Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Support trailer build and story...ideas and the why
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Support trailer build and story...ideas and the why

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome build! I'm new to the TC world after having a TT for 20 years, so I am curious, what makes this a better option than a toy hauler? Most TH's come with 100 gal FW tank, 50 gal fuel tank for the toys, large gen set up etc etc. I guess this gives you the flexibility to leave the extra capacity home and just travel with the TC on shorter trips if you want to?

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing a trailer behind your TC is optional. This weekend, we were away without ours and in couple of weeks we will back to the same area with the trailer for a longer stay. This flexibility in not having to always trailer or deal with a long vehicle is what kept us in truck campers and drove us away from toy haulers. We still miss our 5500w Onan supplied by a 40 gallon tank and 150 gallons of fresh water, but we have adapted to our 65 gallon fresh tank and tote along an addition 84 gallons in the trailer. I did like having 220VAC available to run welders and compressors, but now leave those things home and ride a little more cautiously...

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Awesome build! I'm new to the TC world after having a TT for 20 years, so I am curious, what makes this a better option than a toy hauler? Most TH's come with 100 gal FW tank, 50 gal fuel tank for the toys, large gen set up etc etc. I guess this gives you the flexibility to leave the extra capacity home and just travel with the TC on shorter trips if you want to?

Snowmobiles and fishing boat. Neither works well with a toy hauler. This gives us one more option while still keeping our main two activities workable.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '11 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Well done report, workmanship and photos. What is the trailer’s minimum ground clearance? Departure angle?

She's not a long trailer; ground clearance is about 13" I think. We tow a 28' box with an extended tongue..and I get along fine with that, so I never really put much thought into the angles when I ordered this one.

The truck is 4x, but in our world, fire roads are about it for driving 'off road'. I can always back up if it doesn't look right, lol.

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

Reality Check wrote:

Fisherman wrote:

I'm surprised no one has commented the storing of propane tanks INSIDE the trailer and not UPRIGHT. If one of those ever decided to vent and find an ignition point, there won't be much left.

I had a bit of discussion prior to the rack on that. I'm totally comfortable with them in the trailer; it's not a living space, it's well ventilated at all time, and did I mention I don't live in it?

As for the storage, we work for some LP companies, and last summer we were putting in a couple more foundations for larger tanks at a 'filling station' (think production line for the little 20# tanks...by the thousands). Other than the propane 'safety course' we had to go through again, I spoke at length with the techs there about this. In the end, it was making sure the tank stands vertical for awhile before using it, to let any liquid in the valve settle out. I was going to make a standing rack with chains/doors, etc, but they actually headed me in this direction. I'll let you know how it works out.

Great then, looks like you crossed your T's and dotted the i's.

Well, I don't know about that, ( T's and i's ). No gold star needed. You brought up a real valid point and the door isn't closed on the issue. Wouldn't be the first time in my life that I've changed my mind after learning something new. I ran with a bit of the "that'll work" on this, after the discussion. I do wish I'd put more angle in the shelves. We'll see. Appreciate the input.

bwc

Atlantic Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for that awesome trailer re do. I really do agree with you about the 16" tire vs the junk 15" ST tire. With 16's you now have many choices in the LT tire range from an array of excellent tire manufacturers. Good luck on your build and be safe out there.

2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Awesome build! I'm new to the TC world after having a TT for 20 years, so I am curious, what makes this a better option than a toy hauler?

With a truck camper and cargo trailer, You don't have to live with the motorcycles (like in a non garage model toy hauler).

I had a toy hauler from 2003-2009. I liked it, but the rig was not exactly user friendly. I got tired of climbing the ladder to get in and out of the rear bunk. The dinette was unusable with my motorcycle in the rig. This was long before the days of electric lift beds.

I revisited the toy hauler idea over the last 6 months. The thought was to get a toy hauler again as a way of reducing my fleet of RVs and trailers. As much as I tried to talk myself into it, I still don't want to live with my motorcycle(s) when I makes stops where I won't be riding. A truck camper and cargo trailer just work so much better for gear and motorcycles.

A cargo trailer serves many other purposes too. When I moved across the state of WA in 2013, I used my 8.5x20 to haul my junk. I think I made 4 or 5 trips.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You built a very nice trailer. I bet it works well for you. You have a lot of the same ideas I do. Love it!! Congrats and enjoy it.

2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host ordered
2021 Ram 5500 ordered

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really cool build, I could see something like this in my future once the kids are grown up, I’d use it as more of a shop with space for bikes, a side by side and a couple of smokers and grilles but much the same concept.

TV - 17 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 15 Durango 296BH + B&W Companion
others - 17 Shelby GT350 | 21 Expedition Max Platinum | 14 Mustang GT | 87 Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 21 Maverick X3 DS Turbo R | 12 John Deere 1023E

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Support trailer build and story...ideas and the why
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.