Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sagging springs on 2 yr old TT ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Sagging springs on 2 yr old TT ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say if it is not causing a problem, you don't have a problem, and I'd bet warranty will say the same thing. And you dint have a problem till someone told you that you did,.....someone who stands to profit from a problem that you didn't have

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/20 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure, just ignore it, maybe it'll go away. [emoticon]

Photos

Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your comments!!
I am going camping tomorrow. Not ignoring it, but dealing with it later.
I got under and snapped pictures. I am no expert...obviously....but the springs are NOT flat. They still have a bow to them.
I sent an email to my dealer. Good guys. I expect an honest answer. I will call Northwood next week to discuss.
Probably wont be able to respond here until the weekend.
Cheers,

Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/20 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you find they are sagging, just change the, yourself. Did all four on my fifth wheel in 4 hours. Had some outrageous quotes.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 11:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who's specs... Theirs?! Do YOU think anything is wrong? Are they all arched the same? Do they bottom out... Look for marks on the frame. Do the tires show any odd wear? Does the trailer track straight... more of an alignment issue. Any broken leafs? I'm on my third Sunnybrook, all with Dexter 3500, 5200 or 6000 axles and spring/equalizers. My 98 rode terrible from it bottoming out... the axles were hitting the frame and it would literally toss gallon jugs of water out of the sink and onto the floor. When it was 8 y.o. I bought new springs, the exact replacements, and they turned out to have exactly the same arch. Just an example of how good springs DONT sag easily.
FWIW, on Dexters advice, I replaced the original 2600 lb springs with 3000 lb and more arch and that made a totally great riding rv out of it. Craig

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ltrip,

Before you spend any money or time on the springs, pay the 10$us for a trip across a truck scale. On your way to the camp would be best. When you get home, find a truck spring shop and talk to them. Manufactures buy a frame and axles and all and use what they have. They miss quite often. Thus far, the only trailer/RV I have not had to have the springs messed with is the coach in the sigfile....
Probably only because it doesn't have springs. (The torsion bars in the front can be adjusted.)

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember that flat springs, springs with a very minimal curve, or even springs that have a reverse curve do not mean that they have weakened or overloaded and need to be replaced. Springs can be designed with any shape and be fully functional. In the OP's case, I suspect the springs on his trailer were not designed to have a significant upward curve and the technician made a quick visual inspection and assumed the springs have been weakened and need to be replaced because of their being more flat than what is perceived as good serviceable springs.

The OP would be very wise to ask the repair center how they ascertained the springs need to replaced and what product do they propose to install.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the tags on the axles. Make sure they are the correct capacity. Axles and springs usually go to the trailer manufacturer pre assembled. They have piles of them. Sometimes the wrong axles wind up on a trailer. I have read of this on RV forums several times, where someone had problems and found that they had axles that were 500 or a 1000 lbs below what was supposed to be installed, and I think in most cases the manufacturer replaced them with no real argument.

Charles

Need a new owner for my 2007 Winnebago View 523H on a '06 Sprinter 3500 chassis. 30k+ mi, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.
Replaced by a '08 Thor FS180 travel trailer and 2003 Ram 2500 CTD 6 spd

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the tags on the axles. Make sure they are the correct capacity. Axles and springs usually go to the trailer manufacturer pre assembled. They have piles of them. Sometimes the wrong axles wind up on a trailer. I have read of this on RV forums several times, where someone had problems and found that they had axles that were 500 or a 1000 lbs below what was supposed to be installed, and I think in most cases the manufacturer replaced them with no real argument.

Charles

solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is very possible. They put criminally undersized components on RVs. In the case of my Prowler trailer springs, they broke 3 times in 3 years. Very inconvenient when it happens on the road! The 4th time I had them replaced by a spring shop by the correctly-sized springs. The shop said the originals were way undersized. I hope to get many years from the upgraded springs.

David Kojen

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Sagging springs on 2 yr old TT ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.