cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southeast Florida to Sheboygan, Wisconsin RT

thankdog
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the timing is not the best but its the only time we have - looking to plan 2-3 weeks trip leaving 2nd week in July in a 41' DP w/tow from SE FL up to Whistling Straits area and back. Looking to camp in easy access, pet friendly locations, full hook up not always required but needed periodically.

I have read all the threads with Wisconsin info but looking for more recent suggestions on camping options. Love state/county parks but private CG also ok as long as easy to get in and out of and pet friendly. Love to unhook toad and do side day trips, sightsee, love the coast, history and photo ops but also just enjoy driving tours to see sights. Dont need hiking or fishing suggestions just a leisurely time to enjoy ourselves best we can.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated, noted and yes we understand how covid restrictions may limit this trip. Its the only time we will have to go - personal reasons why this cannot wait. Therefore no need to explain why now is not the time or be careful - we will - we get that. Just suggested safe routes, easy access, camping suggestions really truly appreciated.....TIA
Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Dog show mobile + Jeep 4-DR Wrangler toad
5 REPLIES 5

thankdog
Explorer
Explorer
Apologies it was a typo - def from South East FL.I have corrected it.

Thanks everyone so far - great suggestions.

We have Sun Pass, Peach Pass and EZ Pass (along with TX pass as well). Waiting for the day when one toll pass is good in all states . . . .
Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Dog show mobile + Jeep 4-DR Wrangler toad

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I am confused. Your topic says “from SE Florida”. In your post your say “from SW FL”.

Oh well, I would suggest getting to the intersection of I10 & Rt 231. Take Rt 231 north to I65 junction in Montgomery. Take I65 north to I24. I24 north to I57. I57 north to I294. I294 north to I94. I94 north to Milwaukee. Then I43 to your destination. Kettle Moraine State Forest is a bit west & south of Sheboygan.

I294 is a tollway. If you have the spiffy Sun Pass that is recognized by E-ZPass you may be fine. I know Illinois toll roads recognizes E-ZPass.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to avoid Chicago, take I-74 west to I-39 north, to I-43 through Milwaukee. If going through Chicago, take the I-294 bypass in Chicago to I-94 to Milwaukee. (Sorry, I-90 doesn't go to Milwaukee Dick B, it goes northwest to Rockford/Madison).
There are several state parks along Lake Michigan and they are extremely popular. Very unlikely to reserve a site now, but you might get lucky. I have no experience with the private places there to make a suggestion.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Download Google maps and put in your start/finish addresses and see what they recommend. Going in the other direction from the Chicago area we take I-57 thru Illinois, I-24 thru Kentucky, Tennessee into Georgia to pickup I-57 in Atlanta. North of Chicago it's I-90 thru Milwaukee and I-43 to Sheboygan.
Check the miles on Google to decide how many days it will take. I figure 1500 miles each way which is close to a week to get there and a week back the way we drive.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
If you are going further north to door county a good private campground is Hy-land court south of Ellison bay. Can not help much with whats on the east side of WI.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly