Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: truck swerved with hard braking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbolotune wrote:

camp-n-family wrote:

Have the brakes ever been serviced? If not you are way overdue at that year and mileage. I have similar mileage on my ‘17 and they have been serviced twice. The manual recommends brake service every 20k miles, more under heavy duty use.

Was this 20k miles of highway, city, or mixed? I have 42k miles almost all highway. I am surprised you need brake service every 20k miles. The RAM manual says to check the brake pads every 20k but I have been googling brake work and that 20K is a check but pads usually last longer than 20k.

Also from my recent google reading "brake service" can mean many things. New pads, or add rotor, or add caliber. Possibly bleeding and replacing fluid. What service have you needed?

Sorry, it should have said “inspection “ every 20k, not necessarily service although my local dealer recommends service which includes removing and cleaning the calipers, lubricating the pins and slides and inspecting pads and rotors, turning if necessary.

My driving is 50/50 city and highway. Takes me a year and a half to reach the recommended mileage. I didn’t pay much attention to the service schedule on my first Ram and had a caliper seize at 50k kms (31k mi). That mistake cost me a $1200cdn repair bill. I pay closer attention now. I had first service done at 32kms and the 2nd when they started pulsing at 58k.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious if there was a crown in the road. You mention you were mid pass, so between lanes. If there was any rise in the pavement between lanes or grooves where the tires track and you hit the brakes hard on one it could cause the wheels to pull to one side.

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 02:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

Curious if there was a crown in the road. You mention you were mid pass, so between lanes. If there was any rise in the pavement between lanes or grooves where the tires track and you hit the brakes hard on one it could cause the wheels to pull to one side.

This very well could be. I believe that I was still changing lanes when I hit the brakes. As soon as I cleared the 18 wheeler enough to see that the left lane was blocked I braked. Someone else sent me a private message saying the same thing, that the swerve while braking could have been caused by a groove in the road.

I really don't know but it seem logical that I may have also started to move back to the right lane as I was braking. That would be the reflexive reaction.

Seems the moral of the story is BE MORE CAREFUL. When passing an 18 wheeler don't assume that the left lane is clear, because there is a blind spot where there could be a slow vehicle in the left lane. Then being in the middle of changing lanes while starting a hard brake is that much worse.

Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks camp-n-family. I was curious.

Most of my driving was freeway until I bought a car and quit using my truck every day.

I was getting new tires at about 80,000 miles and I asked my friend who owns the tire store if he would mind of I looked at my brakes while they had the wheels off and his reply was, "oh go right ahead but I'll tell you that the brakes on those trucks never wear out".

I'm starting to believe him.

I look at the pads when I rotate my tires.I marvel that they have lasted as long as they have but there's still plenty of pad left and they're wearing evenly.

OP, I'm glad all is well.

Did you ever hit your brakes hard to see if it did it again or was it just a one time thing?

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't given my two cents on this because it could be from many causes,stuck caliper/collapsed brake line or something as simple as a foreign substance on the brake shoes....It happens and has to me,but luckily mine was just stuff on the shoes which was easily taken care of with power breaking..Another time it was a worn rotor..

It's something that internet advice won't cure but a knowledgeable mechanic can..Sometimes the cure is really simple and other times,it isn't and needs expert advice from people who fix things like that for a living...

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Thanks camp-n-family. I was curious.

Most of my driving was freeway until I bought a car and quit using my truck every day.

I was getting new tires at about 80,000 miles and I asked my friend who owns the tire store if he would mind of I looked at my brakes while they had the wheels off and his reply was, "oh go right ahead but I'll tell you that the brakes on those trucks never wear out".

I'm starting to believe him.

I look at the pads when I rotate my tires.I marvel that they have lasted as long as they have but there's still plenty of pad left and they're wearing evenly.

OP, I'm glad all is well.

Did you ever hit your brakes hard to see if it did it again or was it just a one time thing?

The brake components seem to last pretty good but I find the calipers get sticky and the rotors rusty. A regular clean and lube of the calipers and resurfacing of the rotors and they will last even longer.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Gen 2 Ram. I remember there was something called The Sidewalk Lunge or something. Those trucks would pull to the right under braking. I never figured out what caused it, but I would think by 16 they fixed it.
Whatever it was, it had a name because it was so common.
An RV forum is the wrong place to ask. Check the Cummins forum for Ram trucks, those guys know mechanical stuff. If a problem exist, then they have discussed it.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbolotune wrote:

Well the truck is back from the dealer and I can report results. I was told the mechanic inspected the brakes and there is plenty of life on the pads (10mm) and the brakes are functioning properly. So they did no service.

I had said might as well rotate tires but only if you need to remove the tires to check the brakes, otherwise the tires are not due for rotation. I was told they did not need to remove the tires. That they were able to inspect the brakes without removing the tires. This surprises me. I thought tires needed to be removed to inspect brakes.

You are correct tough to do a quality inspection of brakes with the wheels on.
have to be-careful of "mechanics" not all deserve the title.
When I bought my used camper I suspected a bent axle because of tire wear on just one wheel. Their "mechanic" said nothing was wrong. Fortunately I work with machinery all the time so a new 160.00 Dexter axle was easy to put in. And yes the old axle was bent.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, I read all the comments here and that will teach you to post too many details about your driving! [emoticon]

FWIW, I have had my truck pull with the camper under hard braking. It seems variances that would be unnoticed are magnified when hard braking. For example, normal braking it might pull just a little and the power steering largely masks the tug. A hard brake application magnifies it and makes it noticeable.

Actually, as I write this, it leads me to another line of thinking. A lot of vehicles these days have variable power steering to enhance the road feel. At low speeds more power steering is applied to make the wheels pivot. At high speeds less power steering assistance is needed so less is applied, therefore enhancing the road feeling. Maybe because this braking occurred at speed, the power steering wasn't assisting like it otherwise would have and thus it appeared to pull harder than expected???

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.