cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading back to our favorite RV site...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like most of America we have been sheltering in place anxiously awaiting our opportunity to get back out in our 24' Nexus Phantom. Now that most of the states are relaxing the stay at home restrictions we want to get out but campgrounds still make me a tad nervous...

Happily we have a great solution. My best friend built his dream home in Angel Fire New Mexico about 5 years ago. He has 3 gorgeous acres at 9,000' and we usually get up there 3+ times a year. When he was building the house {3,900 square ft 3 bedroom 3.5 bath including a nice 8 X 12' wine cellar} I joked with him that he needed to put in an RV pad for our future use. I can't repeat here what he said but...

Lo and behold on our first visit there was our RV site complete with 30 amp service. He brought in several dump truck loads of gravel for the pad and then trenched 250' down 3' deep to get below the frost line to bring in the power. In the pic you can see the trench and pedestal as the backhoe crew had not backfilled it yet.

Not only is this site beautiful it comes with a nice collection of wildlife. Elk, Black bears, wild turkey's and deer are just about everyday visitors.

We will be making the 700+ mile drive up from Tucson on June first to spend a week or so and will still be toughing out our continued quarantine in this incredible location with our two best friends. If things continue to loosen up we may swing through southern Colorado on the return trip as Pagosa Spring is one of our favorite summer destinations.

:B
12 REPLIES 12

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been enjoying our stay here in Angel Fire all week. The weather has been great with highs in the low to mid 70's and a little rain. We are headed for Shotgun Willies in Red River this morning for the smoked brisket breakfast burritos {smothered in Hatch Green Chile sauce - Yummm!}.

We will head out for Wyoming in the morning driving east out of Eagle Nest on 64 and connecting with I-25 up through Denver. That stretch of 64 is spectacular and very tight but even with the cargo trailer we are only 38' and I know the road well. Should be clear of Denver in the early afternoon and will spend a day or so exploring Wyoming as we work our way up to West Yellowstone where we have reservations at the Grizzily RV Park starting Sunday.

The weather is calling for rain and snow showers possible for the first couple of days in Yellowstone so may have to delay the motorcycle ride through the park a little. If so I'll just leave the trailer in our site and drive the coach. At 24' we can explore the park just fine and by the time we leave and head down to Grand Teton the weather is looking pretty good.

Having waaaay too much fun with our friends and looking forward to many more new adventures before we head home in the middle of June.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're here, hooray! Had a great ride up from Tucson, spent the night at the Balloon View RV Park on the north side of Albuquerque so as to beat the Monday morning commute traffic when we headed on up to Angel Fire. Not much of an RV Park, gravel lots with few amenities crowded with locals living there full time, but for us a great location, we were in and set up by 5 and out at 0630.

Got here at 1030 after a couple of stops and the weather is awesome... 71 for a high and lows around 40. Looking at a 90 recent chance of thunderstorms this afternoon and tomorrow morning we are headed back up to Red River for shotgun Willies smoked brisket breakfast burritos smothered in Hatch Green Chile sauce... Yummm!

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful! Great to read this positive travel post.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just came across the pic that showed the RV site, coach and the house and with the upcoming trip decided to share once more. We have all been the best of friends for 30+ years as we shared a boating addiction in San Diego for several decades.

Yes the Angel Fire area is amazing. Every visit I spend time at the Viet Nam Memorial and of course there is always the obligatory ride up to Red River for breakfast at Shotgun Willies. The smoked brisket breakfast burrito smothered in Hatch green chile sauce is always worth the trip!

Life is good!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah, now I remember you telling us (last year?) about this situation. What a fabulous friend and what a pleasant looking place! Be careful or you'll have someone trying to slip a tracking device on your bumper! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
So beautiful! Lucky you are!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain, two best friends ? You really need to have more best friends than that. Two is not even near a minimum amount according to the RVIA code. I think you need to post some directions and supply some info where people can send in a 'friendship application'.

P.S. My wife is a gourmet chef and I converted my utility trailer into a beer cooler ! :B

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Angel Fire is great, it has the 1st Official Viet Nam memorial in the US, dedicated by a minister to his son and several others who were killed on the same day.
The problem is that the speculators were trying to over commercialize the area so really dont know how that worked out, There is a lake there also I think its a NM park not sure. At the other end of the road by I25 is the NRA's site with the boy scouts national camp (philmont)site in between. There is a good example of optical illusions as the roadside stream appears to be flowing uphill in several places!

Have been thru the area several times and enjoyed it greatly. There are also some nice places to visit in the general area.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great friendships never cease to amaze me.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
That's awesome. Enjoy.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
What a beautiful spot and gorgeous home!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
As I've probably said before, that is an awesome area. Loved camping and sno machining in that area.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold