Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Chipmunks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Chipmunks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Have to do what you have to do to protect your RV but I like Chipmunks.
Sit down mid day miles form any roads deer hunting nod off for a while. Snoring mus annoy them. They and red squirrels and grays too would trow nuts and anything else down on me. Yep Chipmunks can climb apparently. They would run up my legs while sitting there. Fed them bits of my sandwiches or oatmeal cookies. The deer liked them too. Saw lot of deer but it got to where it was more vising them than hunting them. Last time was now many years a go on Little Mountain a part of Carer Mountain.
Cousin has them in her flower boxes and beds and they are on her porch all the time. Get older I suppose you tolerate the animals they tolerate you. They know an easy touch with a sandwich or cookie when them,Gets out of hand when the humming birds want to drink from your cup too. One way to lose weight, share with them, I suppose.

Cool Story

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The water bucket, ramp and sunflower seeds method works fantastic. A few years ago our yard was over run with chipmunks, we live in the woods. In 2 months time it took care of 70 of them

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 03:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

Squirrels will get rid of chipmunks, get a squirrel.

Nor where I live.
We have two bird feeders hanging off our front porch and day after day I have watched chipmonks and squirrles feeding together on the gleanings on the ground that the birds kick out.

Guy

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

K Charles wrote:

Squirrels will get rid of chipmunks, get a squirrel.

Then get a woodchucks to take care of the squirrels?

One year I took out 20+ squirrel's with a pellet gun. They had backups ready to go. As soon as I took one out a backup showed up.

I have a Red Shoulder Hawk couple that lives on the property and I am sure they help, but my numbers stay rather steady.

One of out our cats decapitated one one and used the head as a ball. Just depends on his mood at the time though, not reliable.

Ridgeway, SC

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our current house 11 years ago, squirrels had been living in the attic for YEARS. I finally bought a very high quality pellet rifle. (I wanted accuracy.) I am up to over 500 squirrels now. No squirrels in the attic for years now. (I am now down to less than $1 per squirrel.) But, I still have squirrels in the yard. You will never eliminate them.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have a well stocked freezer by now. I’m jealous, squirrel gravy and squirrel stew makings right at your fingertips.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A cat, if it can get to them Doubt it can climb inside the walls though.
i know the black racer idea makes women and feller cringe but if you can get a young one they train rather easily. They are intelligent and they love rodents.Releasing a grown one in an RV will do the job over a few days, perhaps.
Then you gotta catch the snake. They will bit but have no teeth just a hard sharp mouth edge.I've been bit more than once by different wild snakes. usually get control of them first though. Look at it this way you can't have a snake story unless you catch one or one bites you.

rbtglove

Beavercreek OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a little trap that I bait with peanut butter on a cracker. I have trapped a dozen or so and relocated them at least three miles away. My wife won't let me kill them.

Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diamond c wrote:

You should have a well stocked freezer by now. I’m jealous, squirrel gravy and squirrel stew makings right at your fingertips.

Squirrel and dumplings is our favorite. However, you have to add chicken broth because they are so lean there is no broth otherwise. Squirrel pot pie is good too. When we get 3 to 4 squirrels, we have enough for a very good meal.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a prairie dog problem Instead. Bubble gum is supposed to work but it doesn't. Strychnine bait doesn't do it either. I drill my .22 hollow points a little deeper and put steel wire in the tips and that sure does it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Chipmunks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.