Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Shore power plug conversion?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Shore power plug conversion?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
lagreca

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess what I could do is very similar to what my motorhome had...

Just hardwire a cable to the trailer at a junction box, and run it into the nearest compartment with a male 30 AMP plug on the end of the wire.

Then I could plug that into my Hughes Surge Protector.

Then replace the end of my current shore power cable with a 30 AMP female receptacle

I guess the last piece of the puzzle is how to have a slot in my compartment door to accommodate the cable being draped out......I guess I could just let the door rest on the cable. But was wondering if it would be worth it to install some sort of cable slot in the door?

Rich1961

Colfax Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Rich1961 wrote:

This is a good read comparing the twist lock to the Smart Plug.
https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-cords-smartplug-vs-1938/

I was on our previous communities harbor committee for 11 or 12 years, and when Smart Plug was first coming to the market they did a presentation for the marina and our committee. It is a great product. During that period we had three or four fires, with one being a major fire. I headed up booming the scene as soon fire was out, which keep the Coast Guard from nationalizing the cleanup, saving the marina and boat owns from really large bills. I got our harbor master to wake the docks with a infrared heat gun looking for over heated shore power connections. I also get him a current clamp meter. If you clamp around the whole marine cable and get a amp reading, then current is returning via the water and not the neutral in the cable, equals hot harbor. Which is not good.

Funny you mention the Marina fires. On the website I provided the link to he talks about the fires he's seen. Also goes into detail about the many issues he's found with the shore plugs and the "hot" harbors.

2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

There is a reason the twist lock is required in marine equipment, it's solid & water proof.

More boats and marina fires have been caused by those old 30AMP twist locked than any other reason.

And it was the twist lock? The marina owner checks regular for home extension cords and I doubt a boat builders going to miss wire.
[image]rds.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

And it was the twist lock? The marina owner checks regular for home extension cords and I doubt a boat builders going to miss wire.

Hot harbors can be caused by any electrical device on a boat that is having a wiring issue and leaking current.

Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 335HP and 380 Lb Ft - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome. Retired and enjoying it!

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Hot harbors can be caused by any electrical device on a boat that is having a wiring issue and leaking current.

I'm no electrician, how does a bad appliance in my boat go to the harbor in a fiberglass boat? The 110V is separate from the 12V which I could see going through an outdrive, but 110. Seems it would be an issue with the dock wiring, the twist lock ground should send stray voltage to ground & bad enough a breaker should trip. Something else I should watch for??

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll see if this is real. Tracking via USPS says my order has shipped.

30 amp Smartplug 25' cordset for $12.95 (free shipping) through Walmart (methinks it should have been $129.50, off a decimal point).

[image]

Notice: Links to cord have been removed as the company is not shipping what was advertised.
Barney

* This post was last edited 01/10/21 09:48am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

KMLsquared

Cotati CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought one too! For that price I'll cut the ends off and put my own on!

* This post was edited 01/10/21 09:50am by an administrator/moderator *

2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPRey wrote:

We'll see if this is real. Tracking via USPS says my order has shipped.

30 amp Smartplug 25' cordset for $12.95 (free shipping) through Walmart (methinks it should have been $129.50, off a decimal point).

[image]

You do know that is a 30 amp twist lock on the male end not a NEMA 30-TT

The SmartPlug 30 Amp Dual Configuration Cordset connects to the SmartPlug 30 Amp Boatside Inlet (BM30S) on the boatside and a typical 30 Amp twist-type outlet on the dockside.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont know why but i just bought one too!!! My trailer is 50a!! Felt like it would be silly to pass up. Change it over to 120v style plug must likely.

My trailer plug never left me feeling like i got it twisted properly. Seems like the outside coating wants to rotate. I scrolled through that marine how to page. I should make sure my plug is twisting all the way.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe smartplug is available in 50 amp.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Shore power plug conversion?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.