cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any advice for replacing exhaust manifold gasket in a 454?

atikovi
Explorer
Explorer
On my 1988 Southwind the driver side is leaking and wont pass inspection. I have a 1989 P30 factory service manual but it pretty much just says to remove spark plugs, remove exhaust pipe, remove manifold bolts and plug shields, remove manifold. I'm sure it's more involved than that.
27 REPLIES 27

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
After restoring old cars for 35 years the best penetrating spray I found is Kroil.
Several shady folks here I would never buy anything from. I just hope they get treated the same on their next purchase.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

atikovi
Explorer
Explorer
Turns out those are the wrong gaskets. This manifold has round ports and those gaskets are oval. Looks like I need a Fel Pro 1412 or Mahle 95100SG. Any idea what heat riser gasket it would take? The distance between bolts is 3 9/32" and the hole diameter is 2 9/16" but I came up empty.

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Great job! I think the composite gaskets would work just fine.

atikovi
Explorer
Explorer
Got it off today in less than an hour.

Didn't bother using any fluid as it's mounted with bolts and no way to reach the threads behind the manifold. Bolts came out without any issue. Which gasket should I use? This metal GM gasket for about $20?

Or these composite style aftermarket for half that for a pair?

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
atikovi wrote:
Brian in Michigan wrote:
Are you sure its a blown gasket and not a cracked manifold?

At this point does it matter? Either way it has to come off.

Well, yes, it does matter. If the manifold is cracked, replacing the gasket won't fix your problem. :h
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
I would definitely be tempted to go over it with a stethoscope and figure exactly where the noise is coming from before I took it apart.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

atikovi
Explorer
Explorer
Brian in Michigan wrote:
Are you sure its a blown gasket and not a cracked manifold?

At this point does it matter? Either way it has to come off.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I changed mine over to headers about 10 years ago. Used my acetylene torches and got each bolt red hot then let it cool for a minute. Each bolt came right out. Are you sure its a blown gasket and not a cracked manifold?
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
The best penetrating oil I ever used is a homemade 50/50 transmission fluid and acetone.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:
atikovi wrote:
K Charles wrote:
your selling it. Get it hot, mix up some furnace cement, or buy some pre mixed, and but it on the leak. Let it dry before starting.

For a blown gasket?

It will stop the leak.

IMHO, Do it RIGHT or Don't do it at all. Passing along a known problem to an unsuspecting buyer is wrong on many levels. Also, given the age of the coach, whoever buys it will most likely be someone who can least afford to fix it. If you do band aid it, morally you should let that be known to the buyer.

As to changing out the gasket, yes, it's that easy. Spraying PB Blaster or penetrating oil every day for a week is solid advice. I'd spray, wait a day and try to remove them. If they don't budge, repeat. Cold or hot won't matter except for you comfort level. I'd work on it cold. You might get lucky and the bolts will spin right out. Go slow and don't try to force them or they may break. After spraying a quick rap with a hammer may help in working the penetrating oil into the bolt threads....good luck....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Those look like stainless steel headers to me. Blow up the photo. It has several places with welds and the tubing doesn't look cast at all. Spray and soak then give them a twist. And don't try to patch with mixed up junk.

atikovi
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
They are cast iron.

I've never seen cast iron formed into tubular shapes like these, especially with that accordion section in the middle like that.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Agreed with daily spraying them for at least a week with a penetrating oil. Even if you are going to have a shop do it you might prevent a few broken bolts and the subsequent increase in labor rate.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
atikovi wrote:
Gjac wrote:
If you look very carefully the stock manifolds are probably cracked anyways.

I thought they were stainless steel?
. They are cast iron. The newer headers may be SS depending on make. Banks is SS. Thorleys carbon steel and ceramic coated.