cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ladder

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
How you protect the the ladder on the rack to don't get stolen?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
buc1980 wrote:
How you protect the the ladder on the rack to don't get stolen?

Well for several years it was a whole lot of work to get it off AFTER you unlocked the bicycle lock. But now its just the cable lock.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Humm,, I am just weekend camper with a short Travel Trailer and I stay close to home. Why are you all carrying ladders anyway ?

Many of us spend several months in our trailers. We, for instance, spend about 6 months in the Texas Hill Country each year. It's not unusual for me to have to access a part of the trailer that I can't get to using the ladder attached to the trailer; such as doing repair work on the scare lights or the gutter extensions. Plus, I'm well north of 250# and I don't trust the trailer ladder completely. Hope this helps
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
Don't carry a ladder. Somebody nearby has one.

Humm,, I am just weekend camper with a short Travel Trailer and I stay close to home. Why are you all carrying ladders anyway ?

You probably have one built in that allows you to acces the roof. If you need one for some other reason is there a way to do that thing in a another way that doesn't require a ladder ? Seems to me that standing on a ladder on uneven ground at a campsite is a recipe for disaster anyway.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our ladder extension will not fit or hang on the installed part of the ladder.
There are four clips in the bays for it above the trays. Doesn't work worth a darn.
It would be an ordeal to get it out if needed. I could hang it off the ladder but it would stick out a bit and cause problems and damage both of them. We have seen many that fit snug against the installed portion though. Looks like it would take some thought to protect them from banging together. If it will fit perhaps two long shackle bike locks with durable rubber, urethane preferred, hose over the shackles.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't carry a ladder. Somebody nearby has one.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Nobody steals ladders.

Likely true.. but like some others suggested I use a cable lock like I use for my bicycle.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
My preferred solution is to have the ladder permanently bolted to the RV. That's probably not too helpful of an idea for the original poster, I'll admit.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Nobody steals ladders.

I tend to agree with this. We had a folding aluminum step ladder strapped to the RV ladder for our first 4-1/2 years of full-timing. Never had an issue. I now have a different type of ladder and it fits in the basement... don't have to take it off the RV ladder to climb up topside.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Nobody steals ladders.

Agree. A simple unlocked strap may be enough. No thief will spend more than a few seconds on taking a ladder. He'll see it strapped down and not bother with the effort.

There are locks that cannot be cut with an angle grinder (or at least very difficult and time consuming) but they cost more than the ladder is worth.

Our ladder collapses lengthwise into the dimensions of a 4x4. It slides into a space under the rear bumper, and held in place with straps.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't care what you use, you can't stop someone that wants what you have. Any cable lock, u-shaped lock. or lock shield can be removed in under 20 seconds with a battery operated angle grinder with a cutting wheel attached. I have removed all of the above for people that have lost the key, forgotten the combination, or had a seized lock due to rust. I even did one at a crowded parking lot and nobody took a second look at me to see if I was stealing something. Security never even showed up. The best you can so is slow down a thief of convenience.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
We have the type that collapses down...it goes into the hatch.

But yeah, your average folding ladder isn't a huge theft item.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away from places that it might get stolen.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber covered chain and a padlock.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody steals ladders.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman