cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Class C for the money

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for the most reliable Class C out there. I have run a search and have digested those results. I am looking especially for those that have had class c's.
30 REPLIES 30

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
LOG wrote:
Tropicaal36 posted
"Gee....after all that, I don't understand why a Class C doesn't cost a lot more than a DP/A....lol
Hey whatever floats one's boat and why they make one for everyone.
I used to have some arguments against a DP, but now that we have one, there's no going back to anything else, for us and not many do."

The Original Poster asked a question about a Class C motorhome in a Class C forum. A poster with a Diesel Pusher asked why the OP did not consider a Class A motorhome.
And someone then wonders about the responses received?

Oh, so that was what it was all about and that might have been my bad, Ummmmmmm!
So, the thread was high jacked then?
Oh well, if just one person learned something, it can't be all bad.
Least ways, it didn't go on to something like windshield wipers or for some other, off the wall subject....lol
Having said that, I'll now bow out!
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

LOG
Explorer
Explorer
Tropicaal36 posted
"Gee....after all that, I don't understand why a Class C doesn't cost a lot more than a DP/A....lol
I used to have some arguments against a DP, but now that we have one, there's no going back to anything else, for us and not many do."

The Original Poster asked a question about a Class C motorhome in a Class C forum. A poster with a Diesel Pusher asked why the OP did not consider a Class A motorhome.
And someone then wonders about the responses received?
LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
js218 wrote:
I love my super c had it built to my specifications has 174,000 miles on it and it's a dream to dive and live in

Super C's are another animal altogether.
The one thing I do love about them, is engine access.
That and for having all that hood out in front of you.
Other than that, my preference is still for a bus.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

js218
Explorer
Explorer
I love my super c had it built to my specifications has 174,000 miles on it and it's a dream to dive and live in
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
LOG wrote:
There are only four reasons for a diesel pusher. Room, washing machine, and dishwasher.
And Prestige.
Room is the only one worth considering.
A Class C can support a toad.
Class C's have Corian surfaces, tile floors, safe, vacuum cleaner, Satellite TV, etc.
They are easier to drive, cost less to operate, easier to service.
All given up is room and prestige.

And ..... :

No Class A has a coach structure consisting of outer walls and roof made up of a single molded fiberglass piece - for a lifetime of no leaks (other than around the same surface openings as are in a diesel pusher Class A) - as is the case in a Coach House Class C.

Class C motorhomes can be retrofitted with genuine full-blown air suspension - if their owner(s) want to pay for it.

Most diesel pusher Class A rigs should in no way be taken to explore and camp in the intimate and/or pristine remote places where a small Class C can be taken.

The only torque that counts is the final torque winding up on the drive axles - and what this takes is a given amount of horsepower converted into the required amount of torque on drive axles via overall drive-train gearing. IAW, a given amount of diesel pusher horsepower is the same as the same given amount of gasser horsepower - other than the diesel pusher crankshaft turns at a lower RPM, so overall drive train gearing must be different than that of a gas engine powered motorhome.

Pristige has it's roots in envy or yearning for something different ... and not everyone has diesel pusher Class A type roots. My envy and/or yearning centers around an over-the-top Earthroamer Class C. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gee....after all that, I don't understand why a Class C doesn't cost a lot more than a DP/A....lol
I used to have some arguments against a DP, but now that we have one, there's no going back to anything else, for us and not many do.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOG wrote:
There are only four reasons for a diesel pusher. Room, washing machine, and dishwasher.
And Prestige.
Class C's have Corian surfaces, tile floors, safe, vacuum cleaner, Satellite TV, etc.

And ..... :

No Class A has a coach structure consisting of outer walls and roof made up of a single molded fiberglass piece - for a lifetime of no leaks (other than around the same surface openings as are in a diesel pusher Class A) - as is the case in a Coach House Class C.

Class C motorhomes can be retrofitted with genuine full-blown air suspension - if their owner(s) want to pay for it.

Most diesel pusher Class A rigs should in no way be taken to explore and camp in the intimate and/or pristine remote places where a small Class C can be taken.

The only torque that counts is the final torque winding up on the drive axles - and what this takes is a given amount of horsepower converted into the required amount of torque on drive axles via overall drive-train gearing. IAW, a given amount of diesel pusher horsepower is the same as the same given amount of gasser horsepower - other than the diesel pusher crankshaft turns at a lower RPM, so overall drive train gearing must be different than that of a gas engine powered motorhome.

Pristige has it's roots in envy or yearning for something different ... and not everyone has diesel pusher Class A type roots. My envy and/or yearning centers around an over-the-top Earthroamer Class C. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
LOG wrote:
And Prestige.

Which begs the question of...why are they prestigious?...
Maybe cuz you forgot to mention the air ride and lack of cockpit noise.
How about for it's amazing low RPM torque.
Our old gasser, once had a washer/dryer, that was removed at some point.
Our DP doesn't have a dish washer and we don't want one.
As for room, I've seen gassers near 40ft, while a new Tiffin Allegro Breeze DP is just 31ft 6".
There's also some gassers with four slideouts, that make for a lot of room, regardless of it's length.

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Our eyes are on a 27ft
Maybe 60 to 71

LOG
Explorer
Explorer
And Prestige.
LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
billy1davis wrote:
I am 72 and we think a class a would be too much to handle. We think also that having a short class c we would not need to pull a toad

I'm older than that and find no problem with overall length.
However, A's do come as short as 25-26ft.
As for having a toad or not, you'll find that the real problem lies with having to break camp, every time, you wish to go somewhere and then for setting back up again, upon your return, which could be after dark, in the rain.

LOG
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, our Chinook Glacier is the best built Class C motorhome. I believe that is why 2005 models are listed for sale in the 50,000 dollar range.
It is probably not the most reliable due to hydraulic levelers, hydraulic slide with pneumatic seal, satellite TV, GPS navigation, 2000 watt inverter.
As far as driving is concerned. We have owned a 27 foot Class A motorhome, a 36 foot diesel pusher, and our 25 foot Class C. IMHO, the Class C is by far the easiest to drive. No comparison.
LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
billy1davis wrote:
I am 72 and we think a class a would be too much to handle. We think also that having a short class c we would not need to pull a toad

That was going to be my next question. How long do you want it and how much do you want to spend? Some folks say that 27 foot is a good compromise all things being considered.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
If there really was only one best Class-C RV brand, it would be the only brand left on the market.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad