cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting a Full-time adventure and need guidance

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Starting a full-time adventure for who-knows how long. Need some guidance from you full timers. Not, IMPO but real guidance. How to handle drivers licenses, tags, other things we might be responsible for that we are overlooking.

Appreciate your thoughts
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In another place we had a saying "Your millage may vary"

Some states (I think Texas, Florida, Nevada and South Dakota) are friendly to full timers and will let you register to a post office box store.

Excapees. has such a store in Texas. And there are several companies in SD that let you register to their store.

All 4 states have advantages and disagvantages I won't go into them.

Most of the other states require you to register to a HOUSE. or residence facility (Apartment. Condo, Whatever)

I "live" with my Brother in Michigan. My license and registration carry his address. I vote in his elections. (AND DON'T FORGET TO VOTE) if he gets any official mail he contacts me and I tell him where to send it.

I buy him the occasional dinner at one of his favorite eateries (gift card to Cheesecake Factory)

he's my Bionic Brother (Pacemaker and Automatic implanted defibrillator.. thankfully I'm not there yet)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I am full-time (since 2004) and a FL resident. While I was traveling for all of last year, I used St. Brendan's Isle out of Green Cove Springs, FL for my mailing address, DL and other important things. They did a great job with mail forwarding. Costs were reasonable.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you are already a Fla resident (one of the 3 best states for FT) use your current address if possible or set up a mail forwarding service. Several in Greencove Springs, FL.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Escapees, fulltime forum
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Residency
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Guidance" are opinions.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As much as possible switch to automated online payments. I don't think we have any paper bills anymore.

If you will be stationary in one park for long enough to meet residency requirements, you can use that address (assuming they allow mail). A lot of snowbirds who return to the same winter park for several months each winter can meet this requirement.

If not, two primary options for an official mailing address:
- A trusted friend/family member let's you use their address.
- Use a mail forwarding service.

We've been doing it since 2007 and use my sister's address.

For government purposes, you remain a resident of the last jurisdiction you held residency but it can be a hassle. When we moved onto our boat, I went to update my drivers license shortly after. At the time we had a PO Box but the secretary of state said we couldn't live at the post office...we then proceeded thru about 10 min of circular logic before she suggested do we live with a relative...hint hint...A quick call to my sister to confirm she didn't mind and I had a new license.

Even though that is technically against the rules, a number of the mail forwarding services will help you sign up for residency (florida and south dakota are the two most popular). For the most part the states don't care because they get some taxes and fees plus you count toward the census which brings in federal dollars of which they use very little on you. Do make sure to look at tax implications if you choose a new state. Income tax and personal property tax can be a gotcha (hence the popularity of florida and south dakota).

Health insurance is another tricky one. Most health insurance is state specific. They cover short periods for vacation outside the state but they really expect you to be in the state for the most part. Also be up front with your car/RV insurance, you don't want to find out after the accident that you are not technically covered.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Starting a full-time adventure for who-knows how long. Need some guidance from you full timers. Not, IMPO but real guidance. How to handle drivers licenses, tags, other things we might be responsible for that we are overlooking.

Appreciate your thoughts

Go to the Escapees web pages, much of the information you are looking for is there.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You may get a better response if you ask the mods to move your post to the Full-Time RVing forum.

But, that's just my personal opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚
Enjoy your adventure.