cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to add solar battery charger for storage use

Dan_Diego
Explorer
Explorer
I want to add solar battery maintainer to my attitude toy hauler. I intend to hang solar panel in a trailer window, running cables to the battery. The panel would only be connected when in storage. I am currently using two GC2 6 volt batteries connected in series. I would be grateful for any advice or hardware recommendations.
Cheers!
Dan

2005 Ford F-250 Fx4 Longbed
2007 26' FSAK Eclipse Attitude Toyhauler
20 REPLIES 20

HRTKD
Explorer
Explorer
A lead acid battery will discharge about 4% a week.

More info at the Progressive Dynamics web site.

The PD web site was one of the first that came up for me on a Google search. The number they are using is inline with what I've heard from some sources, a little high compared to other sources (5% per month). A LiFePO4 battery will discharge much less when disconnected and may be another option.

My 150 watt solar panel on the roof does a great job of keeping the battery bank charge when the trailer is in storage.
2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB S4
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dan Diego wrote:
Why do you want to keep 12v connected in storage? Just curious

I have and use a battery disconnect switch on my trailer when in storage.

Due to health issues, I was unable to perform any maintenance on my trailer for seven months, last year. In that time, the batteries had run down significantly. That is why I felt compelled to take some action. The easiest thing for me to do was the small solar panel. I will see soon enough if it was a good decision or not.

I am encouraged that you get great life out of the battery by charging before storing and disconnecting cable. Thanks for your advice.

if there is significant drain with the disconnect open then you must have something connected "ahead" of the disconnect, perhaps the breakaway switch or tongue jack? Try disconnecting the ground wire AT the battery.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
yeah i would go big also...I have two 12v lithium batteries connected to 420watt solars...love it especially the lithium batts.
2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800

Dan_Diego
Explorer
Explorer

I have and use a battery disconnect switch on my trailer when in storage.

Due to health issues, I was unable to perform any maintenance on my trailer for seven months, last year. In that time, the batteries had run down significantly. That is why I felt compelled to take some action. The easiest thing for me to do was the small solar panel. I will see soon enough if it was a good decision or not.

I am encouraged that you get great life out of the battery by charging before storing and disconnecting cable. Thanks for your advice.
Cheers!
Dan

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Just keep an eye on your battery levels.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dan Diego wrote:
I do not disagree with your post. My situation is that I do not have access to electrical at my storage yard. I also do not have the ability to keep my trailer in my driveway over night without running afoul of my HOA. The effort to pull my batteries, charge them for a day, then return them to the trailer is significant with recent shoulder problems. For me, this seemed worth the risk.

I would not go to all that trouble. batteries should be fully charged after camping by pulling it home. Once parked in storage with 90% plus SOC disconnect the positive lead and walk away, reconnect when you return. You'll have batteries in nearly the same SOC as when you parked it. BIL has a battery for his boat (standard lead acid group 24 Marine) that is 10+ years old. He disconnects when he parks it and all is good.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
jdc1 wrote:
Yep...go big, as dedmiston says. 100-200watts will keep you happy when you're out there in Glamis or Borrego.

We put in 700 watts of panels. You can see the sun get dim when it comes over our roof. I think we even get a little charge from the full moon.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dan_Diego
Explorer
Explorer
I do not disagree with your post. My situation is that I do not have access to electrical at my storage yard. I also do not have the ability to keep my trailer in my driveway over night without running afoul of my HOA. The effort to pull my batteries, charge them for a day, then return them to the trailer is significant with recent shoulder problems. For me, this seemed worth the risk.
Cheers!
Dan

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dan Diego wrote:
Thank you all for the advice. I am not yet committed to the full solar roof option. I was just looking for something to keep the batteries from running down in a period of inactivity.
I opted for a cheap fix. $30 7 watt solar panel from harbor freight. $33 Battery Tender solar regulator. $10 extension cable. When in storage, I put the 14x14 solar panel in the window with the most sun exposure and have it cabled directly to the battery. So far, so good. I will have better feedback when in storage for a period longer than a month.

Return them. Fully charge the battery bank. Disconnect the ground cable. Why waste your money?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dan_Diego
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the advice. I am not yet committed to the full solar roof option. I was just looking for something to keep the batteries from running down in a period of inactivity.
I opted for a cheap fix. $30 7 watt solar panel from harbor freight. $33 Battery Tender solar regulator. $10 extension cable. When in storage, I put the 14x14 solar panel in the window with the most sun exposure and have it cabled directly to the battery. So far, so good. I will have better feedback when in storage for a period longer than a month.
Cheers!
Dan

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last winter I used a 5W panel for 300AH of lead acid. It also powered 2 ultrasonic rodent deterrents. We aren't a major winter sun zone.

You don't need to spend mega bucks!
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Save your money, charge the batteries fully and disconnect the ground battery cable. Batteries will not lose their charge.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
But I say “go appropriate” based on an energy survey of what you use (amp hours) or what you would like to use. Throwing money (solar watts) at a problem (need more power) isn’t the answer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Putting the panel in a window may reduce the power output a LOT.

Far better to permanently mount on the roof.

For 2 golf cart batteries I'd recommend 140 watts (or more).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.