them currently but they have only worn down to 14/32 to date - should be a 60000-70000km tire.

Well i hope your Generals last longer than the OE's on my 11 DRW did. At 25k they only had 1/3 tread left and had a big tread separation on a front tire.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
No one here has said Goodyear...

RedRocket204 wrote:
I'm currently running Goodyear Wrangler Duratac now with about 25k miles and still looking good. I suspect I might get 40k miles out of them. My priorities were around load range E with decent traction on snow.
I love me some land yachting