Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you use glass plates ?

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello all,

After many many years (decades) of using old camping pates and silverware, we are updating our pots and pans and dishes. I am curious how many people use "home style" ceramic dishes, mugs, etc. We currently use old plastic plates but we have a complete dish set in our home doing nothing at all. My only concern is them breaking during travel. Any thoughts?
40 REPLIES 40

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both glass and plastic No problems with glass, Except when I drop it
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tadpoleclean
Explorer
Explorer
This option looks like it could be interesting and not require installation... available only for pre-orders for now, though. Has anybody used something like this?

https://www.mini-dishwasher.com/maddy

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
harryjr wrote:
For all the folks using Corelle, be SURE they are stored low and secured when moving. We had an upper cabinet door open and broke 6 Corelle pieces. They don't break easily, but when they do, they SHATTER. We swept, vacuumed, damp mopped, and were still picked up Corelle slivers for months.

I had NEVER stored plates and bowls in a drawer until this RV. Really a great place!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
For all the folks using Corelle, be SURE they are stored low and secured when moving. We had an upper cabinet door open and broke 6 Corelle pieces. They don't break easily, but when they do, they SHATTER. We swept, vacuumed, damp mopped, and were still picked up Corelle slivers for months.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Second post. When we had our fifth wheel, we had the pull out pantry spill everything more than once. We devised a small bungee cord affair for plates and such. Still use it in the MH, but short of hitting a wall or rolling over, perhaps, the things in the cabinets stay put and don't rattle.
We use mostly the paper plates, but..if there is a next Motor home it will have a dishwasher and the Chinette will see a lot less use.

The Alumiscape Fifth Wheel we use to have, we couldn't keep the pantry door shut or anything in it going down the road...until we started using a bunch of small bungee cords etc and that was with air ride hitch and shocks. The Mh, I don't think we have had any spills. The plates and saucers are in a rack wife devised with bungees and that rubber stuff doilies or whatever between them and a small bungee at an angle on the rack. i think it just gets in the way more than helps but no rattles.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I can't find a Corelle pattern I like

Dale

I'm boring - mine is plain white. I jazz up the table with bright placemats or runners, depending on the season or holiday
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
We have used Corelle ware for the last 15 years. Haven't broken a plateor bowl yet.

I started using it at our cottage due to it being lightweight and taking up very little space in the cabinets - that was 25 years ago. Still using it, and haven't had a broken piece, either.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Yup Corelle for us, some messy meals that involve a lot of clean up we will just go with the paper plates.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Correll by Corning Ware If I spelled it right
Not all that easy to break. Very easy to clean

Though mostly I use plastic for the dinner plate (Correll for Dessert Plates)

Also microwave safe.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We do 5 to 6 months a year on paper plates, 2 to6 weeks with a dishwasher on ceramic plates and the rest of the year on ceramic plates at home no dish washer.
thart's the way it is an we are used to it with no problems.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I don't use glass plates in the camper. For a couple of reasons, They are to expensive and they break to easily. I want something that if it gets lost or broken I don't care. I got my camper plates at a rubbish sale,,,er,, I mean, Rummage Sale. They are plenty good enough for camping.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
Ceramic plates .....large and small......regular household silverware...stainless steel pots and pans....everything just like we used in the house. Have never broken anything yet after 15 years.

You just said never! Get ready to bust up the whole shebang.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Ceramic plates .....large and small......regular household silverware...stainless steel pots and pans....everything just like we used in the house. Have never broken anything yet after 15 years.
cpaulsen

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mockturtle wrote:
Have always used Corelle. However, it will break if it falls onto a Corian surface.

Any hard surface.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD