cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retracting jacks while unhooked

Fnp5150
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a dumb question, but here goes. I need to fully retract all my jacks on my Cougar so I can zero out the autolevel feature. In the past I've hooked up to the truck and then retracted. Just saw a video where someone retracted them while unhooked (was a different brand fiver), and it worked fine. I'm worried that my camper will go so low to the ground that it will damage my drain pipes for grey and black water. Is this possible, or do the manufacturers plan for this ahead of time and build them with enough room?
15 REPLIES 15

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Not sure what you mean by zeroing out your Autolevel feature. If you just want to reprogram the level point of the trailer you don't need retract the jacks. Level the trailer and tell the system the new level per your owner's manual.

Exactly, I have done it several times. Read the manual and loose your man card, never.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Fnp5150 wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but here goes. I need to fully retract all my jacks on my Cougar so I can zero out the autolevel feature. In the past I've hooked up to the truck and then retracted. Just saw a video where someone retracted them while unhooked (was a different brand fiver), and it worked fine. I'm worried that my camper will go so low to the ground that it will damage my drain pipes for grey and black water. Is this possible, or do the manufacturers plan for this ahead of time and build them with enough room?

I don't know what you mean by "zero out the auto-level". If you mean calibrating for level then you simply follow the instructions in the manual which don't require full retraction.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Pipes are or should be close to the tires. That area will never get close to the ground.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Our Big Country does the same as "Me Again's", sort of like it's going to church and kneeling down. Weird as all get all. Just don't put your truck under it and hit auto retract.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
My six point on the Bighorn lowers the front way down at the start of the auto level process. Never a problem. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what you mean by zeroing out your Autolevel feature. If you just want to reprogram the level point of the trailer you don't need retract the jacks. Level the trailer and tell the system the new level per your owner's manual.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Transfer the weight onto the frame via blocks & go at it doing whatever you wan to do with the legs.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Would it work the same if you put heavy duty jack stands under the frame or does it need weight to reset?
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
Yep my Montana does this every time lowers the front all the way then does it's thing
CarnationSailor wrote:
Sometimes my auto level system will bottom out the front Jack's as part of the leveling process. Actually displays "bottoming out jacks". So I doubt it puts undue stress on the front axle.

Same on mine .

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep my Montana does this every time lowers the front all the way then does it's thing
CarnationSailor wrote:
Sometimes my auto level system will bottom out the front Jack's as part of the leveling process. Actually displays "bottoming out jacks". So I doubt it puts undue stress on the front axle.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ed9824v wrote:
sound like you need and inexpensive tripod stand for the king pin, I assume you have a 5th wheel. I used that for putting different feet bottoms on the legs.

A heavy duty expensive one, maybe...one of the cheap ones, not a chance I would try it.

I've found when I try to cut corners...that's when I break things.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
An email or phone call to the manufacturer should give you the answers you need.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I think that lowering it all the way down in the front will put a lot of stress on the front axle, as well.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL