cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbirding 2020/21

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Unless a miracle happens there will be no vaccine for the Corona Virus when it is time to head south for the winter. It seems to me that the same rules will apply as were in effect the latter part of this year's snowbird season; namely wearing masks and keeping your distance. Who needs that?
I should have posted that the rules will take some of the spontaneity away from the experience.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)
28 REPLIES 28

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
A little reading on vaccines. Not going to be easy.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-vaccine/art-20484859
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

i think as time passes we'll see that CV19 isn't nearly as deady as we now think...at least to most age groups.

90,000 families may disagree with your diagnosis. You are correct that parents and grandparents are the ones most vulnerable. And disposable??

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

i think as time passes we'll see that CV19 isn't nearly as deady as we now think...at least to most age groups.

So 100-200K dead in a few weeks is just a blip for you? Clearly you don't have a medical condition that will be exacerbated. And when on is dead, they are dead.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Unless a miracle happens there will be no vaccine for the Corona Virus when it is time to head south for the winter. It seems to me that the same rules will apply as were in effect the latter part of this year's snowbird season; namely wearing masks and keeping your distance. Who needs that?
I should have posted that the rules will take some of the spontaneity away from the experience.
There has never been a vaccine for pass coronvirus' and some scientists question if there will be one for this most recent coronvirus.

Actually there are ones for both SARS and MERS. In both cases, they never got into production because those viruses turned out to be 1) hard to catch and 2) extremely lethal. And some researchers are trying to build upon that previous vaccine work and modify it for Clovid19.

We decided not to travel this summer so are just riding it out in our park model - might take the motorhome out for a couple of weeks, but otherwise we are just going to hang out in the park and take it one day at a time.

Also, hubby is recovering from quadruple bypass surgery (8 weeks post surgery now) and they are still trying to get the meds adjusted. We are use to it just being the two of us together, so this isn't a real hardship except no concerts to go to and we miss breakfasts out. But we won't be going to restaurants to dine-in (though we do takeout/delivery) until there is a vaccine.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
There has never been a vaccine for pass coronvirus' and some scientists question if there will be one for this most recent coronvirus.

Well, lets hope that doesn't happen. Because if it does, a virus that is as contagious and deadly as this one will make insurance companies like medipac very reluctant to issue travel insurance policies inclusive of Covid19. And without an insurance policy Canadian Snowbirders will be reluctant to return to the US. Our property in the US doesn't owe us anything after 18 years but we would definitely be selling it if we couldn't use it. No panic as we can rent it out until it sells but definitely something to think about.

I tend to agree with that. Lets hope that the insurance companies see it that way. ๐Ÿ™‚

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Dick_B wrote:

Well, lets hope that doesn't happen. Because if it does, a virus that is as contagious and deadly as this one will make insurance companies like medipac very reluctant to issue travel insurance policies inclusive of Covid19. And without an insurance policy Canadian Snowbirders will be reluctant to return to the US. Our property in the US doesn't owe us anything after 18 years but we would definitely be selling it if we couldn't use it. No panic as we can rent it out until it sells but definitely something to think about.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
Dick_B wrote:

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
spud1957 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
legsnred wrote:
What I am wondering about is all of our Canadian friends.

As it stands now, Canadians cannot get out of country medical insurance. Unless that changes, I doubt you will see many of us. We may have to get reacquainted with Canadian winters.

That is not the case. Medipac, for example, will still allow new travel coverage BUT will not cover Covid19 illness or illness/symptoms similiar to COVID.

This information is stated on their website.

Which would be enough to deter lots of snowbirds from travelling to countries or regions with high medical care costs. Eg, the USA. Southern Europe may benefit from this come fall 2020.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
legsnred wrote:

As it stands now, Canadians cannot get out of country medical insurance. Unless that changes, I doubt you will see many of us. We may have to get reacquainted with Canadian winters.

That is not the case. Medipac, for example, will still allow new travel coverage BUT will not cover Covid19 illness or illness/symptoms similiar to COVID.

This information is stated on their website.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Flyboy320 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
legsnred wrote:

No vaccine....No medical insurance....no travel to USA. Have a winter home in Casa Grande, AZ and optimistically....2 yrs before I`m there again.

Yep. So far the insurance companies are keeping their cards close and no one knows what the situation will be in October. We are not counting on seeing our place in So Cal any time soon.

Europe is starting to take baby steps towards opening up though and Spain and Morroco have potential for a close to normal snowbird experience. With Brexit in full swing there will be some smokin deals for condos along the Andalucian coast. A few months split between Malaga area and Granada would be a great way to break up the winter.

I think weโ€™ll all be waiting for answers until at least mid summer.

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
legsnred wrote:

No vaccine....No medical insurance....no travel to USA. Have a winter home in Casa Grande, AZ and optimistically....2 yrs before I`m there again.

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
There has always been a large contingent of people who do not get flu shots during more normal times, and yet they fear not and do not get the flu de jour. How did they escape all the various strains of multiple and different flu viruses? Probably by exercising the same practices that are prevalent today. Cover that cough or sneeze, keep your distance, wash your hands, etc., etc. There comes a time when the media and the masses make too much of what evolves into a political opportunity for one party or another. Fear becomes a motivator; too much fear becomes a weapon.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Texas hill country. Jan to May. Just try and stop me. I can sit inside there as well as at home. No ice and no snow to slip amd fall on.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS