cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F550 Auxillary Fuel Tank

pokytwa
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up a 2017 Adventurer Quad 4 Super C about 6 months ago. After driving 1100 miles on Saturday to reposition from south to north, I can’t help but feel that this rig would benefit from expanding on the 40 gallon fuel capacity. Has anyone added auxillary fuel tanks to their Super C? Any brand recommendations?
10 REPLIES 10

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
After 250 miles a stop to fuel and stretch is usually a good thing

You're not kidding, lost a friend that way as he drove his recurring 12 hours trips to his camp. DVT

https://mvsdoctors.com/deep-vein-thrombosis/professional-drivers-and-dvt-what-you-need-to-know-in-20...

Sorry to hear that. I always park as far away as I can from the men's room even when driving other vehicles, when arriving at rest areas. i spend a few minutes and walk around, read the information boards. Traveling is an adventure not a race.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
After 250 miles a stop to fuel and stretch is usually a good thing

You're not kidding, lost a friend that way as he drove his recurring 12 hours trips to his camp. DVT

https://mvsdoctors.com/deep-vein-thrombosis/professional-drivers-and-dvt-what-you-need-to-know-in-20...

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
After 250 miles a stop to fuel and stretch is usually a good thing. Ican see where a larger tank though offers more options especially if you get off the beaten path. I personally would like options.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
pokytwa wrote:
bobndot wrote:
I thought they had a 40 and a 28 = 68 gals .

I think there is a F550 4x4 with a crew cab in a super C , maybe that model has the smaller single tank ?

That’s the one we have - the crew cab was a huge point for strapping in kiddos. It’s got a 40 gal tank. Since these were built for rentals for the Canadian outfit that build them didn’t exactly option them out fully. That’s ok for us, it’s really all about the crew cab + diesel + 4WD.

Maybe Transfer Flow would carry a replacement tank in a larger size.
https://www.transferflow.com/shop

pokytwa
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:

I think there is a F550 4x4 with a crew cab in a super C , maybe that model has the smaller single tank ?

That’s the one we have - the crew cab was a huge point for strapping in kiddos. It’s got a 40 gal tank. Since these were built for rentals for the Canadian outfit that build them didn’t exactly option them out fully. That’s ok for us, it’s really all about the crew cab + diesel + 4WD.

pokytwa
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
As I recall, that's under 30' and a quad cab. Not much room for another tank. Also, it's not really designed to be a long-distance RV. It's a small 4x4 made for off-road camping. Calling it a super C is really pushing it. 40 gallons is about right for what it was designed to be, IMHO.

I dunno man, seems like everyone selling new F550 based motor homes are calling them “Super C’s”. What am I missing?

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/motorhomes/super-c-diesel-motorhomes/“A Super C is a diesel Class C motorhome built on a heavy duty Ford® F-550 chassis. An attached cab and an overhead bunk is usually part of the RV's design. It offers many of the amenities of a Class A RV, and is more powerful than standard Class C motorhomes.“

I’ll also disagree on the “not for long distance” aspect, I’m doing more miles in this thing with the family more comfortably than we ever did in our class A’s, gas or diesel. For my family of 5 this rig hits the sweet spot. Enough towing and CCC to take all the toys, small enough to use for skiing day trips. We’ve been using this as our roaming home, office and adventure-mobile since leaving Seattle in March and I for one do not feel like I’m missing anything from a larger camper.

There’s plenty of space underneath for a spare tank, going to continue to research it. Seems like the diesel really opens up expansion possibilities and having plenty of CCC makes it entirely possible.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall, that's under 30' and a quad cab. Not much room for another tank. Also, it's not really designed to be a long-distance RV. It's a small 4x4 made for off-road camping. Calling it a super C is really pushing it. 40 gallons is about right for what it was designed to be, IMHO.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
A super C with only a 40 gal fuel tank ?

ronfisherman
Most of the Chevy Super C’s came a 80 gallon tank. It was mounted behind rear axle.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD