Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Poor quality/returning trailers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Poor quality/returning trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bump2012 wrote:

I had been in communication with the manufacturer and they were trying to find a place to get the fiberglass fixed prior to all the other issues popping up. Once COVID hit they were forced to shut down and have not reopened. The dealers around me I've talked to are not very willing to perform warranty work and it seem no matter where I take it there won't be any way to use it this summer. I did talk to the manufacturer about just bringing it back to them but they said they don't have a service shop and can't do the work there (they are in PA and I'm in NY so I had really hoped that was an option), have to go through a dealer. So at this point it is what it is, I bought something that was not as it seemed and that's on me, I'll just have to try to work with a dealer to do the warranty work.

I had no idea buying a brand new trailer there could be this many issues. Also, I had no idea RV dealers operated so much differently than car dealerships. Live and learn I suppose.

Most of us here have learned the same way you are; by having to deal with poor quality RV and dealers. Wish you would've asked us before you bought; but that's water under the bridge.

Here is what you can expect:
1. You will probably get a dealer to agree to do the warranty work. They will make an appointment about two weeks away. You will bring in the trailer and they will have it about two weeks.
2. The service guy will call you so you can come pick up your trailer. You will get there and they will tell you when you can bring it back for the work. You will be upset that nothing got done and they will tell you that it was in only to see what needed to be done and what parts would be needed.
3. You will call about 3 weeks later and find that they are waiting for the warranty work to be approved by the manufacturer.
4. You will call 2 weeks later and find that the work was OK'd but now they are waiting for the parts.
5. You will call again and find that everything was OK'd back about a month ago but no one knows anything. So you will schedule the bring in the trailer in 3 weeks.
6. You bring in the trailer and told it is "in line to be worked on" which means another 2 weeks.
7. 3 weeks later you call and find that it hasn't been touched. So you talk to the service manager who assures you it will be soon.
8. 1 week later you call again and told that some work was done but the fiberglass guy is sick and will be scheduled later. You decide to pick up the camper because you want to use it before your warranty is expired.
9. You pick up the camper and find that the work that was done is still not done right.
10. You also find additional items that either the service tech broke or new items that need repair. And you find that the tech used your toilet.
11. The service manager also tells you that the roof needs maintenance and re-caulking. It's only $200 and really needs it bad so you agree. You later find that you could have done it yourself for $12!
12. You finally bring it back for the fiberglass guy and new repairs needed and the whole process of waiting and waiting continues.

So, my suggestion is ask the manufacturer if you can find a reputable mobil RV tech to do all the repairs and they can pay him direct or reimburse you.

The above scenario is from many RV'rs experience, including mine. That's why I learned to do the majority of the work myself.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And #13, you will be told at least 13 times that you didn't buy it here and we need to take care of our customers first.

Bump2012

Holley, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

And #13, you will be told at least 13 times that you didn't buy it here and we need to take care of our customers first.

I can't even find a dealer that is willing to look at it to begin with...same thing every time, we have too much work and the manufacturer doesn't pay enough for warranty work.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the world of RVing

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bummer of a deal, but it sounds like 2 major issues and some stuff that is just annoying.
It’s hard to figure out what needs done for the major issues without seeing in person, but here’s how I’d handle it.
First , make your first priority to get operational so you can go camping. Change your mindset even though it’s frustrating that you feel ripped off.
Second, get a clear line of communication w the mfg and then inform them of the repairs you made on your own dime.
Third, try to get them to pick up the tab for the self repairs or worst case fix the remaining stuff this fall.

Good luck man. If you can stop the leaks, you will be able to be happy camping this summer. And chalk it up to being more proactive next time and less trustworthy , regardless of the situation.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

That one is actually completely legitimate. You cut them out of the profit on the sale and then expect them to do what is at cost work on warranties...very low odds of you buying from them if you just bought a new rig, so no loss if they tick you off.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Bump2012

Holley, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

That one is actually completely legitimate. You cut them out of the profit on the sale and then expect them to do what is at cost work on warranties...very low odds of you buying from them if you just bought a new rig, so no loss if they tick you off.

It was their choice as a dealer to represent and carry out the work of that manufacturer. If the manufacturers aren't paying fairly for warranty work that's between them and maybe they shouldn't represent that manufacturer but I think it's crazy to say the consumer should suffer just because they didn't buy the RV there. It's illegal to charge additional money on the side for repair work just because you're mad they didn't buy it from you and you don't think the manufacture pays fairly. I've never had an issue buying anything else and then returning/servicing at a different location, why should RVs be any different?

I have found a dealer willing to do a full PDI, which obviously the selling dealer never did, and fix all the issues. They have worked on this trailer before and know there are design flaws and manufacturing flaws which Aliner is aware of but hasn't done anything to make sure it doesn't affect more consumers. Aliner really put out a poor product in this case which is too bad because my parents had an A Frame style Aliner and loved it, I think the Ascape series was never thought out. It feels very much like a home built trailer that a guy down the street built on the weekend with no knowledge of RVs, then never tested anything and sold it to someone else to deal with.

I agree, I put way too much faith in the manufacturer and dealer to both build a good product and give support if they failed at that. I will for sure be more careful if I ever buy again and do all in my power to make sure others are aware of the issues with Aliner and hopefully save someone else some headaches down the road.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bump2012 wrote:

It was their choice as a dealer to represent and carry out the work of that manufacturer. If the manufacturers aren't paying fairly for warranty work that's between them and maybe they shouldn't represent that manufacturer but I think it's crazy to say the consumer should suffer just because they didn't buy the RV there. It's illegal to charge additional money on the side for repair work just because you're mad they didn't buy it from you and you don't think the manufacture pays fairly. I've never had an issue buying anything else and then returning/servicing at a different location, why should RVs be any different?

That manufacturer affiliation is premised on the profits from selling that manufacturer's units. They accept the lower warranty work prices to get the profit from the sales. If you choose to circumvent that, don't expect them to bend over backwards to help you out.

No one suggested dealers are asking for extra money to do warranty work. They just make warranty work a lower priority (warranties typically have no time frame requirements, so it's easy to push you off). And warranty work for those who don't buy from that dealer tend to be the lowest of the low in terms of priority.

I'm betting you are well aware of situations where you couldn't take a product back to a different store. When was the last time you bought a product at Walmart and then tried to return it for a warranty issue at Sears (same exact model and pick different stores if you have an issue with these two...doesn't change the point). Difference, is you wouldn't even think of trying to do it because you know they would tell you to take it back to the store you bought it at.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All RVs roll off the line with flaws. The selling dealer is expected to act as the quality control department. Having a good dealer is very critical.

What is the name of the dealer that screwed you over?

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aliner is a nich market trailer with some tough competitors around them, and they are not cheap. For this reason you may have some success getting them to address the issues you listed. I would contact them directly and provide them as many pictures as necessary. If you run into road blocks with them contact Trailer Life magazine and work it through them. They will vet your story and may publish it which really gets the attention of the manufacturer.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Poor quality/returning trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.