cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airbags?

Rye_a
Explorer
Explorer
I’d like to add airbags to my rear suspension on my Ram 2500 diesel to level my truck when I’m towing, but don’t really feel I need to be able to control them from the cab and don’t want to go through an expensive and involved installation of a full system with a permanent compressor. Any recommendations for airbags that can be inflated with an external compressor?
20 REPLIES 20

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are T'd together and Schrader valve is under the bumper. Run them at 15 psi when empty and 60 when towing. I inflate/deflate them at the same time I do the rear tires.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Firestone bags on my 2001 Cummins dually with a 3000 lb. pin weight and have the manual schraeder valves for each side. I put in about 50 psi for traveling and let it out when not towing. I carry a lightweight 5 gallon aluminum air bubble, and it works great for adding air to the bags. Fill it to 120 psi and it's good for 4-5 fills.

Never really felt the need for the cost and complexity of the onboard compressor.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rye_a wrote:
I’d like to add airbags to my rear suspension on my Ram 2500 diesel to level my truck when I’m towing, but don’t really feel I need to be able to control them from the cab and don’t want to go through an expensive and involved installation of a full system with a permanent compressor. Any recommendations for airbags that can be inflated with an external compressor?

Got to ask what year is your Ram 2500 and what are you towing that you need bags?
My old 2001’Ram 2500 carried 2,700# of pin from a 5er and didn’t need bags.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The Laws of physic's is not an Urban Legend...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Val, I agree if you are altering tire pressure constantly. But my off-roading is very light duty.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lwiddis wrote:
Since I always carry a bicycle pump and onboard air pumps are the weakest part of an air bag system...plus I saved some money.

I can see having onboard if you offroad and you air big balloon tires up and down multiple times in a day.

Airbags simply don't hold much air and are well within the pressure capability of a bike pump.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Since I always carry a bicycle pump and onboard air pumps are the weakest part of an air bag system...plus I saved some money.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dave H M wrote:
last set of firestones I installed came with a "T" for plumbing both bags into one air up fitting which i installed adjacent to the rear license plate.

I see no need to have them filled separately and don't subscribe to that urban legend of the air transferring from one side to the other when cornering.

Two decades, two F250's, nary a problem.

Like said above, your application may not "need" bags plumbed separately, but there's nothing to subscribe to. It happens and it reduces stability if that is one's condition for adding airbags.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
last set of firestones I installed came with a "T" for plumbing both bags into one air up fitting which i installed adjacent to the rear license plate.

I see no need to have them filled separately and don't subscribe to that urban legend of the air transferring from one side to the other when cornering.

I believe that the air transferring is real but whether that is good or bad depends on the application. If you have a high CG load like a fifth wheel camper or slide-in and need stability you don't want the air moving. Likewise if you need to level the truck side to side, like if you parked on of those rigs on a side slope and need to level the truck.

On the other hand, if you don't need lateral stability having them separate will make your ride rougher, increase lateral pitching on bumps and can cause traction issues on uneven ground.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Firestones for me. Manual fill separate lines. I ran mine to the storage space under the back seat. I lift the seat and platform, take the caps off and fill or remove air twice a year. 22 lbs for summer and hauling the 5th wheel. 5 lbs for winter.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

my last 3 trucks all had the Airlift 5000 with the Schrader valves locked on the RV light plug and only 1 issue.. that issue was self caused and I fixed the problem..

I was looking for bags for my new truck and Airlift has not named a fitment yet so I went to Firestone Riderite with the built in compressor...

I have not towed with it yet so I cannot comment on the ease, but I am sure I will love it.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I felt the same way. I was wrong.
Someone talked me into an onboard compressor. I thank them every time I see them.

The used truck I bought from a dealer had them external tied together and uses one air valve. This last month while towing I developed a leak somewhere in the system. Try finding a station the is convenient with working air to add to your load as you travel towing. It's inconvenient and I agree with you that an onboard unit would have made that much easier.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for firestones. The same set has been on my vehicle for the past 16 years with no issues. Like the previous poster I put the fillers next to the license plate. Use the air pump on my battery jump box to fill them. It doesnt take much air.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends