Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing capacity - surprisingly little on new coaches
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Towing capacity - surprisingly little on new coaches

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

It would be interesting to talk to an engineer from the manufacturer. What is the limiting factor in the GCWR? Is it the brakes? If it is and the toad has a braking system is that covered? I know that doesn't change the number but it may be the reality.

From what I gather doing some reading, the limiting factor is the Engine/tranny Combo. The 340HP paired with the 2500 trans is what most manufacturers in entry level DP's use. In checking all their specs, the tow capacity ranges 3-4k where the specs are pretty consistent - GVWR is 26K and GCWR is 30K - give or take. Some owners claim that loaded for travel their actual weights are below the stated 26k giving them 5k in tow capacity. I also read the 340/2500 engine/trans combo max tow capacity is 5k. I know little next to nothing about diesel engine and transmissions so I can't validate any of that - it's just what I've been reading - Although it's pretty consistent thought across several forums.

If that is true, why bother putting a 10k hitch on it? Every single DP I looked at with this combo can only tow 3-5k. BTW, I am ok if the number is 4-5k. Anything less than 4k and it's a deal breaker.

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really have to know what you need before you buy. If you want a particular motor home you have to settle for a toad it can pull, or if you want to pull a full size pickup realize you are going to need a DP.

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed C wrote:

You really have to know what you need before you buy. If you want a particular motor home you have to settle for a toad it can pull, or if you want to pull a full size pickup realize you are going to need a DP.

Specifically, you need a big DP, not the entry level DP.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Randolph Scatt, tabby cat
Rudy, ginger cat, missing but not forgotten
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am one of those racers that tow well over 10,000lbs as my 32ft 3 axel enclosed trailer weighs 5000lbs + a 3500lb car, arv, tools, fuel, etc. In 20+ years and 3 different DPs. Coast to coast and border and 1/2 a million miles with never a single problem. Proper hitch, brakes, and attention to driving all makes it happen. But you need to do whatever you are comfortable with and is legal as I have crossed many a scale also with never a question.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I am one of those racers that tow well over 10,000lbs as my 32ft 3 axel enclosed trailer weighs 5000lbs + a 3500lb car, arv, tools, fuel, etc. In 20+ years and 3 different DPs. Coast to coast and border and 1/2 a million miles with never a single problem. Proper hitch, brakes, and attention to driving all makes it happen. But you need to do whatever you are comfortable with and is legal as I have crossed many a scale also with never a question.

But what kind of rig do you have? It could be very well you are within capacity.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago Luxor, Monaco Windsor, and Monaco Dynasty. All Cummins power 325, 350 and 450hp. One with tag axel. Probably all over loaded but all handled and towed and stopped well. Had one tire failure and some kind of air suspension balancing valve one time. Been pretty lucky as far as on road failures. Had to leave it once for a radiator hose failure but that was close to home.

irishtom29

Round about

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

It would be interesting to talk to an engineer from the manufacturer. What is the limiting factor in the GCWR? Is it the brakes? If it is and the toad has a braking system is that covered? I know that doesn't change the number but it may be the reality.

As for the Ford F53 chassis: Ford states that the brakes are rated for the GVWR of the coach, not the GCWR, and recommends auxiliary braking systems when the combined weight of coach and towed vehicle exceeds the GVWR.

I have a Ford based coach with a GVWR of 24,000, a CCWR of 30,000 and a hitch rated at 5000. The coach weighs 22,500 loaded and pulls a car that weighs, rounding up, 5000 pounds. Thus my combined weight is 27,5000, leaving 2500 pounds of unused GCWR.

I wonder if the chassis is up to handling a hitch of higher capacity.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

As some of you may have read we are shopping for a new coach to full/part time in next year. In shopping I came across some surprising info on capacity.

I know a lot of gassers with the 5k or 7k hitch actually have very little capacity when doing the math. What was a surprise to me is that some DP's also suffer from this. As an example, the Forza line, the difference between the weight and GCWR on some models is only 3k. Makes the 10k hitch almost useless. Our CRV is about 3500 lbs, never mind we also like to eat, have water and clothes.

I know the actual weight needs to be done in order to arrive at real world conditions, but off the shelf advertised weights of some of these coaches simply won't work. Do they rely on people not knowing or caring? Or am I calculating something wrong?

Anyway, found it very surprising for a DP. Makes shopping and finding models you like a real let down.

I noticed this, when friends bought a new 17 Pace Arrow, which is good for about 800lbs of towing capacity. Still they pull a jeep toad.
This DP's specs are even less than our old gasser, but only because of the GM tranny and most sure, that the tranny is the weak link with the Pace, as well.
On another note, our present coach is good for 15Klbs tow and 1500lbs hitch weight. Sounds good, along with more than a ton left of CCC, but just so happens that the rear axle is at max. when loaded, so probably not so good if pulling a heavy trailer.
Not a factor with our four down toad, but just saying.....
Oh well and just as long as they continue to install huge TV's and fireplaces, sales will continue to flourish.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Towing capacity - surprisingly little on new coaches
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.