Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Recommendation for a 2011 Tahoe Please

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I need to buy new tires for my Tahoe. I'd like to put LT tires on it as we are pulling a TT now.

Any recommendations on tires? I'm thinking about BF Goodrich AT's but am open to other suggestions.

Looking for a stiffer sidewall then what I have now which are Goodyear Wrangler something or other P rated squishy tires.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
16 REPLIES 16

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I think I figured out Some of my interstate handling issue.

Changing the oil tonight and of course doing my normal checks.

Funny thing, when I installed the transmission cooler 3 weeks ago this tire did not look like this.

I visually checked the suspension components and everything looked good, nothing is loose. Oh well, I suppose I’ll be getting those Cooper AT3’s a little earlier than planned.

Off to the shop tomorrow to get this sorted out.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Jeremiah....mine’s a K3500, big block 7.4L....

Tongue n cheek...cuz ordered it with the F60 option. IIRC $67 bucks for the snow plow prep option. Begets 1 ton front torsion bars and GMT400, 8.6K lb GVWR Suburbans have the same AAM rear axle as the 1 ton daully...even the same drum/shoe’s...except for the rear cylinders, which I’ve changed out (larger dia bore) and the MC (larger bore for the rear lines)

When you start looking, suggest checking the glove box door label for the F60 option, which begets the bigger drums and shoes

Good hearing from you
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
If you haven't read about Burbman's search for a dually...he is going to sell his big block 8.1L Suburban soon...

jerem0621 wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
We got 60K on our original Bridgestone tires so I replaced all four with the same OEM tires. Pricey but it'll last a lifetime.

Thank you!

I’m probably going to look for a 3/4 ton Suburban in the next few years. How much payload does yours have?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Yes I have! There are two legendary 3/4 ton Burbs out there. Yours and Burbmans! Ha ha! I have to save a bit to buy one.

Good hearing from you Ben!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't read about Burbman's search for a dually...he is going to sell his big block 8.1L Suburban soon...

jerem0621 wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
We got 60K on our original Bridgestone tires so I replaced all four with the same OEM tires. Pricey but it'll last a lifetime.

Thank you!

I’m probably going to look for a 3/4 ton Suburban in the next few years. How much payload does yours have?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:
I have Cooper AT/3 tires in my truck. They work really well.

BFG AT tires are rick magnets. The tread collects rocks.

They are probably the worst tires for holding onto rocks until terminal velocity, for sure.
AT3 Coopers are a great all around tire. Less aggressive than, say BFG AT's but still real good in snow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good call on the stiffer sidewalls. "D" or "E" rating in a Michelin.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I just figured out how to post pics here today! Yay!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Put a used set of BFG AT's on our Tahoe last winter. 275-55-20 D rated. Not because the family truckster needs LT tires, but they are stout tires. And pretty much any LT tire on a lightweight half ton will wear like iron.
Have put 15k mi or more on them and honestly they look about the same as when I bought em.

For your purposes, virtually any D or E load tire will be a great upgrade from factory style Squishelins!

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
I put Atturo Trail Blade XT's on my truck, really reasonably priced, high load range and so far, after about 25k miles, they're wearing pretty good. They do have a slight road noise, but nothing like a mud tire.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I had BFG ATs at one time. They look awesome, but are heavy and a little loud. I am happy with Michelin LTX M/S 2 for tire life, performance in rain/snow/dry. They just look humble.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I have Cooper AT/3 tires in my truck. They work really well.

BFG AT tires are rick magnets. The tread collects rocks.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

Thank you!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
Sorry for the multiple posts. The site had been glitchy saying “temporarily unavailable” each time and then all of a sudden they all went through.??

Thank you for the recommendation! I will look them up!

The RV.Net portal is just about worthless for me.

I’ve been using forums.goodsamclub.com with much greater success. The log in is the same as RV.net.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~