Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Owning a Cummins Diesel?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Owning a Cummins Diesel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys, the 3500 SRW crew cab long beds are like hen's teeth, seems like most of the 3500's are duallies. One with the 6.4 Hemi is ever harder to find even with a nationwide search. So, a clean 2015 with the diesel (68RFE) and 81k miles popped up closeby and I'm seriously considering it. Caught me somewhat flat-footed because I hadn't done any research on a diesel, I've never owned one, and now I have a zillion questions LOL. I found a great truck in NC that had the Aisin, but at $45k for a 2015 was a budget buster for me.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

riflegunbuilder

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on my 2nd Cummins. First was an 11 2500 drove it 112,000 only brakes and a fan bearing. On a 15 3500 dually now 68RE transmission. Really like it.

Vanished

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must have been the one with the bad luck... Water pump recalls and low coolant on my '15... after 3 trips to the dealer they finally realized it's been drinking coolant thru a cracked EGR cooler and that scared me enough to dump the truck 'as is' to the dealer...

2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Is DEF easy to find now or do y'all still carry extra?

I don't use it in my truck, but I see it all over the place when I'm shopping.

Wal-Mart sells it. Auto parts stores sell it. Gas stations sell it in their convenience store. Farm and Ranch type stores sell it.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins seem to get the best MPG of the big 3 (GM, Ford, Ram). Most folks who have them, love them. Changing fuel filter can be cumbersome, but doable. IMO and vantage point of a semi driver, most RV transport guys run Rams w/ Cummins motors. Of their 2 tranny's, the Aisin is their top of the line. If you end up w/ a SRW, may want to consider Timbrens, airbags or "X" to help the rear end from squatting w/ camper on. Like what a couple others said about DEF, can get at most truck stops in truck lanes OR at any auto store. Usage should be 10 gallons/year as one said. Buy fuel at truck stop if you can due to high turnover of fuel. If not, find a large local place where you see a lot of companies fueling up (utility, landscapers, town/hiway dept., school buses, etc). Others with Cummins can chime in on fuel additives.

A lot to consider, but in the long run, a diesel is by far the best way to go if towing a lot or heavy and still get decent mpg's. Gassers have come a long way and for lots of folks, will work best for their set ups and don't want to deal w/ diesels and worrying about fuel and all. Both gas & diesel have their pluses and minuses. Do not be afraid to ask questions here about them as there is a HUGE amount of folks ready to assist you to answer them. May get some biased opinions and keyboard fighting, but it's all good. Let us know how you make out.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Thanks guys, the 3500 SRW crew cab long beds are like hen's teeth, seems like most of the 3500's are duallies. One with the 6.4 Hemi is ever harder to find even with a nationwide search. So, a clean 2015 with the diesel (68RFE) and 81k miles popped up closeby and I'm seriously considering it. Caught me somewhat flat-footed because I hadn't done any research on a diesel, I've never owned one, and now I have a zillion questions LOL. I found a great truck in NC that had the Aisin, but at $45k for a 2015 was a budget buster for me.
I believe your budget is $40k, right? You're just $5k away from a brand new diesel truck. There are a few brand new 2019 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins CC LB's in the NE area with employee pricing around $48k. Add in a minimal $3k dealer discount (probably get more) and you should be able to bag one for $45k or less. That extra $5k will get you that new truck smell, ~zero miles, and a full 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty. I might add this particular trim level will net you almost 4,580 lbs. of payload (4,000 lbs. of that is available on the rear axle). Comes in very handy hauling a heavy in-bed camper. Good luck!

* This post was last edited 05/14/20 11:55am by otrfun *   View edit history

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^But he’s already talked himself up from an older gasser pickup to newer gasser to newer diesel.....can see where this is going. Lol
By next week it’ll be a new Duramax Denali!

Can’t wait to see what ya get burbman. I’m sure it’ll be awesome!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2015 has been mostly great. I say mostly for two reasons. One, the water pump failed on me while towing the camper home from a vacation and left us stranded a few days. The replacement was also a bad unit, and it took several months before the dealership was able to replace it with a good version under the recall. Two, it's just had too many recalls. All minor stuff but a half dozen or so recalls is excessive.

Those caveats aside, I love the truck. It's fun to drive, tows like a boss, is reasonably efficient and it just does whatever I ask without complaint. I've got about 65k miles on it so far.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

75k on my 15 towing a combined weight of 35k in this pic. Towing about 1/3 of my total mileage I get an honest 9mpg AVERAGE hand calc West Coast along I-5.

Truck has been flawless, still drives like new. True Medium Duty Cummins and AISIN are a pleasure to drive.

Owned a 11 HO DRW and towed a combined 29k with the 68RFE. Did great but took it easy on take off on grades because of the tall 3.42 gearing. Towed at 60 with rPM's at 1,750 the same as my current 15 with 4.10's in 6th.

This is my 5th Cummins over 19 years.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

My 2015 has been mostly great. I say mostly for two reasons. One, the water pump failed on me while towing the camper home from a vacation and left us stranded a few days. The replacement was also a bad unit, and it took several months before the dealership was able to replace it with a good version under the recall. Two, it's just had too many recalls. All minor stuff but a half dozen or so recalls is excessive.

Those caveats aside, I love the truck. It's fun to drive, tows like a boss, is reasonably efficient and it just does whatever I ask without complaint. I've got about 65k miles on it so far.

The water pump on a Cummins is an easy replacement, even if it was a warranty issue I would have asked for a NAPA or Gates pump to get back on the road.
The pump is a little harder to get to on the 2016, but changed the one in our 2001 Ram CTD in a parking lot in about 20 minutes and at least half the time was getting the belt back on.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Owning a Cummins Diesel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.