Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing capacity - surprisingly little on new coaches
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > Towing capacity - surprisingly little on new coaches

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As some of you may have read we are shopping for a new coach to full/part time in next year. In shopping I came across some surprising info on capacity.

I know a lot of gassers with the 5k or 7k hitch actually have very little capacity when doing the math. What was a surprise to me is that some DP's also suffer from this. As an example, the Forza line, the difference between the weight and GCWR on some models is only 3k. Makes the 10k hitch almost useless. Our CRV is about 3500 lbs, never mind we also like to eat, have water and clothes.

I know the actual weight needs to be done in order to arrive at real world conditions, but off the shelf advertised weights of some of these coaches simply won't work. Do they rely on people not knowing or caring? Or am I calculating something wrong?

Anyway, found it very surprising for a DP. Makes shopping and finding models you like a real let down.

rk911

DuPage County

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your math and comment about actual weighing needing to be done are spot on. from earlier comments on this and other forums my personal belief is that many don't care or don't want to know.


Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
_________________________________
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
'46 Willys CJ2A
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

Senior Member

Joined: 03/31/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really. Plenty of race tracks in your area. Go look at what they are pulling. If the hitch is substantial enough and the motor has enough horsepower they do it. Some use a “Trailer Toad” to carry the tongue weight. Many DPs can be had with 4-500hp. A Freightliner chassis will handle it.

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It saves money Well built trailers like North wood usually have larger towing capacity.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Really. Plenty of race tracks in your area. Go look at what they are pulling. If the hitch is substantial enough and the motor has enough horsepower they do it. Some use a “Trailer Toad” to carry the tongue weight. Many DPs can be had with 4-500hp. A Freightliner chassis will handle it.


I realize there are plenty of MH's out there that don't suffer from lack of capacity. I was merely stating that a lot of new MH's do. And I was naive enough to think that even entry level Dp's were immune to this by virtue of being a DP. Seems like I was wrong.

I like to do things the proper way, which means weighing loaded for travel, doing the math and ensuring I am within capacity. IMHO it's pretty irresponsible for manufacturers to make the tolerances in capacity so tight that the 10k hitch they like to tout as a selling point, is worthless and frankly misleading. By the time you load people, water, food, clothes etc, there's nothing left. But unless buyers do their homework they are left with the understanding that it has a 10k hitch so I can tow 10k. And I am confident there isn't a dealer out there that will advise them otherwise without being prodded.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

Senior Member

Joined: 05/27/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Really. Plenty of race tracks in your area. Go look at what they are pulling. If the hitch is substantial enough and the motor has enough horsepower they do it. Some use a “Trailer Toad” to carry the tongue weight. Many DPs can be had with 4-500hp. A Freightliner chassis will handle it.


I realize there are plenty of MH's out there that don't suffer from lack of capacity. I was merely stating that a lot of new MH's do. And I was naive enough to think that even entry level Dp's were immune to this by virtue of being a DP. Seems like I was wrong.

I like to do things the proper way, which means weighing loaded for travel, doing the math and ensuring I am within capacity. IMHO it's pretty irresponsible for manufacturers to make the tolerances in capacity so tight that the 10k hitch they like to tout as a selling point, is worthless and frankly misleading. By the time you load people, water, food, clothes etc, there's nothing left. But unless buyers do their homework they are left with the understanding that it has a 10k hitch so I can tow 10k. And I am confident there isn't a dealer out there that will advise them otherwise without being prodded.


Glad you are doing this the right way. Our 2006 gasser has a 5k hitch, but if you do the math and load the MH to it's carrying capacity there is only 4k left for towing. My point is this is probably not a new thing AFA manufacturers playing with the numbers.

Al

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some Gas MH’s like mine have a 4k lb CCC. While other like my buddy’s 17 Fleetwood Bounder have only 1700lbs.
With mine I can actually tow 6k lbs with how I load for a trip. However I would have to replace the hitch.

I never realized how low some of the DP’s could be. Thanks for the info. Never would’ve thought it would be an issue on a DP.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/05/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/11/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t think the weight limits of the hitch is misleading, but an accurate measure of what the hitch can support. When they make the hitch they have no idea what they hitch will be attached to, or how much the vehicle can handle. What other measure do they have or would you realistically like to see FROM the hitch maker? A jeans maker will say their pants will handle a man with a size 38 waist. It’s not their fault that you can’t fit your size 44 butt in them.

I do think perhaps the manufacturer should post a big yellow sign that says based on the a fully loaded vehicle per stated weights, how much the vehicle as delivered can tow. Especially for those that are weak in math, or have no clue what the numbers already provided mean.

It would also be nice, if not already considered, by the manufacturer of the MH to make sure their designs and contents leave sufficient room for towing (not to mention contents) a average size car. Of course it doesn’t help much when the size and weight of toads has increased with the move to SUV’s. But I don’t give this one much hope. I personally believe that no RV designed actually uses one, or they would not put things where they do.


Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/11/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be interesting to talk to an engineer from the manufacturer. What is the limiting factor in the GCWR? Is it the brakes? If it is and the toad has a braking system is that covered? I know that doesn't change the number but it may be the reality.


2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

rk911

DuPage County

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

It would be interesting to talk to an engineer from the manufacturer. What is the limiting factor in the GCWR? Is it the brakes? If it is and the toad has a braking system is that covered? I know that doesn't change the number but it may be the reality.


yes, it would be interesting. somewhere in the ton of paperwork we received from Winnebago for our current (2016 Suncruiser 38Q) and the MH we traded in for the 38Q (2000 Suncruiser 35U) was a warning that the brakes on the MH chassis were rated for ONLY the GVWR of the MH.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > Towing capacity - surprisingly little on new coaches
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.