Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2021 Ford E-Series No V-10
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 2021 Ford E-Series No V-10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
jamesroadking

Lake City, Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2011 I bought a new 2011 F250 with the new 6.7 diesel, which had been advertised to have been a million-mile tested in the hot deserts and freezing conditions etc. etc. Guess what, for 2012 the 6.7 had been changed, then again changed in 2015.
The Ford 6.7 diesel is an awesomely powerful motor, pretty efficient, but way too complicated and way way too expensive to have work done on it after the warranty expired.
After all these years, guys in the know are still looking to buy the old Ford 7.3 diesel with less HP and torque than the new motors because it's a lot less expensive to repair and they're a lot more reliable.
I'd be concerned that the new Ford 7.3 gas motor will be too complicated with the new 2021 EPA and Euro smog equipment and that they will have direct fuel injection. I prefer the older Port injection.
On a side note, a few months ago I traded that 2011 6.7 F250 diesel (they gave me $35k.) for a down payment on a 2020 E450 Entegra Odessey class C ($74K) with the 1990 era, zillion mile proven 6.8 V10.

* This post was edited 06/03/20 03:01am by jamesroadking *

jamesroadking

Lake City, Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2020 Entegra Odyssey 24B class C with the 6.8 costs $74,995
The new Entegra Odyssey's 24B with the 7.3 now sell for 94,995 at the same dealership that we bought ours at.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many gas engines out there with direct injection but the new 7.3 is not one of them. It even has pushrods, not OHC like the V10. It's not proven yet like the V10, but it appears to have durable, proven design features.

Gary45

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford went back to push rod design because they are better at developing torque at lower rpm, what you need in heavy vehicle like a motorhome. Overhead cam develops power better at higher rpm, better for performance vehicles like sports cars and motorcycles

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meh, I owned a 6.0 for 10 years & never had an engine related issue, but then again I never chipped or modified the powertrain in any way. The 1st year of them (2003) Ford cheaped out on the IH spec'd injectors. I would say the 6.0 was a horrible engine to hot rod. For years every time I was at a fuel pump & someone else was there with another 6.0 I would ask them if they had lots of issues, it was very rare I ever encountered someone who said they did and 99% of those guys were running chipped trucks.

The current 6.7 Ford diesel has been a great engine from the day they started selling it to the public. The 6.2l gasser was a good engine from a reliability perspective over the many years Ford offered it in the Super Duties. The 7.3 gasser should be no different. Say what you want about the 6.0 &/or 6.4 diesels but those were IH engines that Ford did stuff to that didn't help. 6.0s that were used in medium duty commercial trucks that were untouched by Ford's hand, had/have a good track record.

Haven't had a Ford pickup for a number of years & even more since I had a Ford diesel pickup.... I'm not a Ford guy per se, just someone who's owned some of them & noticed how people chipping & otherwise messing with OEM power tend to cause a whole lot of problems (then blame the manufacturer). FWIW, the worst diesel vehicle I've ever owned in my life was a 24v Dodge/Cummins. The list of **** that went wrong with that truck was biblical (& MANY of those issues were with the motor, which if you believe people all over the interwebs, are engines that are beyond bulletproof. Lol).

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

Meh, I owned a 6.0 for 10 years & never had an engine related issue, but then again I never chipped or modified the powertrain in any way.
For years every time I was at a fuel pump & someone else was there with another 6.0 I would ask them if they had lots of issues, it was very rare I ever encountered someone who said they did and 99% of those guys were running chipped trucks.

Lol).

Lol is right!
Funny story, back in 2013, I started a construction project up in the North Slope Oilfields in AK.
One of our subcontractors had a big equipment shop in Deadhorse and, at the time, the majority of the diesel trucks, light and heavy duty were all still pre 2007/08 emissions due to the extremely unreliable service of the new emissions and the conditions the trucks were operated in. 1000s of idle hours, -30 to -50 F winter temps, no load, 35mph max speed limits.
So this outfit had a huge fleet of 6.0 Powerstrokes and LB7 to LBZ Duramaxes. (Because Dodge didn't make a true crew cab long bed truck until 2010)
In the shop, there was 4 lines of light duty engines sitting on pallets. 2 long lines of engines with 15-20 engines in each line and 2 really short lines with like 5 in one line and 2 in the other.
Asked the maint supt what was up with that? He said guess which of the 2 are 6.0nos and which are Duramaxes.
Yup, 400-500% more 6.0s ready to be dropped in or already blown up.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

FWIW, the worst diesel vehicle I've ever owned in my life was a 24v Dodge/Cummins. The list of **** that went wrong with that truck was biblical (& MANY of those issues were with the motor, which if you believe people all over the interwebs, are engines that are beyond bulletproof. Lol).

Did you have it parked next to one of those Powerstrokes? Some of the Ford afflictions were so bad, they were contagious I heard...

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I follow different truck forums, I personally own a 06 Duramax with 94,000 miles on it. The questions on the forums regarding engine issues or failures

frequently have been chipped or otherwise tampered with. Mine is bone stock, pulls loads nicely up hills and is just a treat to drive. The Allison

tranny is second to none. The fleet at work used Allisons under some of the most extreme abuse situations and seldom had a failure.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

The Ford v-10, the GM 283,the Chrysler slant 6 and the MB 5 cylinder diesel are my top choices in reliable well designed engines. Also the GM 250 straight 6 were bullet

proof. Ford put a weak tranny behind their diesel pickups in the early 2000's GM put the Allison. That tranny is amazing.

I would not go with the new engine either, the consumer ends up to be the test pilots. Often when a few MPG is waved around consumers go towards it.
while GM 6 was good it love gas gm V8 got the same MG I know have both kept the 307.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

Meh, I owned a 6.0 for 10 years & never had an engine related issue, but then again I never chipped or modified the powertrain in any way. The 1st year of them (2003) Ford cheaped out on the IH spec'd injectors. I would say the 6.0 was a horrible engine to hot rod. For years every time I was at a fuel pump & someone else was there with another 6.0 I would ask them if they had lots of issues, it was very rare I ever encountered someone who said they did and 99% of those guys were running chipped trucks. .

We’ve got a bunch of 6.0 Fords, never had a lick of problem with ANY of them, but then again we maintain them, properly.

A local diesel specialty shop near here our mechanics use have always said, the most abusive thing you can do to a diesel pickup is to leave it idling, or putting around, they need to WORK!!

I personally think the 6.0 PowerStroke ‘story’ is much like the Pinto ‘story’. The truth is the Pinto was safer than the competitions models.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 2021 Ford E-Series No V-10
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.