Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Purchasing question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Purchasing question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing a boat on which the present owner has a loan. I figured many RV's were purchased with the same senario I'm facing. How does one protect themselves as a buyer and seller in this situation where one may never end up w a clean title or even the purchased item? In this case we live a 1000 miles apart and would probably meet halfway to conclude the transaction. Any pointers from the vast trove of experince at rvnet would be much appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Colo Native

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did this with my TT. It is real scary to let someone have your TT But you have to have faith or do it at a bank. He give me a Cashiers check and I called the CU it was issued at and used the phone# from an internet search and called them to verify it when it was good I signed a Bill Of Sale. the buyer was just worried as I am I don't have the title and I will send it when it comes from the county and then I will send it registered Mail w/return receipt. I look at it this way he has the TT and I have the title. Other than it's a leap of Faith.

2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you could use a wire transfer at the bank very safe for both parties. ask your bank manager he can set it up. seller knows he got payed and you get the title.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

you could use a wire transfer at the bank very safe for both parties. ask your bank manager he can set it up. seller knows he got payed and you get the title.

The title is held by the bank where his note is. He is contacting his bank to find out if they will facilitate the transaction by recieving my wire transfer, releasing the lien, and forwarding me a clean title.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd make the "extra" drive and conduct the transaction in the office of the lien holder....bank, CU etc.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

I'd make the "extra" drive and conduct the transaction in the office of the lien holder....bank, CU etc.

That's a good idea, but I just bagged the whole deal. Found a similar boat new leftover at a dealer for a couple dollars more. Not quite as well equipped but will have orginal warranty on trailer, hull, and motor and it's much closer to home.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

midnightsadie wrote:

The title is held by the bank where his note is. He is contacting his bank to find out if they will facilitate the transaction by recieving my wire transfer, releasing the lien, and forwarding me a clean title.

If you had gone for the boat in question, this ^ would be the best way.
Have done transactions similarly before. No problems if each party gets verification from their own bank.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all good advice.
I don't trust anyone, even my friends when it comes to title and liens.
A friend wanted to borrow $5,000 and it was important. I said okay "give me the title to your truck and make me the lien holder."

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cpt has a new boat, cpt has a new boat...!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask your bank if they have a branch you can meet at and if they will assist with the loan payoff along with providing payment to the seller. You could arrange your own loan at the same time unless you are paying cash.

Of course you will want to inspect the boat in person. Maybe at a local lake and take it for a spin.

The local deal is a far better idea.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Purchasing question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.