cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What TC truly sleeps 4 adults ?

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Our family of 4 are dipping our feet in the Truck Camper waters. Ideally we’d like at least a queen with 2 bunks that can hold a 6’ teenager. We’d also like a decent size dry bath. Primary use for this camper will be to sleep in while traveling to national parks. Hard sided is a must because we camp in grizzly country and some spots require hard sided campers.We are buying the truck camper before the truck so no worries there. Decent quality would be good. New or used is fine.

I’ve looked at the Eagle Cap 1165 and 1200... and the Lance 1172 I believe. Really nice but the bunks and dinettes are small.

We’re also not opposed to setting up 2 cots in the camper if needed....

Any suggestions?
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com
54 REPLIES 54

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
It's not for me at all. I just answered the OP question. I camp in a 45' DP. I like a lot of room.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
The scout TC with a pop top will sleep 4-6.

I can believe 4, maybe 5 with the upstairs, but 6 I am not so sure about. It does not have a bathroom or any of the amenities a typical TC has, it looks cool and the price is good if you are bringing your own cassette toilet and like to cook outdoors with the bugs.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen class C's that sleep 10. 2 in the back, 2 in the big bunk up front, 2 in separate bunk beds, 2 on the fold out couch, and 2 in the dinette. These are around 30 feet long, Not much more than a crew cab 8 foot bed truck with 2.5 feet of overhang from TC. Just a thought.
The scout TC with a pop top will sleep 4-6.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
I have a 12 and a 9 year old, even in the 1191 since they love to fight one sleeps on the floor and they switch places the next night. We are always converting the dinette into a bed and it works good, but still not great for grown adults, let alone two. I honestly don't know how big the rear tent option is since I have never seen one in person, I know they do have heat and air ducts to it and I think you can seal it up so it can be doable into late fall, not sure how well it would do during winter.

My other suggestion would be pull a teardrop camper behind the TC?

My tent looks to be about the size of the dinette. We steal its "mattress" for the bunk above the dinette and fold it in half.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

specta
Explorer
Explorer

My TT was perfect.

My TC is perfect.

They all have their own individual advantages and disadvantages.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomman58 wrote:
A couple of cold rainy days will enlighten you.

Thanks for the help. We’ll have to start avoiding cold rainy days from now on to keep from being enlightened. I wish I had known that before we camped during the rainy part of the year in Western WA and Western Oregon.

I have a few questions though before we go trade for a TT today. How do you tow a boat behind that 40 ft TT if needed? How do you park that long TT in 25 ft spaces? How do you park in friends/family driveways? Also, how long does it typically take you to get back to your kitchen when you are sightseeing?

We just aren’t used to the advantages of a TT because we typically have everything with us and can park almost anywhere when we aren’t towing. Again, thanks for your help. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
It’s almost unbelievable, but in over 30 years of exclusively traveling in TC’s, we’ve NEVER experienced a couple of cold rainy days.

I stayed in a KOA in Oregon for three days waiting for it to quit raining so I could go ride on the beaches of Coos Bay.

My first RV was a travel trailer, loved it. At the time it fit my needs better than a truck camper would have.

Today my truck camper fits my needs better than a travel trailer would.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
It’s almost unbelievable, but in over 30 years of exclusively traveling in TC’s, we’ve NEVER experienced a couple of cold rainy days. Good thing, I guess. I’m sure we would be running to the nearest RV dealership to buy a TT. A really LONG one, too.

“Please, Mr RV Dealer, sell me the longest dang TT you’ve got! It rained on our last trip, and I just can’t stand these truck campers another minute! I won’t ever be happy again until I’m dragging around a @#$& bowling alley!”

NOT! That was all sarcastic exaggeration in case you missed it. 😛

Hahahahahah! :W

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
This would be listed as cruel and unusual punishment! LOL A TT makes a better deal and a far more enjoyable outing,

Of course, if we found TTs more enjoyable, we’d have them. As you implied, they are cheaper.

Sleeping is only one part of a trip.

A couple of cold rainy days will enlighten you.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
AF 990, 1140/1150 all have a 6'3" lay-down length dinette and its good and wide too. Its the biggest I've found.

Also when I had my EC1160 I had found an air mattress that would work with the floor space. Never did end up buying it before I sold but it should have fit fine.

John & Christine wrote:
Our family of 4 are dipping our feet in the Truck Camper waters. Ideally we’d like at least a queen with 2 bunks that can hold a 6’ teenager. We’d also like a decent size dry bath. Primary use for this camper will be to sleep in while traveling to national parks. Hard sided is a must because we camp in grizzly country and some spots require hard sided campers.We are buying the truck camper before the truck so no worries there. Decent quality would be good. New or used is fine.

I’ve looked at the Eagle Cap 1165 and 1200... and the Lance 1172 I believe. Really nice but the bunks and dinettes are small.

We’re also not opposed to setting up 2 cots in the camper if needed....

Any suggestions?
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
The u-shaped dinette in our Northstar 12' STC is 72" x 37". We have redesigned the drop-in table to be wider. Theoretically, one could easily modify even more with a different insert or extension and gain quite a few more inches in width and allowing someone taller than 6' to sleep at an even greater angle.

The fold-down bunk on the Northstar is rated way higher than the standard bunks. Bill at TCW swore it would hold 300 lbs. It is very sturdy but cramped height wise. My 6' teen's feet dangle off the end if stretched out. What I like about the bunk is that adults can still sit underneath the bunk with plenty of clearance when there is a late sleeper above.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 12 and a 9 year old, even in the 1191 since they love to fight one sleeps on the floor and they switch places the next night. We are always converting the dinette into a bed and it works good, but still not great for grown adults, let alone two. I honestly don't know how big the rear tent option is since I have never seen one in person, I know they do have heat and air ducts to it and I think you can seal it up so it can be doable into late fall, not sure how well it would do during winter.

My other suggestion would be pull a teardrop camper behind the TC?
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomman58 wrote:
This would be listed as cruel and unusual punishment! LOL A TT makes a better deal and a far more enjoyable outing,

Of course, if we found TTs more enjoyable, we’d have them. As you implied, they are cheaper.

Sleeping is only one part of a trip.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP; there have been plenty of responses here telling you it is possible to sleep 4 in a TC.
As mentioned, we do sleep 4 + dog inside when we need to (ski camping, bear country), other times the boys bring a tent. No problems. It works. It’s camping.
No question the TC is the easiest, most flexible way to travel.

Go visit a few, takes note/pics, and find the one that works for your Family. Sit on the throne, pay attention to storage inside/out, galley, tank sizes etc

Good luck, safe travels Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson