Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: F550 Auxillary Fuel Tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Super C

 > F550 Auxillary Fuel Tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
pokytwa

United States

New Member

Joined: 06/14/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/18/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up a 2017 Adventurer Quad 4 Super C about 6 months ago. After driving 1100 miles on Saturday to reposition from south to north, I can’t help but feel that this rig would benefit from expanding on the 40 gallon fuel capacity. Has anyone added auxillary fuel tanks to their Super C? Any brand recommendations?

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

Moderator

Joined: 06/05/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/18/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the Chevy Super C’s came a 80 gallon tank. It was mounted behind rear axle.


2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Super C Group Forum



bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/18/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A super C with only a 40 gal fuel tank ?

Seattle Steve

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 09/18/2010

View Profile



Posted: 05/18/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I recall, that's under 30' and a quad cab. Not much room for another tank. Also, it's not really designed to be a long-distance RV. It's a small 4x4 made for off-road camping. Calling it a super C is really pushing it. 40 gallons is about right for what it was designed to be, IMHO.

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/18/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought they had a 40 and a 28 = 68 gals .

I think there is a F550 4x4 with a crew cab in a super C , maybe that model has the smaller single tank ?

pokytwa

United States

New Member

Joined: 06/14/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/18/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

As I recall, that's under 30' and a quad cab. Not much room for another tank. Also, it's not really designed to be a long-distance RV. It's a small 4x4 made for off-road camping. Calling it a super C is really pushing it. 40 gallons is about right for what it was designed to be, IMHO.


I dunno man, seems like everyone selling new F550 based motor homes are calling them “Super C’s”. What am I missing?

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/motorhomes/super-c-diesel-motorhomes/“A Super C is a diesel Class C motorhome built on a heavy duty Ford® F-550 chassis. An attached cab and an overhead bunk is usually part of the RV's design. It offers many of the amenities of a Class A RV, and is more powerful than standard Class C motorhomes.“

I’ll also disagree on the “not for long distance” aspect, I’m doing more miles in this thing with the family more comfortably than we ever did in our class A’s, gas or diesel. For my family of 5 this rig hits the sweet spot. Enough towing and CCC to take all the toys, small enough to use for skiing day trips. We’ve been using this as our roaming home, office and adventure-mobile since leaving Seattle in March and I for one do not feel like I’m missing anything from a larger camper.

There’s plenty of space underneath for a spare tank, going to continue to research it. Seems like the diesel really opens up expansion possibilities and having plenty of CCC makes it entirely possible.

pokytwa

United States

New Member

Joined: 06/14/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/18/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

I thought they had a 40 and a 28 = 68 gals .

I think there is a F550 4x4 with a crew cab in a super C , maybe that model has the smaller single tank ?


That’s the one we have - the crew cab was a huge point for strapping in kiddos. It’s got a 40 gal tank. Since these were built for rentals for the Canadian outfit that build them didn’t exactly option them out fully. That’s ok for us, it’s really all about the crew cab + diesel + 4WD.

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/18/20 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pokytwa wrote:

bobndot wrote:

I thought they had a 40 and a 28 = 68 gals .

I think there is a F550 4x4 with a crew cab in a super C , maybe that model has the smaller single tank ?


That’s the one we have - the crew cab was a huge point for strapping in kiddos. It’s got a 40 gal tank. Since these were built for rentals for the Canadian outfit that build them didn’t exactly option them out fully. That’s ok for us, it’s really all about the crew cab + diesel + 4WD.


Maybe Transfer Flow would carry a replacement tank in a larger size.
https://www.transferflow.com/shop

klutchdust

Orange, California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 05/27/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 250 miles a stop to fuel and stretch is usually a good thing. Ican see where a larger tank though offers more options especially if you get off the beaten path. I personally would like options.

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/27/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

After 250 miles a stop to fuel and stretch is usually a good thing


You're not kidding, lost a friend that way as he drove his recurring 12 hours trips to his camp. DVT

https://mvsdoctors.com/deep-vein-thrombo........rs-and-dvt-what-you-need-to-know-in-2017

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Super C

 > F550 Auxillary Fuel Tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.