Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Rig for two couples?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rig for two couples?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does one of them already own a big ole truck to tow a 5th wheel? A toyhauler with a separate garage could work. Put a residential bed back there. TV and maybe a porta potty for going #1 in the middle of the night.

A class C might work better for driving into tight spots. Plus others can relax in the living area while driving down the road.

I have no idea the tow capacities. But maybe a Class C toying a small travel trailer?

morley

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Does one of them already own a big ole truck to tow a 5th wheel? A toyhauler with a separate garage could work. Put a residential bed back there. TV and maybe a porta potty for going #1 in the middle of the night.

A class C might work better for driving into tight spots. Plus others can relax in the living area while driving down the road.

I have no idea the tow capacities. But maybe a Class C toying a small travel trailer?

Just what I was thinking about the size of truck that you would need for such a size trailer? The original poster talked about the possibility of liquidating the truck and trailer after the trip was over (be it successful or not)
This could be a big financial hit because of depreciation and small usage for such a short period of time.

2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter wrote:

No company makes an RV big enough for 2 couples.

Exactly my thoughts . I don't think I could do it for a weekend but that's just me. I am sure there are couples that could make this work but I don't think there are a bunch.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 01:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who would buy the truck and who would buy the coach?. If 1 trailer, a large toy hauler modded to meet their needs (large rear bath, convert garage to bedroom, rear LR set up. A downside would be if rear door is set up to use as a patio, outside access only. Perhaps a toy hauler that has a side patio? Kitchen and main living area adequate for all 4 adults? Would each couple share in the RV expense in event of a problem and share driving duties? I know 2 couples that rode in a Caddy from CNY to the Grand Canyon and western states (some 5,000+ miles if I recall right) and this was not the big Caddy either (remember the late 80's early 90's Caddy's?). Well they survived, so it can work.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Wadcutter wrote:

No company makes an RV big enough for 2 couples.
lol

Made me and my GF laugh too.

She did not laugh at the Chinese symbol of strife, however.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming the two couples have traveled together before in a confined space and are still friends (that absolutely has to precede any decision to buy an RV), I'd lean towards a motorhome with 2 baths. At least there's some space to move around a bit, change seating options, and see the countryside through a nice big panoramic windshield. Just a thought.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

Friend asked me what kind of camper I’d recommend for two couples to travel together. They are wanting to take a big, multi-month US and Canada tour with his sister and her husband. After the trip they’d decide to keep the rig, trade it for something else or just sell it.

They are fairly close, but I’m not sure I’d want to be confined to a 5th wheel and the cab of a truck for so much time with any other couple [emoticon]

I told him I thought he should be looking for a bunkhouse, but I couldn’t say which one. As most are designed with the idea of kids in the bunk area, the accommodations are going to be a little less comfortable in the back.

Is there such a unicorn with a comfortable bunk area? My personal thought would be a bunk room with a TV and comfortable seating so you can get away from each other if needed. Obviously the bunk area reduces the living area, so things are tighter when you are together.

Thoughts?

A big toyhauler with full garage, converted to living quarters, could work. One with a half-bath in the garage.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

Just when you think there is nothing new to hear...heh. Better to get two smaller TT remember the Chinese symbol for strife is two women under the same roof.

Nailed it!

And the first strife, who gets the bunk?
This is along the lines of what i was thinking, is this going be a joint buy, if so, then who get the nice King/Queen bed and who gets stuck in the tiny cramped bunks.
Also,if selling after this trip, do they both realize that you will probably not get back anywhere near your monetary investment.
Many of us don't even consider our investment, and get back more in our experiences and joys of traveling, camping/RV'ing than we will worry about in money.

Could do a week-on / week-off rotation...

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

=There= ya go!

Lyle

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This would be one couple buying and owning the rig. The already have a truck for their massive horse trailer, so that isn’t an issue.

Toy hauler might have its appeal since he has a Harley.

A private room with a comfortable bed, private half bath at least and a couple of recliners would go a long way toward preserving peace.

Still not sure I’d do it, but if they enjoy it, good for them.

I’d go for trip where we both had a rig and even stayed at the same places and collaborated on meals, but it would be awfully nice to step into your own home every night and to have our own transportation so we could see and do what we wanted. Even if it ended up with the women going one place and the men another.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rig for two couples?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.