Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Looking into a Truck Camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Looking into a Truck Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also the Bigfoot 3000 model which is the only model I am aware of that had a slide was a conventional wood framed camper and susceptible to delamination just like any other std truck camper that isn't maintained properly. I have never seen a Bigfoot of Northern Lite clamshell fiberglass camper with a slide. I feel pretty certain that doesn't exist.

Bigfoot hinted about a slide a year or two ago in an interview but nothing tangible since.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Geo*Boy

Burlington

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

geo11RT wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

geo11RT wrote:

I find that hard to believe. 60 years of TCs with many makers and models and not one? I will wait for others to chime in.

I am not sure why that seems hard to believe. A truck camper must fit in the relatively small bed of a pickup truck. Trying to sleep or even fit 5 people in that space would require a beast of a truck camper with large slides.

If you re-read what I want, you will see that this is very feasible, it is not an absolute. Just making a blanket statement like the other Jim said is um, silly (to be nice). As you can see, there are numerous other people that have posted ideas and models and have made it work. And provided insight to other materials that would prevent delam. It boils down to if you can think outside the box or take things literally Jim.

Additionally, I know Northern did make a slide with their molded fiberglass shell.

You are incorrect about Northern Lite making a molded camper with a slide. Bigfoot made a slide out TC but it wasn’t molded fiberglass. It was a framed camper with filon siding.

geo11RT

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

geo11RT wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

geo11RT wrote:

I find that hard to believe. 60 years of TCs with many makers and models and not one? I will wait for others to chime in.

I am not sure why that seems hard to believe. A truck camper must fit in the relatively small bed of a pickup truck. Trying to sleep or even fit 5 people in that space would require a beast of a truck camper with large slides.

If you re-read what I want, you will see that this is very feasible, it is not an absolute. Just making a blanket statement like the other Jim said is um, silly (to be nice). As you can see, there are numerous other people that have posted ideas and models and have made it work. And provided insight to other materials that would prevent delam. It boils down to if you can think outside the box or take things literally Jim.

Additionally, I know Northern did make a slide with their molded fiberglass shell.

You are incorrect about Northern Lite making a molded camper with a slide. Bigfoot made a slide out TC but it wasn’t molded fiberglass. It was a framed camper with filon siding.

Yup, that was already said twice now, including the post above yours. I never claimed to be an expert, that's what I am asking questions.

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

geo11RT wrote:

1- no laminate/gel coated sides. I do not want to deal with delam.
2- this means it has to be made of either molded fiberglass or aluminum

You should be more worried about what the frame is made of. A beautiful looking TC can have a tiny leak and rot the frame. But not if it's an aluminum frame.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

geo11RT

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thinking was if there is no delam, that means no water/leaking. I suppose there could be a small one that goes unnoticed until too late. I will add this to my list as well.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on your budget and needs, honestly I wouldn't be too fixated on an aluminum frame being requisite. Bonus? Yes.
Was one of my "must haves" on our first camper. Got it, no issues.
Next and current camper (sold the first one in AK before we moved back down here for good $$) is the same model but a few years older and wood frame. That was 5 years ago and I have yet to notice a difference, but it was considerably cheaper than the first one.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kudos to those of you who pack an entire family into a truck camper.

I'm single and mines perfect for me.

However, I would consider making room for a cute younger redhead. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

geo11RT wrote:

My thinking was if there is no delam, that means no water/leaking. I suppose there could be a small one that goes unnoticed until too late. I will add this to my list as well.

Yeah even with an aluminum frame I'm still paranoid about hidden rot in our TC. There are a lot of horror stories about having a beautiful TC only to have it fail spectacularly because of hidden rot. My next TC will have nothing that can rot, if I can find one.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If Lance is on the table I'll plug my 1131 again. A queen over the cab, dinette bed, single bunk over the dinette, and a flip out tent in the back we have yet to use. The easier to find 1191 could be had with or without the tent with an otherwise identical floor plan. Single slide unit and 100% functional with the slide in. I use a Torklift superhitch and 48" extension to pull my enclosed car hauler behind it, so you'll have no tongue weight issues with your proposed setup, but I wonder about braking since the vehicle in tow can't help there if it's on all fours.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe all tow vehicles exceeding a certain weigh are required to have a braking systems in place. These range from vacuum, surge or electric among others. In addition, there is usually a break away cable that engages the tow vehicle brakes if it should separate while being towed.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Looking into a Truck Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.