Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Poor quality/returning trailers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Poor quality/returning trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Unfortunately you signed on the dotted line and bought the trailer.

Best thing you can do is contact Aliner DIRECTLY and get a Company Representative involved.
They may have you return trailer to factory for REPAIRS but slim chance on 'returning' it.

Going thru Dealer will not get your issues resolved....Factory Rep DIRECTLY
Document issues with e-mails, photos, repair invoices etc.

Old Biscuit is correct; you have no options other than dealing with the manufacturer. I doubt you'll be able to return it. They need to repair everything you mentioned. Unfortunately most RV's are built cheaply and need fixing in order to get it where it needs to be. You will need to learn how to repair most things to keep it where you want it. I'll add that manufacturers put the cheapest tires they can get away with so you should upgrade those ASAP. Go up a load range and get quality tires so a blowout doesn't tear up your sidewalls. Good luck.

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Document everything, print the list of repairs needed.

Take extensive pictures.

Take it back to the Dealer you bought it from. You sound like you do not want to tow it to return it out of state but you need to do that regardless. Suck it up and take it back there.

Hand them the list of repairs.

Be polite. Being rude or aggressive will not help.

You must take it back to the dealer and allow them to attempt to make the repairs first.

When you drop it off, get a signed Work Order of what you want done and keep it for your files.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Write them up with these list of problems and state your intentions to return it with a refund.

It will serve you well putting all these things in writing and keeping all their responses on record. If I'm the judge, I'll find reasonable grounds for your complaints.

I'm not exactly sure you'll have redress in court or Better Business Bureaus but these manufacturers, dealers, service providers, insurers, etc. can be reasonable pronto when read with the riot act of you escalating it to the boss or the courts. I don't abuse it nor do it at whim but worked for me a few times.

Again, for the sake of your health and sanity, you want that lemon off your hands.

* This post was last edited 05/13/20 03:48pm by Yosemite Sam1 *   View edit history

Bump2012

Holley, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes the plan is to take it for repair however, they need to send it out for the fiberglass work which they said would take at least a month and then fix all the other issues as well, which we continue to find more of every day. I have things booked for this summer and the earliest the dealer could even look at the trailer would be June 11th. At this point I'm just really frustrated and know when I get it back I'll find more issues. I'm slowly accepting the fact that I got ripped off and I probably won't be able to use the trailer this summer at all, so it goes, sucks to be me.

I've started to work on the repairs myself just to make the trailer usable which again, is just really frustrating to have to put so much of my own time into something that costs so much.

The final large issue I have is the wet bath leaking, I've fixed the wiring issues and other plumbing issues. Investigating more tonight it seems the water is going under the toilet and into the hole through the shower floor where they ran the water lines for the toilet.

So, my question now. Does anyone else have a dometic cassette toilet in a wet bath? Should the toilet have calk around the base to prevent water from going under it? The toilet is installed on the shower floor so it shouldn't matter other than that the hole they drilled for water lines to the toilet go through the floor and that hole is under the toilet. So either they should have sealed that hole up, or calk around the base of the toilet. The shower floor is above a second floor so basically the water has been leaking onto that second floor and going just about everywhere. I'm thinking I may try to seal around the base of the toilet tomorrow unless anyone has a better suggestion. Maybe I can make the thing usable for the summer then take it to a dealer during winter for work as there will probably be all sorts of water damage.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an Aliner for 9 years. I can tell you for a fact that Columbia Northwest values their reputation and wants you to be satisfied.

It's a good thing you won't be going back to your selling dealer, they screwed you. Some of the things you listed would have been easily caught if the dealer actually did the PDI they are supposed to do.

Forget any court action or asking for your money back. It isn't going to happen, not yet at least. You are required by law to give the manufacturer adequate opportunity to make repairs.

Call the factory and ask for help. Do not email, they are old school and are very slow responding to email, they prefer using the phone. Be nice, ask where you can take it to be fixed. 724-237-5227

Also, join the Aliner Owners Club, they can assist you in getting things fixed and are a great bunch of people. https://alinerownersclub.org/

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

I had an Aliner for 9 years. I can tell you for a fact that Columbia Northwest values their reputation and wants you to be satisfied.

It's a good thing you won't be going back to your selling dealer, they screwed you. Some of the things you listed would have been easily caught if the dealer actually did the PDI they are supposed to do.

Forget any court action or asking for your money back. It isn't going to happen, not yet at least. You are required by law to give the manufacturer adequate opportunity to make repairs.

Call the factory and ask for help. Do not email, they are old school and are very slow responding to email, they prefer using the phone. Be nice, ask where you can take it to be fixed. 724-237-5227

Also, join the Aliner Owners Club, they can assist you in getting things fixed and are a great bunch of people. https://alinerownersclub.org/
Very good advice and remember when talking with them the old saying you can collect more flies with honey then you can with vinegar.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, not much you can do except push thru getting the warranty work done.

But it's good that you brought this as a cautionary tale for others:
- Do a full inspection at purchase. If you aren't familiar, pay an independent tech to go thru it with you. Run everything. They will get grumpy but if you haven't taken possession, they won't want to kill the deal.
- Buying new in no way implies a perfect unit. This isn't an F150 where they sell 800k per year with computer controlled assembly. Expect just as much if not more issues than with a quality used rig.
- Expect warranty work to be low priority. The manufacturer has low rates and limited hours for warranty work. Private work has higher rates and it takes as many hours as it takes.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Write them up with these list of problems and state your intentions to return it with a refund.

It will serve you well putting all these things in writing and keeping all their responses on record. If I'm the judge, I'll find reasonable grounds for your complaints.

I'm not exactly sure you'll have redress in court or Better Business Bureaus but these manufacturers, dealers, service providers, insurers, etc. can be reasonable pronto when read with the riot act of you escalating it to the boss or the courts. I don't abuse it nor do it at whim but worked for me a few times.

Again, for the sake of your health and sanity, you want that lemon off your hands.

In many businesses as soon as a customer says "lawyer" they will stop communicating with you. They just let their attorney handle the issue. Why not start out nice but firm and get someone from the manufacturer on your side? They should and probably would work with you without threats up front.

Bump2012

Holley, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had been in communication with the manufacturer and they were trying to find a place to get the fiberglass fixed prior to all the other issues popping up. Once COVID hit they were forced to shut down and have not reopened. The dealers around me I've talked to are not very willing to perform warranty work and it seem no matter where I take it there won't be any way to use it this summer. I did talk to the manufacturer about just bringing it back to them but they said they don't have a service shop and can't do the work there (they are in PA and I'm in NY so I had really hoped that was an option), have to go through a dealer. So at this point it is what it is, I bought something that was not as it seemed and that's on me, I'll just have to try to work with a dealer to do the warranty work.

I had no idea buying a brand new trailer there could be this many issues. Also, I had no idea RV dealers operated so much differently than car dealerships. Live and learn I suppose.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At this point I would either take unit back to selling dealer for warranty repairs or be willing to pay a local dealer to fix it and seek reimbursement from manufacture.
Yes the RV industry is unscrupulous and to some degree corrupt.
Now that you have learned the RV industry is not what you expected you are going to have to step up and make it happen on your own or sell it and forget about it.
Again be willing to pay or DIY the fixes.Let the fiberglass go for now and have it fixed in the off season.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Poor quality/returning trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.