cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chipmunks

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get rid of chipmunk in your motor home. I have found one nest already. Got rid of it but still have them inside . HELP
47 REPLIES 47

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
K Charles wrote:
Squirrels will get rid of chipmunks, get a squirrel.

Then get a woodchucks to take care of the squirrels?

One year I took out 20+ squirrel's with a pellet gun. They had backups ready to go. As soon as I took one out a backup showed up.

I have a Red Shoulder Hawk couple that lives on the property and I am sure they help, but my numbers stay rather steady.

One of out our cats decapitated one one and used the head as a ball. Just depends on his mood at the time though, not reliable.

You GUYS have made my day, as things were a bit touch and go at the homestead here in Florida. I read both messages and I started rolling on the floor laughing so hard I was crying. You added a whole other meaning to the word "BACKUP" so funny thanks.

What do you think of using the SOUND alarm things? As they give off a high-pitched sound? That runs them off? I am going to setup a water bucket and then I'll just feed them to the snakes, and birds to eat. Thanks guys big help.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
We had mice and was told to place a few opened bars of Irish Spring soap (original) around inside our RV with the packages opened. We have Not had any mice since. This might work on chipmunks. I also put bars of Irish Spring soap around in my pole barn and shop area, and again no mice so far this winter.

Grampyjd
Sincerely,

grampyjd
jstouffer@stouffertech.com

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Cajun, they like squirrel stew.

JWF
Explorer
Explorer
City boy here. We donโ€™ t have any chipmunks but we have squirrels. The only time they chew our cable wires, although this doesnโ€™t happen very often. If I throw them nuts to keep them fed.
At campgrounds I only shoot a camera at the chipmunks while sipping on a beer. Thatโ€™s just my entertainment.
But this thread is one of most entertaining Iโ€™ve followed in a long time.
I guess weโ€™re all getting cabin fever.
MichJoe
Roseville, Mich

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
pcaffrey wrote:
Try the bucket "O" death. Five gallon bucket filled half way with water, cover water with a couple handful's of sunflower seeds. Give them a little ramp to go up, usually a trail of seeds. They dive in for the seeds not seeing the water and drown. This really works. I have caught many with this method.

This^^^^^.

We have our trailer in a campground situated in the middle of a state forest. One winter they made a mess and had nests in our kitchen drawers! We found their entrance holes and sealed them up with aluminum sheet metal. Have not had any more inside for the past several years (knock on wood!).

Squirrels are abundant and we got rid of most of them using the bucket method. Still put out the bucket once or twice a year and get some more. You will be amazed at how well this works! Seems we have fewer each year.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Here in the mountains of VA, anything with an engine that sits for any duration will inevitably see a host of critters taking up residency.

I've become a master at keeping rodents out of the trailer but all other equipment, it's a never ending battle.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
K Charles wrote:
Squirrels will get rid of chipmunks, get a squirrel.

Then get a woodchucks to take care of the squirrels?

Then get Bill Murray to get rid of the woodchucks?

Prolly easier to just kill the chipmunks. Will they not go to a trap with peanut butter on it or similar?

Bill Murray has reached official geezer status, his gopher safari days are long behind him. He's probably posting under an incognito moniker on these boards such as Carl Spackler or Sandy McFiddish. I'd find a Honey Badger.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Last squirrels I shot matny moons ago, The kids ate everyone of them before I could clean up the knife etc outside. Wife fixed them in BBQ sauce.I asked the kids awhile back why they didn't save me any.Said Mom said it was Venison?
Got plenty around here but mostly young. What happens to the adults I don't know.
Maybe coyotes have learned to climb big straight trees or our resident Bobcat.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a prairie dog problem Instead. Bubble gum is supposed to work but it doesn't. Strychnine bait doesn't do it either. I drill my .22 hollow points a little deeper and put steel wire in the tips and that sure does it!
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diamond c wrote:
You should have a well stocked freezer by now. Iโ€™m jealous, squirrel gravy and squirrel stew makings right at your fingertips.

Squirrel and dumplings is our favorite. However, you have to add chicken broth because they are so lean there is no broth otherwise. Squirrel pot pie is good too. When we get 3 to 4 squirrels, we have enough for a very good meal.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We have a little trap that I bait with peanut butter on a cracker. I have trapped a dozen or so and relocated them at least three miles away. My wife won't let me kill them.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
A cat, if it can get to them Doubt it can climb inside the walls though.
i know the black racer idea makes women and feller cringe but if you can get a young one they train rather easily. They are intelligent and they love rodents.Releasing a grown one in an RV will do the job over a few days, perhaps.
Then you gotta catch the snake. They will bit but have no teeth just a hard sharp mouth edge.I've been bit more than once by different wild snakes. usually get control of them first though. Look at it this way you can't have a snake story unless you catch one or one bites you.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
You should have a well stocked freezer by now. Iโ€™m jealous, squirrel gravy and squirrel stew makings right at your fingertips.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we bought our current house 11 years ago, squirrels had been living in the attic for YEARS. I finally bought a very high quality pellet rifle. (I wanted accuracy.) I am up to over 500 squirrels now. No squirrels in the attic for years now. (I am now down to less than $1 per squirrel.) But, I still have squirrels in the yard. You will never eliminate them.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB