Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Andersen hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Andersen hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Snomas

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one and its does what it says: quiet, easy to set up. My tongue wt is 525lb and the Trailer is about 6000#. I do think I need a new sleeve and you don't want to grease the ball.

2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, 5.0 L V8, RWD.
2019 Flagstaff micro mini 21DS
Anderson WDH

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one and love it. It is easy to install and use.

I do have a lighter Travel Trailer though.

I towed my TT for years without one at all actually. This Anderson makes it tow better and the truck rides better.

Flapper

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one, and the only real issue was that it is not suitable for big trailers. Mine's 34 ft, with a tongue of 900+. I was easily able to get full weight transfer back to the front of my F-150. But, with that long of a trailer, it is easy to overpower the friction in the cone, so wind/truck suck were bad. Great concept, and I wish it would have worked out for me. For those with small to mid-size, I would recommend.

2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The red urathane bumper is the spring, so it does have a spring, a red urathane spring.

For those that have one... How much angle difference between the truck and trailer can be had? The red bumper is short, so the spring travel will be small, and when it bottoms out that is it. With bar springs they will keep bending or the trailer frame will bend, but mostly the spring bar will bend as needed.

Or what happens if you go too far? Will the bolt-on mount just twist forward and no harm other than having to re-set it?

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really can’t say how much of an angle it will take. The urethane bushings is compressed about 1/4” on my setup. Again, I have no idea how much it can be squeezed.
I do know that it has never moved the brackets, deformed anything or stopped us from going anywhere.
However, we don’t go trooping through the outback, crossing gullies, fording rivers, etc. We have been on some pretty rough and twisty roads out west that limited us to 10 mph or less.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GT928

North Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced our old WDH with an Anderson a couple years ago. Night and day difference in all respects. Quiet, smooth and no jerking. Easier to hook up. There is no way I would go back. We are pulling a 29.5' Earthbound with a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

The red urathane bumper is the spring, so it does have a spring, a red urathane spring.

For those that have one... How much angle difference between the truck and trailer can be had? The red bumper is short, so the spring travel will be small, and when it bottoms out that is it. With bar springs they will keep bending or the trailer frame will bend, but mostly the spring bar will bend as needed.

Or what happens if you go too far? Will the bolt-on mount just twist forward and no harm other than having to re-set it?

Never had an issue with that over the many places we've gone with the hitch. I would add though, that unlike springs which have a more consistent spring constant, the urethane "springs" resist compression more as they are compressed. So while they may compress easily at the beginning, they become more difficult to compress as the force is increased. I think this is what helps prevent the urethane from "bottoming out".

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djsamuel wrote:

Never had an issue with that over the many places we've gone with the hitch. I would add though, that unlike springs which have a more consistent spring constant, the urethane "springs" resist compression more as they are compressed. So while they may compress easily at the beginning, they become more difficult to compress as the force is increased. I think this is what helps prevent the urethane from "bottoming out".

That is what is called a progressive spring rate. The bars have a more linear spring rate, and a linear spring rate is better in this situation.

I also tend to end up at rough places, dirt roads that get worse near the camping spot, so I have to take the bars off before I get there. The bars are easy as I just use a lever to unload the spring, but the Anderson requires jacking up the tongue?

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

....sipI just use a lever to unload the spring, but the Anderson requires jacking up the tongue?

Not getting very much weight distribution if the bars are that easy to remove. I am no weakling but lifting the tongue helps me.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

rhat is what is called a progressive spring rate. The bars have a more linear spring rate, and a linear spring rate is better in this situation.

Do you have some actual engineering to back that up or just a guess because it it not what you have? What is wrong with a little resistance when that is all that is needed and more as the load increases? That may well be one of the reasons that many actual Andersen users comment on the improved ride and less porpoising.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Andersen hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.