cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear View Camera vs Backup Camera

sailmike1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just like some clarification on this topic. Every time I do a search for a rear view camera, I get a list of backup camera's. I'm looking for a camera and monitor that's on all the time, not just for backing up my vehicle. I can't find any information to clarify this.

Are all backup camera's only for backing up?
How do I find one to replace the rear view mirror to use for normal driving?

Thanks,
Puzzled
21 REPLIES 21

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
sailmike1 wrote:
I'd just like some clarification on this topic. Every time I do a search for a rear view camera, I get a list of backup camera's. I'm looking for a camera and monitor that's on all the time, not just for backing up my vehicle. I can't find any information to clarify this.

Thanks,
Puzzled

I mounted a separate camera with wide angle lens at very back end of roof that I can switch on and off at will connected to battery. I use a 7 inch monitor mounted on dash of vehicle that delivers a 1080p image to monitor. I am able to see everything behind me as well as on both sides. The only difficult part was stringing the wire down and under the chassis of the motorhome to the engine compartment battery. I previously did this on a 5th wheel and used a disconnect switch in-line when unhooking the 5th wheel. There are numerous cameras around and any back up camera will do this if wired to the battery instead of tail lights. There are wireless camera available but I don't think always dependable because of wireless interference. Its better to wire the camera so there is no problem with always seeing what's on the road behind you. My RV has a factory back up camera installed but I too want to see the road and the traffic on the sides. This set up is worth its weight in gold when you're on the interstate such as I-80, I-90 or any other and and especially when coming in and out of toll booths with so much traffic. New cameras are available that have high resolution such that you can read license plates of vehicles behind you very well.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
All I can do is tell you about mine
By default it is a "Back up camera"
but there is a button (4 or 5 of them)
The top button is POWER and if I press it. it's a rear view camera
The next button is A/B and if I press it.. Well the side view camera is not currently working (It's under the gas cap to help me line up on a pump. got to fix it one of these days)

I am thinking about the RV-360 system

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/hd-360-camera-system-with-built-in-dvr-rvs-77555.html

But have yet to make the purchase
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
sailmike1 wrote:
4x4van wrote:
No switch is needed; simply power it off of a wire that is hot with the ignition rather than from the backup lights.

Mine comes on in reverse, but has a manual switch on the monitor that turns it on constantly. That's how I use it.

How would I connect it to that wire?

Thanks!
Depends on the unit. If the unit you purchase has only one wire for powering the camera/monitor, you use a wire that is hot when the ignition is turned on instead of the backup light wire.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Like Tropical36, my rear camera monitor is wired to come on in reverse unless I turn it on manually where it stays on. Once I turn it on, it remembers that setting the next time I start the engine until I turn it off. I installed two rear cameras that I can select at the monitor, one aimed low that lets me see from the motorhome rear bumper back about 20 feet, and the other aimed high enough to see back down the road. The low camera is handy for backing into tight sites as well as checking on my toad hookup while under way.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
rwgeiser wrote:
When I installed my camera for my backup monitor I actuated it with power from the backup light circuit with a .5 amp resistor in line. I also ran a 12v feed down stream from the resistor, with a switch that I can power the camera at any time. It does not backfeed the backup light circuit. I have a GPS that I also use as the monitor.

I believe you mean a diode, not a resistor.

rwgeiser
Explorer
Explorer
When I installed my camera for my backup monitor I actuated it with power from the backup light circuit with a .5 amp resistor in line. I also ran a 12v feed down stream from the resistor, with a switch that I can power the camera at any time. It does not backfeed the backup light circuit. I have a GPS that I also use as the monitor.
Ron & Del
2003 Fleetwood, Storm 30H
P32 Chassis
Part-Timer, Retired

sailmike1
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
No switch is needed; simply power it off of a wire that is hot with the ignition rather than from the backup lights.

Mine comes on in reverse, but has a manual switch on the monitor that turns it on constantly. That's how I use it.

How would I connect it to that wire?

Thanks!

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a switch. I mounted the switch on the base of the driver’s seat so I can conveniently reach it to power the camera and monitor. My first camera was designed for a license plate mount but I soon put it on the inside of our class C looking through the top of the rear window, adjusted so I can just see the hitch on the kayak trailer and most of a campsite when backing in. I can safely back up to well within a foot of the trailer or a tree. With the camera angled about 45 degrees down the horizontal distance is easy to judge. I can keep good watch on the kayaks on the highway.

On our first trip with the camera we actually used it when camped in a remote campsite On the Grande Cache highway in Alberta. A few inches of snow on the ground making it easy to see a fox visiting our site without scaring it away.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Not all backup cameras are to be used as observation cameras. Some are not designed to be left on for extended times or the camera with burn out.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
sailmike1 wrote:

Thanks,
Puzzled

They're all one in the same, as far as I know.
Mine comes on when in reverse, but if you manually turn it on, which I always do, then it's on all the time.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second the idea of powering it from the clearance lights. A wire is already in the area, you don't need to mount an additional switch, the camera isn't on all the time, and it is easy enough to turn on when you want it by merely turning on the parking lights. My Airstream come with a rear view camera powered exactly that way.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get one that can be used as an observation system. Makes driving much easier when you can see behind you. Lane changes are easier and safer.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have my camera power connected to the power for my (rear) bathroom fan. Installed a switch with a indicator led. S4 I can tell if I left it on to long.