Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bucket List Item on Ca-58
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > Bucket List Item on Ca-58

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone ever stop to see the railroad 360 loop on the West side of the Tehachapi while towing? Broome Rd Exit 142.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFVpq5NCiOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZCYhP1D4O4

* This post was last edited 05/11/20 07:17am by Me Again *   View edit history


2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!


DennisVR

NorCal

Full Member

Joined: 12/10/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We dropped our trailer, if I remember right was a diner parking lot just off the exit of Hwy 58 and drove the TV to the loop.

ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

Senior Member

Joined: 03/30/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is also a loop in Northern California, the Williams loop. It is on Hiway 70 about 6 miles east of Quincy. That is some pretty impressive engineering.


Rick and Patti ">
2 Proud CONSERVATIVES ">
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

rdhetrick

Texas

Full Member

Joined: 08/30/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's also a Loves and Flying J in Tehachapi that you could drop the trailer for a few hours. The Tehachapi loop isn't far from there.


Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Janss

Sedona, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/29/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look up "Tehachapi Loop Overlook" on Google maps satellite view. Basically a wide spot in the road. That's where you would have to turn around...which you may or may not be able to. I wouldn't take the chance.

We went there in our car. We also had it on our bucket list. Had driven by Tehachapi many many times. One time during an RV trip, we finally stopped for an overnight. We looked at the railroad loop, and also did a neat self-driving tour of the wind farm. You can find the tour online if you Google it. Gets you up close to the wind mills. Also, we ate at Keene Cafe, which I think might be the diner that DennisVR is referring to.

Keep in mind that if you are just stopping for a quick look see, you may not get to see a train coming through...unless, of course, you know the train schedule.

On another note...along 58...we had another bucket list item that we finally visited. That was the Borax Mine. There is a friendly little RV park in Boron. You can't tour the mine, but there is a great visitors center atop a hill with a good view of the mine. Also a fun little museum in town to visit. (Though maybe all closed now with the current situation.)


2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

dedmiston

So Cal

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/11/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss wrote:

On another note...along 58...we had another bucket list item that we finally visited. That was the Borax Mine. There is a friendly little RV park in Boron. You can't tour the mine, but there is a great visitors center atop a hill with a good view of the mine. Also a fun little museum in town to visit. (Though maybe all closed now with the current situation.)


Very nice. I admire your ability to make lemonade out of lemons. It can be kind of bleak out there, but there are some interesting sights along the way.


2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230



Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Janss wrote:

On another note...along 58...we had another bucket list item that we finally visited. That was the Borax Mine. There is a friendly little RV park in Boron. You can't tour the mine, but there is a great visitors center atop a hill with a good view of the mine. Also a fun little museum in town to visit. (Though maybe all closed now with the current situation.)


Very nice. I admire your ability to make lemonade out of lemons. It can be kind of bleak out there, but there are some interesting sights along the way.


Boron, is ten miles beyond BFE.

Janss

Sedona, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/29/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again....I had to look up BFE. Do you mean it's beyond the middle of nowhere? Well, it's right along Hwy 58, which we have driven back and forth many many times over the years, even when it was the old 58.

You may be driving up 14 through Lancaster rather than up 395 to catch 58. If so, you will miss Boron. Too bad (ha ha). It is bleak out there. That's why I just had to find something to do after umpteen trips across 58.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/12/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss wrote:

Me Again....I had to look up BFE. Do you mean it's beyond the middle of nowhere? Well, it's right along Hwy 58, which we have driven back and forth many many times over the years, even when it was the old 58.

You may be driving up 14 through Lancaster rather than up 395 to catch 58. If so, you will miss Boron. Too bad (ha ha). It is bleak out there. That's why I just had to find something to do after umpteen trips across 58.


We get off the 15 and onto the 138, cut across the South side of Palmdale on E Ave S and head up the 14 to the 58. Did the 395 once, bumpy and lots of stop lights. We enjoy the foothills drive from Palmdale to the 15 and vice versa.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/12/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss wrote:

Me Again....I had to look up BFE. Do you mean it's beyond the middle of nowhere? Well, it's right along Hwy 58, which we have driven back and forth many many times over the years, even when it was the old 58.

You may be driving up 14 through Lancaster rather than up 395 to catch 58. If so, you will miss Boron. Too bad (ha ha). It is bleak out there. That's why I just had to find something to do after umpteen trips across 58.


B=Bum F=xxxx E=Egypt

Yes we have been through Boron a few times. Don't blink!

* This post was edited 05/12/20 06:55pm by Me Again *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > Bucket List Item on Ca-58
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.