Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: I Have One Chance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> I Have One Chance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diver4242 wrote:

I always dreamed of snowboarding in retirement, someplace warm.

Keep dreaming, it's pretty hard to snowboard where it is warm, since snowboarding requires SNOW.

Oh, wait, were you talking about snowbirding? [emoticon]

I agree with ItsyRV, make the trial run trip revolve around her likes. For folks that have never RVed before, it is a big change. Keep her interested. She's willing to try it again after a bad first run, so that's a good sign. Make her happy she chose to try it again.

I also agree with Me Again, renting a Park Model will be less of a shock, sorta like renting a nice cabin somewhere. It's not as big a jump from a Park Model to a TT or Motorhome as it is from a house to a RV. If she likes the Park Model, offer her the option to rent a Park Model for a few seasons with the ultimate goal being going to your own RV.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Diver4242

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies! We have gone the Hershey show, it's great. She does get interested there. Sorry for the 'snowboarding' typo, I fixed it (dang autocorrect!).

I like the AZ park model idea, or local rental. Can anyone recommend some nice RV resorts around that area that might have park models? Is it warm enough in January? I'll do some research of course, just looking for good opinions based on your wealth of experiences.

happynow

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice above.
Also,suggest you take her to an RV show...when they start up again.
Shows have a variety of rigs, should help her realize the possibilities.

happynow

Steve and Carol

Diver4242

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

happynow wrote:

Good advice above.
Also,suggest you take her to an RV show...when they start up again.
Shows have a variety of rigs, should help her realize the possibilities.

We've been, several times. It's more the "lifestyle" she's unsure about, what it's like to live in one for a few weeks or months. She does like a nice bath :-)

I know her. I think once she's on the open road in a nice coach, seeing how different it is from the small garbage can I stupidly rented before, she'll come around. As well in a nice resort with activities and amenities!

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife was very skeptical about going full-time... until we attended an RV-Dreams educational rally. When we got home from the rally, she's the one that sold the house out from under us. There's a lot more to understanding the RV lifestyle - especially full-timing or snow-birding - than just spending some time in an RV.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi neighbor! The wife and I have been traveling the country for years in our motorhome and wouldn't (won't) travel any other way. I have modified our motorhome to suit our needs and we are very comfortable in it for months at a time.

I you're looking for a resort with a variety of park models to try out, Lake-in-Wood around Lancaster would be my choice. It is pretty much a self-contained rv park with all the amenities you need, including a restaurant.

Good Luck with your quest and Happy Retirement!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diver4242 wrote:

Thanks for the replies! We have gone the Hershey show, it's great. She does get interested there. Sorry for the 'snowboarding' typo, I fixed it (dang autocorrect!).

I like the AZ park model idea, or local rental. Can anyone recommend some nice RV resorts around that area that might have park models? Is it warm enough in January? I'll do some research of course, just looking for good opinions based on your wealth of experiences.

Cal-Am Resorts has numerous resorts in the Phoenix area. Canyon Vistas, in Gold Canyon being one of the best, as in newer and larger lot sizes. There are also rentals in the new part called Superstition Views. December and January are the two coldest months. January, Feb and March are the most popular months. We first came to Canyon Vistas the winter for 2008-09 with a 29' 5th wheel, then a 39' one and now just finished our third year in a custom park model with Arizona room we had built. As we say, if a person is bored here it is their own fault. For your inter child we have a paved oval RC race track and many of us race every afternoon. And I fly RC Airplanes. Walking and biking are very popular. Dances just about every week end, happy hour 2 or 3 times a week with a band at the outdoor patio/dance floor. Concerts and other activities in the ball room.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/143720462367968/

http://www.cal-am.com/resorts/canyon-vistas/

Oh, and one other thing, Canyon Vistas has desert on two sides and you are not camped in a metro area like the resorts in Mesa and Apache Junction, yet everything in close by just up highway 60 a few miles. We have local grocery, drug store, restaurants etc.

If you like plays, we are a group go the the Hale Theater in Gilbert about once a month. Theater in the round and seat like 300, not a bad seat in the house.

Bit the bullet and get a 3 month rental, as they are easier to find than a one month rental.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Diver4242

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zigzagrv wrote:

Hi neighbor! The wife and I have been traveling the country for years in our motorhome and wouldn't (won't) travel any other way. I have modified our motorhome to suit our needs and we are very comfortable in it for months at a time.

I you're looking for a resort with a variety of park models to try out, Lake-in-Wood around Lancaster would be my choice. It is pretty much a self-contained rv park with all the amenities you need, including a restaurant.

Good Luck with your quest and Happy Retirement!

Thanks Nazareth neighbor! Good tip.

One thing I have in my favor now is that she's an RN, and formerly was an airlines and hotels person. No more! So if there's anything positive coming out of this, this is one small thing.

Where in the area do you find is good for RV storage/parking?

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on your wife's idea of RVing you may need to carefully pick your initial stay. In my case I would avoid the typical cramped RV park setups and attempt to find a roomier option. But that is just me.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rent the RV from a private party. You don't plan to drive thousands of miles, so it'll work for you. If you need a car, try Turo, the private party alternative to renting vehicles. Half the price of a rental car company.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> I Have One Chance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.