Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to camp with electric only
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to camp with electric only

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Enjoy the trip and don't be so concerned about water. What would you do if you were camping in a tent?

What would I do if I was camping in a tent? I would buy an RV. I camped in a tent 30 years ago, but that's not me anymore.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ericosmith wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

We carry a 7 gallon potable water jug that we use to supplement our 65 gallon onboard tank as needed. When the jug is empty, we take it to the nearest community source and refill it. If we need more water in the onboard tank, we just use the winterization suction hose on our pump to refill the onboard tank from the portable jug.

Could you explain this a bit. Do you just open both valves and it flows into, instead of out of, the tank?

I have a suction hose installed with a 3-port valve on the suction side of the pump. The valve selects whether the hose or the storage tank is used as the water source by the pump. Another valve selects whether the output side of the pump and the city water port connect to the storage tank or the rest of the plumbing. With the suction valve set to the hose and the other valve in the tank fill position, the pump sucks the water from the portable jug and sends it to the storage tank. The fill valve is also used when city water is available to fill the tank. The suction hose/valve can also be used to install RV anti-freeze in the plumbing when winterizing, although I prefer blowing out the lines...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/20 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in my backpacking days, water was always an issue. Once Giardia became common, our concerns doubled. Who wants to carry all that weight??

The good news is that it takes very little water to keep you alive and healthy. A gallon per person per day is enough, and you only drink half of that. Though more makes many things more comfortable!

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I modified my plumbing so I have a valve on the water tank side and to an open "hose" so I can switch over to a portable 5 gallon water jug for the house water. The pump pulls it in. The jug has a tube that pulls off the bottom of the jug and the hose has a garden hose fitting so just screws in to the jug. I put the valve near the end so no water leaks out of the hose when disconnected. I carry two of these jugs if needed. They can be carried easily by hand and do not make store owners mad if you fill them as maybe filling an RV would.
I try to use the jug water first, so I have empty jugs to refill asap. Then resort to the on-board water tank last.
This is when I am boondocking seriously.

For me, washing dishes (two meals a day) seems to use the most water. I try to make the water go a long way, using the rinse water from one as the soak water for the next, and rinsing as many things at once as I can etc...

I am usually out on the trail for hours on end getting very dirty and sweaty, so the wipes are just not going to remove that. I have to shower every day, but I think I barely use more than 1 and a half gallons for that. Cold water, as waiting for hot water to get to the head is waste also. Cold showers use less water too. I have been known to put dirty dishes and other things lined up for a wash under me when showering so that water starts the process. Thoug, I do dishes like this only wen I can solo.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of these responses are more like "how to exist" rather than how to camp.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still wondering how you managed to fill up both a black and gray tank in one day. Are your tanks teeny tiny?

We boondock often. As a female, with hair that needs to be washed every day or two, I Navy shower. Turn water on to get everything wet, turn off water. Then soap up hair, turn water on to rinse hair. Turn off water, put in hair conditioner, and then do body wash. Rinse. Done. Uses very little water, and I never run out of hot water either. A man could do it with even less.

For dishes... well, we use paper plates/utensils for the most part. Not the most eco-friendly, but saves a lot of dish water. Get one of those sponges with a handle that holds soap, so you can wash things little by little instead of a whole sink of dishes.

The toilet is the one thing we don't mess around with. Husband has Crohn's disease. We use it as normal. Easy enough to add more water with a jug to that to flush if things got really dire, but we have yet to be in that position.

2020 Keystone Montana 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

Newbie question here....

A few years ago we went boondock camping with a friend of ours. His new girlfriend was a first time camper. She proceeded to take a home-style shower. She was the new girlfriend, and it was important to look good and all that...

My point is make sure the rest of your camping party knows about water conservation, lest you find yourself in a similar situation. [emoticon]

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is nice to have a unit that is setup for glamping no matter the situation.

Water capacity & battery capacity are king. Something learned long ago in the boating world of 100% no hookups.

We have 100gal fresh water capacity & 220AH battery bank.

If we arrive at a CG & all they have is dry or power only, no problem.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

I definitely plan to arrive with a full tank. Lately we blast through our capacity (black and gray) in one day. I think if we tried we could go 2 or 3 days, but I have a 7-day reservation. Winnebago says my model has 36/42/51 (black, gray, fresh) with 6 for the water heater. Does that mean I have 51+6 in total fresh water? Hopefully, this park has a common water fill. I tried to call this morning, but they didn't answer so I sent them an email.

No offense, but if you are burning through 51 gallons of water in one day, you need to take a crash course on RV water use/conservation. Navy showers, navy toothbrushing, navy dishwashing, etc. My last motorhome had only 32 gallons; we could make it at least 2-3 days with a family of 5.

Growing up, we (family of 4) camped in a truck camper with a 10 gallon water tank, and made it fine for 2-3 day weekends (a small hand pump and no toilet/shower helped, obviously).

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. Using 51 gallons of fresh water in a day seems impossible to me.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to camp with electric only
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.