cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carlisle Sport Trail LH Bias Trailer Tire

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
The Marathon tires on my new to me trailer look brand new but are 4 years old. My last couple of trailers,I installed LT tires but the size seems limited these days. Is anyone running Carlisle Sport Trail LH Bias Trailer Tire - ST205/75D14 LRC/6ply tires? I reallydon't trust trailer tires but these being a sort of old school Bias ply and pretty cheap may be worth a try. Good weight and speed rating. May be worth a try.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley
18 REPLIES 18

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
My last 2 trailers,and one was brand new,I replaced all the trailer tires with LTs and never had a problem. I would like to find a 215 75 15 LT with a highway tread but they just aren't available, that I can find. Is there really a problem with bias ply tires? I would rather have a little truck tire than a trailer tire if possible.

Years back we had 14" LT and lots of 15" LT tires for 1/2 ton trucks and S10 size trucks. Truck mfg don't use those sizes anymore so tire mfg dropped them.

We have several usa tire mfg still producing a LT235/75-15 C load range at 1980 lbs capacity and around 28.8" diameter.
Goodyear markets a LT215/85-15 load range D (65 psi) at 2095 lbs capacity and around 27-7" diameter. Check out USA tire mfg websites for current 15" LT tire size and load ranges.

Just for info.....ST tires come in old tech bias ply and radial tires....just like a P and LT tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
manley wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
US Made GY ENDURANCE, not a single non road hazard failure in over 3 years on the market. Discount tire will have fresh date codes and good pricing.

I just ordered set yesterday. I figured that4 years on my OEM Maypops was enough! Local tire store told me it is the ONLY American made trailertire they can get. Marathons are made in China, fyi.

Good call! You will be happy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

manley
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
US Made GY ENDURANCE, not a single non road hazard failure in over 3 years on the market. Discount tire will have fresh date codes and good pricing.

I just ordered set yesterday. I figured that4 years on my OEM Maypops was enough! Local tire store told me it is the ONLY American made trailertire they can get. Marathons are made in China, fyi.
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LITEPHIL wrote:
My last 2 trailers,and one was brand new,I replaced all the trailer tires with LTs and never had a problem. I would like to find a 215 75 15 LT with a highway tread but they just aren't available, that I can find. Is there really a problem with bias ply tires? I would rather have a little truck tire than a trailer tire if possible.

Get over it. Get the highest load capacity ST tire your tight wallet will allow you to buy and get on with life.

Idk why bias ply tires still exist. They do have the advantage of stiffer sidewalls, apples to apples, but thatโ€™s about where it ends.

On a good note, I bought a trailer to tow to AK that was near new and had bias tires.
Made it all the way to Anchorage with no issues and the trailer was definitely loaded to capacity maybe more. But Iโ€™ve never seen treadwear that great.
That 1700 mile drive (cut off some on the ferry) used up about half the tread. No real basis for comparison though since the only other bias ply tire Iโ€™ve seen in at least 25 years is a spare tire hanging on the back of my โ€˜74 Jeep and that tire is likely within a few years of being as old as I am! Itโ€™s actually holding air still!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one advantage to bias ply is that when the tire fails it will shred softly and do less damage to the vehicle than a steel belted radial.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
So let me tell you about my experiences with bias tires. Ran them form the 70's up until about 2012 or so.

Never had any problems with them at all. Never. I ran all makes and models. Early I ran Goodyears but then I went to cheap China stuff. Never really found a difference for wear. I ran them hard. I usually tow 70 to 75 MPH. Weight, not so much, but I did run them fast.

I also liked them because they had nylon cords in them instead of steel belts like modern radials. The one time I did run a tire low because of a nail the tire disintegrated with no problems. If that happened with a steel belt radial it would not have ended so well.

Also, Bias tow "better" IMHO. Why? Just go to a local tire store and tell them you want to look at a bias and a radial side by side. The radial sidewall will flop around like a limp.....er... it's just weak. Now look at the bias sidewall. See the difference? Huge difference in sidewall construction.

This super stiff sidewall makes for a good towing experience as far as wind buffet goes.

So after 2012 or so I got my first set of radials. Maxis tires. They wore great and seemed to tow pretty good. No problems with them at all. They for sure wore a LOT better than the China tires I used to get. But they were also a LOT more expensive!

A few years back I got a new trailer that is heavy. I also needed new tires on it so I bought Carlisle radials for it. I have about 15K on them now and they look like brand new still. Also good tires and they tow good too but not as good as the old bias I use to run. The radials have a bit more side movement than the old radials. Not a bunch but some.

All in all they are both good tires and it just depends on what you want out of them.

Like I said, I didn't have any problems with either of them.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The only time that I put bias ply tires on a trailer I lost all 4 tires prematurely to either bulges or a blowout. I went back to a ST tire and no more unexpected problems.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
jesseannie wrote:
I have that tire on my travel trailer. Bought in early 2016. I have driven a lot of moles on them no problem.
I always check pressure and run them between 45-50 PSI.
Trailer is about 6K loaded.

Jesseannie

So,your happy with those Carlisle Sport Trail LH Bias Trailer Tire - ST205/75D14 LRC/6ply tires ? I'm around 6,000 lb also.Thanks!
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I have that tire on my travel trailer. Bought in early 2016. I have driven a lot of moles on them no problem.
I always check pressure and run them between 45-50 PSI.
Trailer is about 6K loaded.

Jesseannie

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
I buy nothing with the name carlisle on it.

Double ditto, nor bias ply. Add those 2 together and have your roadside assistance paid up.

I told myself years ago that I would never buy trailer tires since they all seem like junk. But here I am probably buying trailer tires again. I've seen more problems with the Marathons than any others but then again, I wonder how old they were.
Thank you all for the input here
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I buy nothing with the name carlisle on it.

Double ditto, nor bias ply. Add those 2 together and have your roadside assistance paid up.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Maxii 8008 has been very good last few years, suffered several blowouts with Carlile.