cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I carry a spare tire?

AlwaysDreaming
Explorer
Explorer
Scene: On our first cross country tour with our 28 Ft. Class A Gas Motorhome, 50 miles outside Winslow, AZ on a hot Desert afternoon. All of a sudden, the TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) sounds off, rapid loss of pressure in the passenger rear inside tire. I immediately pull off and call for Emergency Roadside assistance. They ask for the tire size, Goodyear G670 RV 245/70R19.5. They said $600 and they have to order it, could be a week or two to get the tire.

So thatโ€™s my nightmare. I want to carry spare tire/wheel or just the tire.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Is it a common occurrence?
Are most of the flat tires a tread puncture that can be plugged and be run on for 500 miles?
Can most roadside service plug the tire.

I priced a spare tire system: Tire: $400; Wheel: $200; Roadmaster 195225 Spare Tire Carrier for Motorhomes $595; Hi/Lo Hitch $95; Lug Nuts, 1 Locking.
Grand Total: $1300.

Does anyone have a cheaper solution?

Does anyone carry just a tire? How do you carry it on the Motorhome?

Thanks, Al
25 REPLIES 25

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Another think to consider is whether or not you'll have cellular service when you need a tire changed. It's an easier decision with a Class C and much lighter tires.

Yep. Had a wheel crack on the inside of the rim last year up in the Kiamichi mtns. of Ok & NO cell service. Glad I had a spare for the 5er . I wouldn't have an rv without a spare unless it was one of those with wheels I couldn't change & at 71 those wheel sizes I can change are getting smaller everyday.

AlwaysDreaming
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone:
The majority of posters recommend to carry a "spare".

I believe that a TPMS is essential monitoring sensor and will protect you from catastrophic failure. Also a portable inflation compressor is a must.

To clarify, I would never try to change a tire on a Class A Motorhome. I am trying to avoid a delay and some expense by carrying a spare tire. I have roadside assistance.

I don't believe a rim is necessary to carry. The rubber tire is most important.

The $1300 solution is nice, but I think I am going carry just the tire instead. My plan is to bag the tire and mount it on top of the rear 4"x4" Bumper. The bumper will carry the tire weight and I will secure to the back wall.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I always carrier a spare.
Also I rebuilt the spare tire carrier so it's easier to get it down and put it back up.
One thing more that I've done is put a remote pump on my hydraulic jack, so I do not have to lay under the mh while jacking it up.

Dusty

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I have RV'd solo for almost 30 years and almost 200K miles. Always carried a spare. Needed it once, last year, when a road hazard destroyed a new tire somewhere in Eastern Oregon. I had a cell signal and was on pavement for the first time in days. Called AAA, they contacted a local guy. He came and did the job and I was underway again within an hour. That is service!

As I have aged, I have become disabled and no way can I change the tire myself. My part of the job is to have a spare in good condition, to have good insurance and roadside assistance coverage, and to carry a means of summoning appropriate help (both cell phone and Garmin InReach). A prepared traveler is a happier traveler!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you carry a spare tire you have the type you want. If you don't you get what is available, if the right size is available.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam service provider charged me $127 to mount a 14" tire that I purchased from them for $130. Wonder what they would charge for a big tire.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
With Motorhomes, VERY FEW rv'ers have the tools and the Strength to replace a bad tire. Too HEAVY and too hard to break the Lug Nuts loose. SAME reason you do NOT purchase a Tire AND Wheel and put in your storage. What you do, is purchase a SPARE RUBBER tire and install in the storage. It is a LOT easier and lighter to get in and out. Since you will be having to use Road Side service, THEY will remove the bad Tire/wheel and then can MOUNT your spare rubber on the wheel and get you going. The biggest headache for an RV'er is to have a destroyed Tire and they have to order a new rubber to get you going. Having the rubber on the RV saves time and money. Once it is done then purchase another Rubber Tire at your earliest convienance. Doug

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You know the answer to this question.
In about 40% of the West there is no roadside assistance.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always carried one in my 40ft DP but my current 36ft DP don't have any room for it. Its sitting in my garage right now while I decide what to do with it. Won't fit in the Smart Car toad. By the way the new Good Year tire and the used 22.5 rim cost me around $350.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Spare Tire: Don't leave home without it. JMO

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I am the type of person who cannot imagine not having a spare. Although it has been loooooong time since I used one, other than the trip home with my new to me Toyota.

Cheaper, I would start with the tire and rim, can be picked up used, depending on size may be the same size big trucks use, so there are truck recycling yards and rv recycling yards. Google how to read a tire date code and don't buy a 5 year old tire!

I am sure there are cheaper mounting systems, would have to look into that. I just moved the spare off my rear to underneath, cost me about $25 in material. Admittedly a much lighter tire and rim.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, always have a spare. A tire at least.
In today's world the tire retailers only stock the fastest movers, and RV tires are not in that group. If I have a problem I want a quality matching tire w/o waiting a day or 3 for it.
The other thing is check the spare's pressure on a regular basis if it's already on a wheel. It doesn't do you any good if it's almost flat when you pull it out. Don't forget to check the one on the truck also and if you replace the truck tires put the best one that comes off on the spare wheel. You don't need the original spare under there 10 or 15 years later. We don't all run brand new trucks.
Puma 30RKSS

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
LadyRVer wrote:
Having been in a somewhat similar situation, I would at least carry the tire if you have the space to put it. Road service can always mount it for you. I got taken really bad for a tire, like almost 2 times the price, when I had a problem. Won't be without one again.

Same thing happened to us. The tire was salvageable, but the tech sent to us insisted it was shot and wanted to take it with him. We kept it and had it repaired the next morning. He made us wait 6 hours on the side of the road and then brought a used tire with a sidewall patch and charged us almost $400 for it. He put it on and like I said, we drove 22 miles to a tire shop we had called and they fixed us up the next morning. Since then we carry an unmounted spare. It determined what new toad we got a few years ago because we keep the tire in the back end of the toad, a Flex . It just fits. . . 39", that 22.5" tire.

Have only needed one that one time in 15 years of fulltiming, but we wouldn't be without it.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

js218
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 1 drive, 1 steer, and 2 trailer tires all mounted. Keep them in the trailer while traveling
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim