cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

help with electrical question

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50 amp post at my house that I plug my RV into ... My neighbor is allowing a mutual friend to "store" hid RV there for about 2 months, or until his driveway expansion is completed.

My neighbor has no outlets close to the rear of his house....

Is there such a thing as - -
50amp male to 50 amp AND 15 amp both female ? This way he can plug in and run his fridge before a trip using a HD extension cord, and I can continue to plug in by using my 50 amp plug...

I do not need 50 amp, if using it here, I only run 1 AC and my residential fridge .. nothing else..
14 REPLIES 14

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
houstonstroker wrote:
How about a 50 amp adaptor that splits the feed into two 30 amp outlets. That way each coach can use up to 30 amps which is plenty and no way to overload.
As long as both RVs are 30 amp then yes.

If you use an adapter to then connect a 50 amp RV the dogbone adapter becomes a fuse.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tell the friend of a friend that he is welcome to plug into a 15 amp outlet on your friend's house, which means no AC or microwave. If HE wants to bring a splitter of some kind to split the 50 amp power, let HIM provide it. Be sure he is aware that he can't unplug your RV from the 50 amp outlet for longer than it takes to plug in said adapter.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Aka the breeze wrote:
I have a 50 amp post at my house that I plug my RV into ... My neighbor is allowing a mutual friend to "store" hid RV there for about 2 months, or until his driveway expansion is completed.

I do not need 50 amp, if using it here, I only run 1 AC and my residential fridge .. nothing else..

If he's truly only storing the RV and it's only for two months then a 14g extension cord will be fine. No the AC will not work, but should it? I tend to go above and beyond for people. But do you really want to spend the time and money of a double 50 amp adapter for a friend of a neighbor so he can run the AC once, maybe twice in the next two months?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
How about a 50 amp adaptor that splits the feed into two 30 amp outlets. That way each coach can use up to 30 amps which is plenty and no way to overload.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Aka the breeze wrote:
I agree with the 2 above... just gonna have him use my outlet on the RV....
Thanks to all for the advise . .
That is good for battery, lights, furnace, tv, charge small items.

Tell him to run the fridge and water on propane. No air, no microwave.

Fridge on electric should be okay; it's about a 300W element, not an especially heavy current, at least not when compared with a microwave or air conditioner or water heater. (That's for an RV absorption fridge; of course with a residential fridge electric is the only option.)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aka the breeze wrote:
That is good for battery, lights, furnace, tv, charge small items.

Tell him to run the fridge and water on propane. No air, no microwave.

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
If you do it like you asked you need to add fuse/breaker from the 50 amp to 15 amp.
By having the friend plug into your RV then that is taken care of in your panel.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ndrorder wrote:
Sure. The neighbor's friend just plugs into an outlet on your RV.

Probably the simplest and most foolproof as long as he isn't using any heavy draw items.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
This will split into 2 50s, then you can adapt your way down.

Thank You.... I did see that and was not sure if anything else existed ...

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:

Thats one option.... and already thought about that..

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
This will split into 2 50s, then you can adapt your way down.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer