cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sagging springs on 2 yr old TT ??

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
I took our trailer to a shop for a wheel bearing repack. They have done work for me before and have good ratings. I think I can trust them.

As part of the service, they checked the springs. They said the springs were sagged out of spec and need to be replaced.
The trailer is 2 years old and I have about 10,000 miles on it.
I am skeptical.

I have a 2018 Arctic Fox 25Y TT. GVWR = 10,000lbs. Net carrying capacity = 3147 lbs.
No, I have not weighed it loaded as we normally load it.
It is my wife and I...no kids or pets.
I find it difficult to imagine that we load 3000 lbs into the trailer.

Does this sound possible? Sagging springs after 2 years and 10k miles?
I have an extended service contract. I have not asked yet, but is something like this normally covered?

Thanks!
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT
28 REPLIES 28

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Concluding this subject.
I found a good shop in Reno/Sparks willing to work wit the extended warrantee company.  They got the job done in 2 days.  Replaced the 2600 lb springs with 3000 lb springs.  Extended warrantee covered a majority of the cost.  Waiting to see if Dexter will do anything.  All is good.
Shout out to  Preserve RV, the extended warrantee company.  Easy to deal with and covered the claim!
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ESC usually do not cover SAGGING springs. They will cover busted/broken springs. AS to LCI or Dexter. BOTH have had an occasional spring issue. We sell Jayco and we have replaced sagging springs with both LCI and Dexter. It can take a LOT of time and pics and dealing with the Warranty people at Dexter and LCI. MOST (almost all) Trailer makers palm spring/frame issues off on the Frame/Axle makers. Your warranty will explain that. NOT an ESC, but your original Factory OEM warranty. I usual time from start to replacement of either the springs or a complete Axle, the warranty process including shipping time runs 4 to 6 weeks. This type problem is for when you have a good selling dealer. Doug

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up from my original post............
I contacted Northwood and they said to contact Dexter. Here is what I sent to Dexter:
-------------
Attached are 4 pictures of the 4 springs.
The measurements I made are:
Driver front โ€“ 25 15/16 or 25 7/8
Passenger front โ€“ 26
Driver rear โ€“ 25 ยพ
Passenger rear 26
The driver side has the slide in it.

The trailer is not completely loaded. ยฝ tank of water, empty holding tanks, no food or clothes.

I weighed the trailer earlier. With ยฝ tank water, ยฝ tank grey, ยฝ tank black, no food or clothing. It weighed 8600 lbs. GVWR is 10,000

Please let me know if you think the springs are OK.
To be clearโ€ฆ. Your โ€œspecificationโ€ is 26โ€ eye to eye when on the ground and loaded. What is the range? Is my 25 ยพ out of range?
---------------
Here is what Dexter sent back:
-------------------
I looked at your photos and showed them to a service tech here at Dexter. We both agreed that the springs are not flattened, but that they did look a little suspect, especially with the trailer not being fully-loaded. One thing that he pointed out was that the bottom, smallest, leaf on some of the springs appeared to have reverse bending, most notably on the passenger side of the axles. I would say that, even though it may not be immediate, you will probably have an issue with the springs if they are not replaced.
-------------
I am now pursuing warrantee coverage. I have a contract with Preserve RV.
Any thoughts or comments from you will be much appreciated!
Cheers
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Many axles have Communist China spindles welded to the pipes here in the USA, I guess that helps match the Communist Chinese bearings.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whenever mentioning China be sure to add the Proper word "COMMUNIST".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
AF would be one of the last companies to under size the suspension. They are known for enormous gross weight carrying capacity.

I had a Nash trailer that weighed around 5,800 pounds. The gross carrying capacity was 10,000 pounds.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
During this intermission time...
I am in an industry that sees steel from china, steel from Europe and from America...
The china steel we see is horrible. It might be alloyed with anything. They buy scrap steel and have no idea what is already alloyed with it and melt it then use it. Spring steel is very specific mix of alloys, but put recycled-who-knows-what into a spring steel vat and you get... wait for it.... cheap china carp.. rap

I am so thankful that the days of china influx garbage items will be slowing drastically in the future, I do hope so. Landfills are full of broken china junk.

So, are your axles china?

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Update from me, the OP......
I got under the trailer and took pictures. The springs look ok to the inexperienced eye. They still have a bow to them. I found the tags on the axle. They are rated for 5200 lbs each...which matches the GVWR of 10,000 lbs. I called Northwood and they told me to call Dexter. I am waiting for a return call from Dexter. I will report when resolved. Thanks for all your insights.
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Update from me, the OP......
I got under the trailer and took pictures. The springs look ok to the inexperienced eye. They still have a bow to them. I found the tags on the axle. They are rated for 5200 lbs each...which matches the GVWR of 10,000 lbs. I called Northwood and they told me to call Dexter. I am waiting for a return call from Dexter. I will report when resolved. Thanks for all your insights.
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
It is very possible. They put criminally undersized components on RVs. In the case of my Prowler trailer springs, they broke 3 times in 3 years. Very inconvenient when it happens on the road! The 4th time I had them replaced by a spring shop by the correctly-sized springs. The shop said the originals were way undersized. I hope to get many years from the upgraded springs.
David Kojen

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the tags on the axles. Make sure they are the correct capacity. Axles and springs usually go to the trailer manufacturer pre assembled. They have piles of them. Sometimes the wrong axles wind up on a trailer. I have read of this on RV forums several times, where someone had problems and found that they had axles that were 500 or a 1000 lbs below what was supposed to be installed, and I think in most cases the manufacturer replaced them with no real argument.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the tags on the axles. Make sure they are the correct capacity. Axles and springs usually go to the trailer manufacturer pre assembled. They have piles of them. Sometimes the wrong axles wind up on a trailer. I have read of this on RV forums several times, where someone had problems and found that they had axles that were 500 or a 1000 lbs below what was supposed to be installed, and I think in most cases the manufacturer replaced them with no real argument.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that flat springs, springs with a very minimal curve, or even springs that have a reverse curve do not mean that they have weakened or overloaded and need to be replaced. Springs can be designed with any shape and be fully functional. In the OP's case, I suspect the springs on his trailer were not designed to have a significant upward curve and the technician made a quick visual inspection and assumed the springs have been weakened and need to be replaced because of their being more flat than what is perceived as good serviceable springs.

The OP would be very wise to ask the repair center how they ascertained the springs need to replaced and what product do they propose to install.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Ltrip,

Before you spend any money or time on the springs, pay the 10$us for a trip across a truck scale. On your way to the camp would be best. When you get home, find a truck spring shop and talk to them. Manufactures buy a frame and axles and all and use what they have. They miss quite often. Thus far, the only trailer/RV I have not had to have the springs messed with is the coach in the sigfile....
Probably only because it doesn't have springs. (The torsion bars in the front can be adjusted.)

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.