cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator for Rving, any recommendation please?

Keyholder
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am planning to get a portable generator for camping, but not sure which one to get. I want a quiet one so that I can still enjoy nature whilst keeping our food and drink cold and powering our creature comforts. Yes, it is a bit glamping but that is the way we like it. I read here: Best Quiet Portable Generator for RV, Camping that the WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator is quiet and good, and that the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 is also quiet and good. Anyone here more of a glamper and take a generator with them camping or Rving or something like that and can provide me some first-hand experience of how quiet these generators actually are.
20 REPLIES 20

Luthierra
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for the best floor jack recommendations, then you should not go anywhere. This page will be a great help and will serve as a guide.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
We're not sure what the OP wants. Most people do not run a/c with a portable generator.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Why is the standard response from newbies and very oldsters always โ€œgenerators?โ€

Probably because most of us want an easy enjoyable experience. Most of us do not want an engineering project,most of us want to enjoy traveling and camping without a bunch of extra equipment. Most of us require air conditioning at times. Find me a solar battery array that will run a 13k btu conditioner for 8 to 10 hours, for less than a thousand bucks.

All that being said, generator noise sucks. Even my Honda 2000 idling away is intrusive.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Why is the standard response from newbies and very oldsters always โ€œgenerators?โ€ .
Generators are easy to understand. Solar, inverters.. not so much.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
As would I, old-wizard, particularly if camped near OP. Why is the standard response from newbies and very oldsters always โ€œgenerators?โ€ Buggy whips are also outdated.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Keyholder wrote:
Anyone here more of a glamper and take a generator with them camping or Rving or something like that and can provide me some first-hand experience of how quiet these generators actually are.

I would say most people here like most of the comforts of home, even when boondocking. Having said that, I would prefer to use a generator the fewest hours per day. Solar, batteries and an inverter large enough to run a refrigerator would probably cost as much or more than most 2000W generators, but I would rather have the peace and quiet.

A pair of golf cart batteries and an inverter would easily run a refrigerator overnight (assuming you don't open the door).

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
That clicky is the same generator we've been using going on 5 years and just over 500 hours thus far. After 8 years with our Onan and over 1K hours we wanted something that had the same one button starting/stopping capabilities and that could power our rig's AC unit.

This Champion inverter has been problem free, works well at high elevations, less noisy and wonderfully fuel efficient by comparison. That link is a great price for all that genny offers, we use regular ethanol laced gas but add a bit of Seafoam to 5 gallon gas can.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
Honda & Yamaha are high quality but when you hear people talking about 10-15yr old generators, keep in mind, at that point, they were the only game in town for small inverter generators...so it's not really comparable to say the newer brands don't have comparable comments about old generators still kicking around.

But what is comparable, that a lot of you havenโ€™t seen, is how Hondaโ€™s and Yamis hold up in hard use vs the 2nd or 3rd tier brands.
Not saying itโ€™s necessary to get top of the line, but you get what you pay for.
Never been around the specific champion gensets people speak so highly of, But if buying an economical generator thatโ€™s what Iโ€™d buy.
MANY others call them 3rd tier are basically worthless.
Plus itโ€™s just too easy to buy a gently used Honda for the same as a champion or slightly more than a junk model.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B00JZQUSAC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=ANK7T5T29N0Z&dchild=1&keywords=champion+generator&qid=1589818735&sprefix=champion+generator%2Caps%2C240&sr=8-6

This will cover all your needs.

Here ya go made it a CLICKY
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B00JZQUSAC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=ANK7T5T29N0Z&dchild=1&keywords=champion+generator&qid=1589818735&sprefix=champion+generator%2Caps%2C240&sr=8-6

This will cover all your needs.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your propane fridge will keep the food cold just fine for a few days on battery and propane.
Have you camped off grid for a night or two as is?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
" I want a quiet one so that I can still enjoy nature whilst keeping our food and drink cold and powering our creature comforts."

You don't need a generator to keep food and drink cold, and the most quiet "generator" is a solar system (panels, controller and batteries)......with ZERO noise. Like bgum, I'm happy with my Westinghouse but it doesn't get used very much....A/C only. You can buy two good inverters for the price of one Honda. (and avoid any recalls LOL)
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Honda & Yamaha are high quality but when you hear people talking about 10-15yr old generators, keep in mind, at that point, they were the only game in town for small inverter generators...so it's not really comparable to say the newer brands don't have comparable comments about old generators still kicking around.

We have a Yamaha 2400. It does run the air/con but it struggles at times. I would want 2800-3000w unit at a minimum if we were buying again.

You can buy a pair of 2000w units and hook them together to get 4000w. That's easier for moving around but you pay higher overall price for 2 units and more ongoing maintenance.

While Honda/Yamaha are good, the newer brands are often 30-50% lower price and most have good reviews, so when we replace the Yahama, it will likely be a champion or other 2nd tier brand.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV