Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Traveling around lake michigan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Traveling around lake michigan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
lonewolf80

campground

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the corrections guys, but neither the less, great place to visit.
At Tahquamenon Falls SP my wife and I actually used our kayaks to view the lower falls and go up to the island to see the upper falls. They have a kayak ramp along the stairway down to the water that you slide your kayak down along the steps and handrail, reverse taking them up. The only problem is if the water is high like when we visited two-three years ago there isn't a whole lot of land to launch from, or more difficult to land and retrieve. But, we got it done and it was quite incredible!

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

State Parks are closed in MI until June 22, however, all other campgrounds are opening the end of May unless the governor extends the stay at home again. I hope not as we are waiting for our seasonal site at a county park to open. Other than weekends or holiday times there are usually sites available. Michigan has a lot of campgrounds.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 02:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I'd just stay in the UP. Skip the west shore in Wisconsin and Illinois, because you won't find anything as nice as what you will on the east shore... Use that time to go along the Lake Superior shore and see Pictured Rocks and the Porcupine Mountains.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

US RT 2 thru the Upper Peninsula is a must.

Few people know just how "wild" the UP of MI is !
True - when we went last year we felt like we were not missing Alaska...

Two of the highlights of our spectacular trip were Sleeping Bear Dunes and Tahquamenon Falls - not to be missed!

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

Two of the highlights of our spectacular trip were Sleeping Bear Dunes and Tahquamenon Falls - not to be missed!

We were on a trip last fall and loved the Sleeping Bear area so much that we hit the brakes and stayed in the area for almost a week.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lonewolf80

campground

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just yesterday, 5/22 I was mentioning to my wife that I could go back to Traverse City and Traverse City State Park and spend a week or more. Twenty miles from Sleeping Bears, two and a half miles to downtown Traverse City which is somewhat eclectic with shops, restaurants, and pubs and beautiful Lake Michigan.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Traveling around lake michigan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.