Thanks in advance?
Mike, Dawn & Mallori
2016 Hemisphere 368RLBH
2012 Chevy 2500 HD D/A 3.73
4 REPLIES 4

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Before I purchased any of that stuff I would see if it's actually needed after you are there for awhile and see if you like it. I've had a seasonal for 14 years and water quality and voltage is good. Agree with hard piping the sewer.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Progressive Industries surge protector that will cut power for either low or high power. We are full-time and it has cut power a couple of times when we had no idea there was a problem, and it wasn't someplace we had just hooked up at either. For sewer, hubby has a hinged piece of white gutter that he can take apart at the joint (easily) for a 4' section, or open up for an 8' section. The sewer hose lays in that and is at a nice angle to the drain. It also protects the hose from those guys with the weed whips.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Being on the cautious side I use an autoformer with surge protection. Protects from both low voltage and spikes. I suppose that "newer" RV parks or sections of RV parks are "safer" but I never wanted to test that theory.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
The first year we rented a seasonal site, we asked some of our fellow campers the same question, for #1. Only one other seasonal camper was using surge protection and that was because they had been using the 5th wheel full time before settling down in the seasonal site. We did not bother with it. Our campground is very well maintained and where we are the sites are newer than the rest of the campground. If we were in one of the older sections, we'd probably have surge protection.

#2, using PVC instead of the stinky slinky is definitely the way to go if you plan to leave the RV there long term. Our site could get windy and before we switched, the stinky slinky would sometimes get pushed off it's stand and I always worried about the lawn guys hitting it with the string trimmer and putting a hole in it.

I would talk to your neighbors about #3 as well. The water at our seasonal site is well water. The wells are tested monthly. About 1/3 of the campers don't use any water filter, most use the Camco blue inline filter and that's also what we use. We use 2 through the course of the 5 month season - a new one when we got there and then a new one sometime around late June, usually around the start of summer.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)