Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yellow powder in fresh water tank vent tube
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Yellow powder in fresh water tank vent tube

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about the yellow, that's a lot of pollen. A lot.

For the sanitizing, any amount of bleach is not good for your dump seals. Believe the manual for my TT even says not to use it at all for cleaning sinks or toilets...oddly, it says to use bleach to sanitize but mentions nothing about dumping after the sanitizing process. We always do, though.

2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why the concern about the dump valve seals when sanitizing , do you drain the fresh bleach water through the gray tank ?
Mine goes out the drain valve on the fresh water tank and down the driveway to the gutter

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So here are the pictures of what I shook out of the vent hose into a coffee mug
By the way, I had meant to say a cup of bleach mixed into my 30 gallon tank, not a quart, but that still sounds like double the recommended strength. Better than 8 times the recommendation though.

The yellow powder was all at the tank end of the 2 foot vent hose, right at the fitting that is molded into the tank itself.

[image]
[image]
[image]

* This post was edited 05/12/20 11:41pm by All I could afford *

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like mostly pollen and some dirt.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I could afford wrote:

So here are the pictures of what I shook out of the vent hose into a coffee mug
By the way, I had meant to say a cup of bleach mixed into my 30 gallon tank, not a quart, but that still sounds like double the recommended strength. Better than 8 times the recommendation though.

The yellow powder was all at the tank end of the 2 foot vent hose, right at the fitting that is molded into the tank itself.

Do you have the type of water fill/vent that I linked to earlier? If so, are you going to do something about the disgusting thing? Is there ever a yellow haze on surfaces near the trailer that might be pollen?

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor.... I do have an exposed fill cap and exposed vent screen like in the picture you linked to. But mine does not have the little cap tether strap, it just has a small 1/8!inch hole in the center. I used to assume that was to help venting, but after seeing your picture I’m thinking that the tether strap broke off mine sometime before I bought the trailer. I will be up by it probably tomorrow afternoon and I’ll get a picture.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I could afford wrote:

Lynnmor.... I do have an exposed fill cap and exposed vent screen like in the picture you linked to. But mine does not have the little cap tether strap, it just has a small 1/8!inch hole in the center. I used to assume that was to help venting, but after seeing your picture I’m thinking that the tether strap broke off mine sometime before I bought the trailer. I will be up by it probably tomorrow afternoon and I’ll get a picture.

My guess is that the tether is lost. What is the major concern is that screened hole where any rain, road spray, wash water, dust and whatever goes in and continues to your "fresh" water tank. The majority of RVs use this disgusting arrangement. I did away with the cheap thing and installed a locking hatch with the water fill and vents inside.

[image]

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to take a picture when I was up there briefly this afternoon, but there is definitely a spot where I believe the tether strap at one point would have attached to the left side of the filler cap.

I may have to make some modifications to this area, but I find it odd that it took eight years of ownership for this yellow powder to become visibly noticeable and restrict the vent.

I reinstalled the perfectly clean vent tube today, so we will see if it happens again. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Yellow powder in fresh water tank vent tube
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.