cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I Have One Chance

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
Hello team (always know when someone uses that phrase they're going to ask for something!)

Looks like my wife and I will retire at the end of this year. I've had an RV in my previous marriage and loved it. I always dreamed of snowbirding in retirement, someplace warm.

My wife was always dubious, no RV experience. To get her on board, a few years ago I rented a small class c sight unseen from a well known national RV rental place and we flew to Miami, picked it up and drove through the keys for ten days. It was cramped and crappy RV, too hurried with lots of driving, so it didn't go over well! I really screwed that up.

So now,she's coming around to the idea and agreed as a trial run we can rent one in January for a month or so before deciding to buy.

This time I want to do it right. I'm thinking a nicer class A, not huge, and perhaps mostly stationary either in the Tampa area or southwest in some nice RV resorts to see some sights, relax and enjoy.

Any hints and tips as far as where to rent, stay, how to pull this off? Is it too late for reservations? I don't think lazy-days in Tampa rents RVs anymore. I don't want to drive a lot once we're there, or be totally stationary. I'm guessing I couldn't rent in PA that time of year as rigs would be winterized, so have to fly and drive?

Any help appreciated!
24 REPLIES 24

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Buy an RV..... you will enjoy it.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Is it the "snowbirding" or long term living in an RV?

Just wondering, because if it is just about an RV, why do you HAVE to do it in January? Just wait until Spring.

Better yet, what about taking a week or two off this Fall and explore New England a bit during leaf season?

I do not know what a "snowbird" campground is like down south, but there are plenty of very nice "resort" campgrounds in New England you could a rent camper (or a cabin) at this summer to check things out.

There are always options.

Good luck, and have fun exploring what you guys want to do, and how you want to do it!

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
Braces wrote:
In the Orlando area there are several places that rent RVs and will set them up for you and pick them up when you are through. Most of this is done for Disney World but I bet they would be able to suggest some other less crowded, more snowbird type campgrounds in the surrounding areas.

Something like this and the other park-rental idea would be good, but in the southwest or Tampa area in a really nice RV resort.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
In the Orlando area there are several places that rent RVs and will set them up for you and pick them up when you are through. Most of this is done for Disney World but I bet they would be able to suggest some other less crowded, more snowbird type campgrounds in the surrounding areas.

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
www.elmonterv.com

These people are in Orlando and Miami Florida. Check them out for a rental RV.

Food for thought a lot of couples start out in a RV and end up in a park model or mobile home. If you buy a new RV be willing to accept the depreciation if you decide to do something different in a few years. Many couples find a park they like, make friends and end up buying something there. I would look for a good used RV to start out.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rent the RV from a private party. You don't plan to drive thousands of miles, so it'll work for you. If you need a car, try Turo, the private party alternative to renting vehicles. Half the price of a rental car company.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your wife's idea of RVing you may need to carefully pick your initial stay. In my case I would avoid the typical cramped RV park setups and attempt to find a roomier option. But that is just me.

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
Hi neighbor! The wife and I have been traveling the country for years in our motorhome and wouldn't (won't) travel any other way. I have modified our motorhome to suit our needs and we are very comfortable in it for months at a time.

I you're looking for a resort with a variety of park models to try out, Lake-in-Wood around Lancaster would be my choice. It is pretty much a self-contained rv park with all the amenities you need, including a restaurant.

Good Luck with your quest and Happy Retirement!

Thanks Nazareth neighbor! Good tip.

One thing I have in my favor now is that she's an RN, and formerly was an airlines and hotels person. No more! So if there's anything positive coming out of this, this is one small thing.

Where in the area do you find is good for RV storage/parking?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diver4242 wrote:
Thanks for the replies! We have gone the Hershey show, it's great. She does get interested there. Sorry for the 'snowboarding' typo, I fixed it (dang autocorrect!).

I like the AZ park model idea, or local rental. Can anyone recommend some nice RV resorts around that area that might have park models? Is it warm enough in January? I'll do some research of course, just looking for good opinions based on your wealth of experiences.

Cal-Am Resorts has numerous resorts in the Phoenix area. Canyon Vistas, in Gold Canyon being one of the best, as in newer and larger lot sizes. There are also rentals in the new part called Superstition Views. December and January are the two coldest months. January, Feb and March are the most popular months. We first came to Canyon Vistas the winter for 2008-09 with a 29' 5th wheel, then a 39' one and now just finished our third year in a custom park model with Arizona room we had built. As we say, if a person is bored here it is their own fault. For your inter child we have a paved oval RC race track and many of us race every afternoon. And I fly RC Airplanes. Walking and biking are very popular. Dances just about every week end, happy hour 2 or 3 times a week with a band at the outdoor patio/dance floor. Concerts and other activities in the ball room.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/143720462367968/

http://www.cal-am.com/resorts/canyon-vistas/

Oh, and one other thing, Canyon Vistas has desert on two sides and you are not camped in a metro area like the resorts in Mesa and Apache Junction, yet everything in close by just up highway 60 a few miles. We have local grocery, drug store, restaurants etc.

If you like plays, we are a group go the the Hale Theater in Gilbert about once a month. Theater in the round and seat like 300, not a bad seat in the house.

Bit the bullet and get a 3 month rental, as they are easier to find than a one month rental.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Hi neighbor! The wife and I have been traveling the country for years in our motorhome and wouldn't (won't) travel any other way. I have modified our motorhome to suit our needs and we are very comfortable in it for months at a time.

I you're looking for a resort with a variety of park models to try out, Lake-in-Wood around Lancaster would be my choice. It is pretty much a self-contained rv park with all the amenities you need, including a restaurant.

Good Luck with your quest and Happy Retirement!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife was very skeptical about going full-time... until we attended an RV-Dreams educational rally. When we got home from the rally, she's the one that sold the house out from under us. There's a lot more to understanding the RV lifestyle - especially full-timing or snow-birding - than just spending some time in an RV.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
happynow wrote:
Good advice above.
Also,suggest you take her to an RV show...when they start up again.
Shows have a variety of rigs, should help her realize the possibilities.

We've been, several times. It's more the "lifestyle" she's unsure about, what it's like to live in one for a few weeks or months. She does like a nice bath ๐Ÿ™‚

I know her. I think once she's on the open road in a nice coach, seeing how different it is from the small garbage can I stupidly rented before, she'll come around. As well in a nice resort with activities and amenities!

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice above.
Also,suggest you take her to an RV show...when they start up again.
Shows have a variety of rigs, should help her realize the possibilities.
happynow

Steve and Carol

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! We have gone the Hershey show, it's great. She does get interested there. Sorry for the 'snowboarding' typo, I fixed it (dang autocorrect!).

I like the AZ park model idea, or local rental. Can anyone recommend some nice RV resorts around that area that might have park models? Is it warm enough in January? I'll do some research of course, just looking for good opinions based on your wealth of experiences.