cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BC Residents only

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
BC is making it very clear that it is BC residents only in the provincial campgrounds. If a camper were to have non-BC plates, they could/will be refused.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/300622/Camping-in-BC-provincial-parks-for-BC-residents-only-this-ye...

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
39 REPLIES 39

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
BC is making it very clear that it is BC residents only in the provincial campgrounds. If a camper were to have non-BC plates, they could/will be refused.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/300622/Camping-in-BC-provincial-parks-for-BC-residents-only-this-ye...

Gary Haupt
Cool Idea. Maybe Arizona could do the same and keep the state campgrounds open only to AZ residents during the snowbird season.

I sat on my fingers for 24 hours, wondering if I had the energy to respond to this sort of trash talk. I guess I do..

You have singled out snowbirds, so I will take it personally. Your comment is so typical of the nonsense coming out of some folks mouths. Protectionism, US only...that idea may appeal...right up until it doesn't meet the countries needs, then it's all about 'now what'. Be ever so careful what you wish for..water, oil, foods..oh...airfields to park your aircraft and passengers in the event of another tragic event.

I can hear the voices now...'we don't need...'. Oh yeah...you do. By all means..stay out of ours...or be thankful we are good neighbors who are doing what is necessary too look after things. Soon enough, people will be able to cross the border and carry on with their lives. And people like you don't need to travel BC to get north...take the ferry.

Gary Haupt
So it's OK for BC to keep people out but not AZ? And you take it personally? Did I forget the smiley face? Am I not allowed to have an opinion on snowbirds? Well since you brought it up, we locals can't stay at our own state parks because out-of-towners are occupying the campsites for 6 months straight. That's right, we don't have access to our own state parks. good thing is AZ state parks has limited stays to 2 weeks. At least they see the problem when others don't. Have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚

Honestly, if you are talking about restrictions this year due to Covid, then I think AZ has every right to restrict access to AZ residents only. And the snowbirds can't cross the border right now anyway, except to return to their own country. If you government in choosing to not restrict access during this time, then I trust they have a good reason. But I'm not sure how this relates to snowbirds.

If you are ranting about non-covid times, then I can rant right along side with you as if I normally don't book my June sites in January, I won't get them.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
BC Parks reservation site crashed the other day because it was so busy. BC parks has gone all reservation for its most popular parks. In the past it has been difficult for locals to get sites because tour companies buy up reservations in blocks. Fraser Way is Canada's largest rental company and has a Canadian football field size lot near us where they keep some of their rental units. Their busy season would have started with the Victoria Day weekend but hardly any of them have moved. None of their rental units are more than two years old and there are quite a few 1T diesel pickups with truck campers sitting there doing nothing. Expensive.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bobs your uncle, just have your BC buddies bring a spare BC license plate to slap on your rig, facing the road!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Just made reservations yesterday at my favourite bc private campground. As per their Facebook page โ€œwe welcome all Canadians, but ask you to respect our Covid guidelines and please stay home if you are Iโ€™llโ€

Alberta provincial parks have a similar AB residents policy this summer, and they say it is to prevent overcrowding. But this is only provincial parks, does not apply to private or municipal. I a, curious to see what guidelines the national parks put out June 1

luv2tup
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
Funny... I canโ€™t find nothing on first come first serve sites, BC Parks only talk about reservations.

That's because the for profit private contractors (some of whom also own private RV parks) want guaranteed income. A first come first served campsite could go for days without generating income. That's why they negotiate with RV rental companies for large blocks of campsites at the popular campgrounds during the summer. Ever wonder why BC provincial campgrounds are only open from May to September.... there's not enough cash flow!

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
azdryheat wrote:

So it's OK for BC to keep people out but not AZ? And you take it personally? Did I forget the smiley face? Am I not allowed to have an opinion on snowbirds? Well since you brought it up, we locals can't stay at our own state parks because out-of-towners are occupying the campsites for 6 months straight. That's right, we don't have access to our own state parks. good thing is AZ state parks has limited stays to 2 weeks. At least they see the problem when others don't. Have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚

its the same everywhere, in BC here I cant book a site as it is booked by tour companies, or people from Europe or the US or heck anywhere in the world, same as Banff and Jasper, the harder things is we cant really camp in the winter so most of our parks have a 4-6 month season then there closed. they may be open for winter camping at a reduced rate but no services or anything and camping in a couple feet of snow just isn't fun all the time. at least you guys have camping all year round, and why would you want to camp in a snowbird park anyways, might as well stay at walmart ๐Ÿ˜‰

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
noteven wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

So if I show up in my Ontario plated MH and a copy of my several BC property tax bills they will refuse me? That wonโ€™t end well for them.......

The plates on the vehicle donโ€™t determine residency.

Usually health card.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

So if I show up in my Ontario plated MH and a copy of my several BC property tax bills they will refuse me? That wonโ€™t end well for them.......

The plates on the vehicle donโ€™t determine residency.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
Flyboy320 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt
Cool Idea. Maybe Arizona could do the same and keep the state campgrounds open only to AZ residents during the snowbird season.

I sat on my fingers for 24 hours, wondering if I had the energy to respond to this sort of trash talk. I guess I do..

You have singled out snowbirds, so I will take it personally. Your comment is so typical of the nonsense coming out of some folks mouths. Protectionism, US only...that idea may appeal...right up until it doesn't meet the countries needs, then it's all about 'now what'. Be ever so careful what you wish for..water, oil, foods..oh...airfields to park your aircraft and passengers in the event of another tragic event.

I can hear the voices now...'we don't need...'. Oh yeah...you do. By all means..stay out of ours...or be thankful we are good neighbors who are doing what is necessary too look after things. Soon enough, people will be able to cross the border and carry on with their lives. And people like you don't need to travel BC to get north...take the ferry.

Gary Haupt

Well said Gary. Thank you

Two thumbs up.

X2 Go Gary!

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Flyboy320 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

Gary Haupt

Two thumbs up.

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

Gary Haupt

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

Gary Haupt
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
crosscheck wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
the only thing that was done is reservations are closed for no BC residents, if you previously had a reservation and you are from out of BC it will still be valid and you can come to FCFS sites. I think you'll see a lot of provinces going this way for the summer to try encourage "stay vacations" to help with COVID

Steve

As per BC Parks , non residents who have prior reservations for BC parks have until June 15th to contact them for a full refund. All non resident reservations are cancelled and after May 25th, if a non resident tries to make a reservation at a BC park, it will be rejected.

Dave

ya seen that, two different news stations reporting two different things.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
BobsYourUncle wrote:
I've been wondering about this very topic myself, and how things will play out. I have read some conflicting information, depending on the source.

A group of us are planning a fishing trip to a lake near Merritt the first weekend in June.
Several of us are attending. 2 from Penticton, 1 from OK Falls, 1 from Kelowna, and myself from Alberta....

I'm wondering if I will run into any kind of challenges since i am no longer a BC resident. I used to live in Penticton years ago.

Location is a rough, totally unserviced area by a lake, FCFS. Park ranger wanders through and collects a nominal fee based on nights spent.

Hope I don't drive all the way from Calgary, only to be turned away....

Could leave the TT home, come out in my car and occupy a spot in a buddy's MH. I prefer my own space though.

Usually there is a number you can call for who ever looks after the park, I would call and ask. every time I watch the news I get a different meaning, so I am not sure if anyone knows what's going on. one said if there were prior reservations they would be honored, the next said they would be refunded and any new ones would be cancelled with out a refund. one says it is for reservations only the next says it is for all....

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100