cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hood release cable frozen

atikovi
Explorer
Explorer
On a 1988 Fleetwood Southwind. I removed the cable and can't get any movement from either end. The plastic cover looks fine. Trying to work some lube into the ends but not having any luck. Does anyone make a replacement cable?
12 REPLIES 12

jy
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago my hood release cable broke at a late night gas stop when I was going to check the oil level.I removed the two latches and duct taped the hood shut for the rest of the trip.When I returned home I removed all the rest of the hood latch hardware and installed a pair of old fashioned hood pins.weren,t the prettiest but they were cheap,simple and effective.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cable lube tools can be bought for under $10. I lube my cables with Liquid Wrench chain and cable lube. Any lube with a spray tube will work with the cable lube tool.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take the cable to a motor cycle repair shop.. They have (or should have) a tool for lubrication of throtle and clutch cables on bikes.. this should work on your cable as well.. may well make it almost good as new if properly lubed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
atikovi wrote:
After 20 minutes of prying on both ends I got the cable broke free from whatever had it seized. It's not smooth but works good enough to let it pass inspection before I sell it.

Good to hear. Sometimes a little trans fluid will free up a seized cable. But glad it's working.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

atikovi
Explorer
Explorer
After 20 minutes of prying on both ends I got the cable broke free from whatever had it seized. It's not smooth but works good enough to let it pass inspection before I sell it.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Take it off and soak it in kerosene or diesel fuel for a couple of days. Flex it a number of times each day.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Explorer
Explorer
If it is frozen can you thaw it out to make it work?
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure replacement cables are available. Figuring out exactly what one to get might be a bit more challenging, but I don't think it should be too hard to get something that works or can be modified to work. Amazon lists any number of hood release cable assemblies (and that was just the first place I checked).

Control cables, more generally speaking, are used in a great many devices and are hardly uncommon parts.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also put one end in the vacuum cleaner hose and it will pull lube thru it until you find one.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are places where you basically take a tape measure to your cable and report the length. they get one at least that long (may be longer) you may also need a "Cable stop" type thing You then cut to length (With the thign pulled out Put the cable in place and push in the handle. then slip the stop over the cable and tighten the screw.. Instant universal cable. if all else fails. NAPA
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If that doesn't work try aftermarket. Lokar is a good brand!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check Amazon or take the old one to a car parts store. They should be able to find one that will work.
There are tons of hood release cables available.